Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP

Mikey

Aw no - sad news about Linkous.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Banners

ARGH! Just seen this about Mark Linkous. I adore Sparklehorse, especially "Vivadixie..." and "Good Morning Spider". Saw the full band live twice - utterly brilliant. I've been waiting on my downloaded "Dark Night of the Soul" hoping for an eventual CD release, but today may be the time to play it for the first time. Sad, sad news...

M@

The Doctor Alt 8

Robert McCall, Viking Unmanned Mars Lander, 1970 india ink and acrylic on paper mounted on board, 29 x 46 1/2 inches. Courtesy of the artist.
by Jeff Harrison
Tucson AZ (SPX) Mar 05, 2010
Internationally noted artist Robert McCall died last Friday in Scottsdale, Ariz. The 90-year-old artist and Paradise Valley resident whose works are included in the University of Arizona Museum of Art, won decades of acclaim for his depiction of space and human space travel.
As much as anyone outside the scientific community, McCall popularized the U.S. space program with his fanciful, and often prescient, scenes of astronauts, their spacecrafts and operations on other worlds beyond Earth.

His works include a six-story high mural covering a wall at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. and the poster for the Oscar-winning 1968 Stanley Kubrick film, "2001: A Space Odyssey."

UAMA currently holds more than 200 of McCall's artwork, a sample of which were on exhibit for several months in 2008, coinciding with the UA-led NASA Phoenix Mars Mission.

Peter Wehinger, a staff astronomer and development officer at the UA Steward Observatory, said McCall followed in the footsteps of Chesley Bonestell, the artist whose work during the early and middle 20th century inspired science fiction and fueled public interest in space exploration.

Wehinger, a longtime friend of McCall and his wife, Louise, said McCall was a founding member of the astronomy board at Steward and helped fund a number of financially struggling students through the UA.

"About five or six years ago, he began to think about his work and we had many discussions about how and where they might go," Wehinger said. UAMA Director Charles Guerin, he said, gave McCall a warm and enthusiastic reception.

After several meetings at McCall's Paradise Valley studio they worked out an agreement to transfer the bulk of his work to UAMA. That included not only his paintings, but sketches, slides and even designs for the patches that NASA astronauts wore on their missions in space.

Guerin described McCall as a visionary as well as an exceptionally gifted artist.

"Bob was America's preeminent illustrator of the history of aviation, the NASA program and space flight in general. He had entree to some of the most remarkable aspects of American aviation history, including landing man on the Moon and the launch of the space shuttle.

"Much of his work was his interpretation of where we were going as a people. I don't even like to refer to it as science fiction. Bob saw the world in terms of what it would be and could be. He was an extraordinary individual."

Guerin said McCall's archives are a gift that "will allow young students to study his creative efforts, his remarkable artistic career."

McCall also spearheaded the creation of the Archive of Visual Arts at the museum. The Robert T. and Louise H. McCall Gallery at UAMA was named for the artist and his wife.

"He was the guy who would never stop working," said Wehinger. "When I visited him six months ago he had just completed a portrait of (Apollo 11 commander) Neil Armstrong for NASA and was starting on a painting for the U.S. Navy SEALS headquarters in Virginia."

radiator

Goaty

totally fuck up!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a207884/actor-corey-haim-dies-aged-38.html

always rememeber him in The Lost Boys....

But glad he managed to appears in The Lost Boys 2's ending. as it was best of that film.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WL4_1qVos8

COMMANDO FORCES

Remember kids.

Just say NO!

uncle fester

Oh dear. That's too early to check out. Although until now I always thought Corey Haim was the one on the right in that picture, Goaty.....

James Stacey

Quote from: uncle fester on 10 March, 2010, 03:14:02 PM
Oh dear. That's too early to check out. Although until now I always thought Corey Haim was the one on the right in that picture, Goaty.....
Well he is a Corey.

vzzbux

Wow, my age. Drugs, no sympathy.

The one on the right Cory Feldman imancipated from parents  IIRC.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Goaty on 10 March, 2010, 02:24:22 PM
totally fuck up!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a207884/actor-corey-haim-dies-aged-38.html

always rememeber him in The Lost Boys....

But glad he managed to appears in The Lost Boys 2's ending. as it was best of that film.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WL4_1qVos8

The candle that burns twice as bright burns half...oh wait, it's Corey haim.

ThryllSeekyr

Quoting the Wikipedea Entry for Corey Haim.....

QuoteOn March 10, 2010 it was reported that Corey Haim was taken to Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center in Burbank, California and pronounced dead at 02:15 (PST) (10:15 UTC). Although police reportedly told CBS Radio News that Haim died of an apparent overdose, police now state that an autopsy will determine the cause of death.[20][21]

So, I won't say drug overdose just yet. I made that mistake with Heath Ledger

What esle could it be .....

Red krytonite.

Lest we forget......

The Lost Boys Love that scene where he first meets the Frog brothers. Edgar and Allen in their parents store and tells them a issue of Superman has been shelved the wrong way.

The trenchcoat/bathrobe with the popped up collar.

Drive my Car Thats another great memory.

He seems diffrent now, older yes, but in this interview....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prZGEJ0rrhI&feature=related

....like a completey different guy.

Not sure which is the real Corey, maybe thats just the acting thing.

Anyway, Since it's taking me ages to type thsi, I have just read that he had some sort of flu & there might have been a problem with the medication he was given.

I never knew him.

Roger Godpleton

24 in all likelihood.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP