Main Menu

Recent posts

General / Re: Wrap It Up
Last post by Colin YNWA - Today at 03:39:32 PM
I love the 'fade out' of the action on the back cover and it really leds into the power of the action on the cover.

And boy oh boy even on a glossy cover the colour lose from that original is quite something!
Events / Re: Forbidden Planet events
Last post by karlos - Today at 03:39:10 PM
Terry Moore is great and the second best Moore
Film & TV / Re: Fallout TV show.
Last post by Barrington Boots - Today at 03:38:15 PM
Finished this yesterday after carefully eking it out. It's really great - lots of nods to the games but still accessible for those who haven't played them (apparently) and importantly, really engaging. Looking forward to a second series.
General / Re: Wrap It Up
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 03:28:24 PM
19 - Wrap-Spasm, Book II

A couple of Slaines from a couple of Simons...

Prog 688's ...and he didn't think it too many (1990; Simon Bisley) has Slaine warping out in his wild boar codpiece, and taking out a combination of sea demons and skeletons. The action fades out on the back cover rather a lot. Great wild-eyed horse action, there.

---

Prog 1882's Chop Chop! (2014; Simon Davis) features an older, more mutton-chopped Slaine up against a twisted giant. The crowd of onlooking giant-bruvvers has diminished in the final rendering compared to the rough.

---

Next: I'm Batman...
Film & TV / Re: Apple TV Neuromancer Serie...
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 03:18:44 PM
I can't remember where I heard the quote, which was about media, but it was "90% of everything is shit". And then there's Shogun.
Events / Re: Forbidden Planet events
Last post by stacey - Today at 03:00:57 PM
I think it's one of those marmite books, I absolutely loved it but know other folks who hated it. I really loved Echo too and Rachel Rising. I wish I could make this event!
Film & TV / Re: Apple TV Neuromancer Serie...
Last post by The Legendary Shark - Today at 01:55:00 PM
Quote from: judgeurko on Today at 01:23:42 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on Today at 10:45:52 AMWhy is all the good stuff on channels like this and never ever make it toeven netfilx/prime never mind cooncil telly  :(
Because Neflix/prime are trash

Well, yes, they're trash. All media is essentially trash from Hollywood to Youtube, from novels to music. A high percentage of their content is mediocre at best, with a bit of decent stuff and a pinch of great stuff to make sifting through all the shite worthwhile, if not financially efficient. That seems to be more or less how everything within the fields of human endeavour work; produce as much as possible in the hopes that a sufficient portion will prove profitable enough to offset the losses incurred by the shite. For us peasants, living in sheds and with limited means available to contribute much to this ongoing experiment, other methods of accessing culture are necessary.  *cough*P1R4T3B4Y*cough*

Books & Comics / Re: Completely Self-absorbed T...
Last post by Colin YNWA - Today at 01:49:05 PM
Quote from: AlexF on Today at 11:36:45 AMI did eventaully read pretty much all the Claremont stuff as an adult, thanks to the Panini Pocket Books (excellent value comics in small size!), and it's good clean superhero soap opera comics.

These are great comics and bang for your bukc. Last time I tried the Morriosn X-Men run it was via these.

Quote from: AlexF on Today at 11:36:45 AM...especially the 'Classic X-Men' back ups. But I find these were more of a signpost to me that I should read more Vertigo comics, that do this kind of thing better, and in more depth.

Yeah those shorts are defo my fav X-Men stories these days. And John Bolton just knocked it out the park with them. I think you can get them in a seperate collection now that I should try out.

Quote from: AlexF on Today at 11:36:45 AMEveryone knows that Nightcrawler is the best, right? He just looks (and, frankly, acts) cooler than any other Marvel character by miles.

Quote from: Barrington Boots on Today at 11:55:25 AMNightcrawler is definitely the best! I always liked Colossus too.

YEH! Nightcrawler love in da house. He's such a cool and charming character. I'm always a bit amazed no one has found a way to give him a decent series of his own. I always pick them up and quickly pass. Mind the recent Uncanny Spider-man by our own Spurrioso was pretty good and I guess that counts.

Quote from: Barrington Boots on Today at 11:55:25 AMThe characters I actually think are pretty well crafted - they're all very distinct, with clear roles in the psuedo-family dynamic. I'm not sure about the forced nature of them, that might require a re-read. Again there's some nostalgia involved here.

Yeah I think many folks geton better with that. The family dynamic he went for worked so much better in Power Pack for me, hence dropping this one here. I'm guessing that won't work for many folks though. Mind I was chuffed with the positive reaction to that one I have to say.
Events / Re: Lawless 2024
Last post by Steve Green - Today at 01:27:31 PM
Yeah, for something you're just going to crash at, it's a lot (and you're going to spending money at the hotel over the 2 days) - I would have hoped anyone helping out might get discount.

I'll be honest, I'm torn on the shift to two days - I think they crammed in too many panels when it was a single day, and maybe this is an over-correction.

It's more worth the journey for people who are traveling a long distance, but I think it's kind of stuck by not being able to spread out in that location.