Main Menu

Is the new editor trying to go back in time?

Started by Thread Zero, 22 March, 2002, 05:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

According to an A Diggle post on the 2000AD news group, we've two more of his commissioned stories to come: 13 and Asylum.

So I am presuming VC's and Rogue are new commissions by new Tharg, Matt Smith.

It seems there's a concerted effort to try and recreate 2k of yesteryear.

As long as the writers respect the original source material, (please Mr Abnett lay off the shits, funts etc) they should work.

And if Matt makes the price 16p again, I will be one happy scojo!

scojo  

Rambo

Well, I'm awaiting the new Rogue stuff with some trepidation.

When Rogue Trooper was revamped as Friday (after losing its way originally with the 'Hit' storyline) I was pleased. I liked it - particulary things like the Saharan Ice Belt War.

Then they brought the chips back. Everything still ok. Slightly dodgy way of bringing them back, but it was superb stuff.

The wtf did they have to go and bring the old Rogue back for? And then completely lose track of the difference between the 'old' and 'new' Nu Earths...

The whole thing completely lost all credibility.

Then we have Mercy Heights. There's a blue guy in it - oh, it must be Rogue. Let's bring him back... ugh!

So then we have that worthless, storyless Tor Cyan crap. What a f*cking waste!

Revisiting Johnny Alpha and Strontium Dog is a great idea. The VCs - great. But please, why can't you let poor old Rogue lie in piece? Hasn't the poor bastard suffered enough??

Thread Zero

Well Rambo, you seem to be one of the few here who liked the Friday era. Most people didn't. Me included!

From what I've heard, the new Rogue is really the original Rogue set on Nu Earth. Back to basics stuff. So it will just be like Strontium Dog. Untold tales now told.

This (hopefully) should keep the new stories faithful.

Maybe while looking for the Traitor General, Rogue is forced to help someone, perform a mission etc. Just an idea.

scojo

Dominic O'Rourke

tell him to keep clear of my mum! I dont want to end up the bastard child of a time travlin alien editor, no sir-ee!

Speaking of the Diggle, nice to see him get an eagle award, hope he finds somewhere to stick it!

tee hee
Member No. 10

Rambo

Well, if I were still a twelve year old, it might appeal.

I used to love the original rogue trooper, but then I grew up a bit and realised the stories were rather simplistic and predictable. I also hated the fact the first page was almost always just a recap of what had previously happened. Why not just a single quick panel?

I have just about all of them in collected form, but feel no great desire to re-read them, unlike plenty of other things I could name.

If it's going to be the same old stuff, I really can't see the point.

Thread Zero

Well in my humble opinion, the simple stories of the past made 2k what it is.

Look at the last few Tor Cyan tales. I didn't even understand them!

Think of all the great 2k stories. Dredd, Slaine of old, Robo, S Doggy, Rogue, VC's etc.. They were all written in a simple way. Once you get writers trying to be too smart (some of John Smith's stuff comes to mind), you get a confusing story.

I mean, can you honestly say you understood Pussy Foot 5?

scojo

Rambo

I certainly didn't like Pussyfoot 5.

Some of the very best stuff ever has been things like Zenith and Halo Jones. Not simple, or cliched. You must admit, the original Rogue Trooper was about as subtle as a sledgehammer!

If they can do it right (but with names like Helm, Bagman and Gunnar, how can you avoid it being embarassin?) with a more intelligent, modern approach to it (rather than it being WW1/2 with a blue guy running around in it) then it might work - but I'm not jumping for joy.

And, why is it that "Helm" and "Gunnar" are scandinavian type names - but they're supposed to be Southers, not Norts?? Never made sense to me! :)

Thread Zero

And, why is it that "Helm" and "Gunnar" are scandinavian type names - but they're supposed to be Southers, not Norts?? Never made sense to me! :)

Er no offence Rambo, but Helm is short for Helmet and Gunnar is long for Gun!

Bagman is Bag, by the way.

scojo stating the obvious:)

Rambo

Helm is also short for Helmawr, a name, and Gunnar is also a real name.

Or didn't you know that?

Thread Zero

Course I knew that.

Bagman is short for Bagathar.

I'm a bad liar, ain't I?

scojo

Rambo

There's also Helmut or something like that, too...

Which would have been just too ridiculous, I feel!