Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

Quoteit wasn't so much a horror story as a rather boring gothic romance novel.

Your mom was a rather boring gothic romance.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

M.I.K.

That actually doesn't even remotely surprise me.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: M.I.K. on 18 May, 2010, 09:49:14 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 18 May, 2010, 08:57:31 PM

How can i be wrong when you are confirming what i was saying that it is also Satanic ?

It's only considered Satanic because some theatrical prat in the 1960s nicked it and used it a few times after founding a previously non-existent 'church'. It had no links to the actual worship of The Devil or Satan previous to that and therefore has most definitely been misrepresented, not least by the aforementioned Anton LaVey himself.

The original meaning behind it has been twisted into something else and if that's not misrepresenting something, I don't know what is.

Ok then there is some debate going on as to wether Anton Levay was actually a Satanist or not due to his own definition of what Satan actually is but Anton Levay was a practicising Satanist so therefore it is linked to Satanism.The Church Of Satan was not a church in the sense that they had fixed/designated places of worship but as an organisation it did have followers and a membership so that hardly makes it non-existent.You could also try and argue that it was a Cult apart from the fact Anton Levay was an advocate of freethinking and freewill as to how you should worship Satan.He also didnt advocate blind worship.

"I am in league with the Devil as much as any mortal can possibly be" - Anton Levay.

Further to that as my point just wasnt about where the sign originated and Anton Levay etc it is now universally recognised as a representation of Baphomet and is an occult sign so it has taken on another meaning as i mentioned previously.It has been absorbed/assimilated into popular culture and with Satanists themselves who use it frequently.

Isnt this how most things have meanings ?

So it hasnt been twisted and misrepresnted as a word or sign can have multiple meanings.

NO twisting or misrepresnting is involved in this case.Twisting or misrepresenting implies deceit yet no deceit was involved here.You say "the meaning" as in the singular rather than the plural "the meanings" as the article lists 5 seperate meanings/interpretations so i am adding a 6th meaning to the list and its no less valid than any of the others.

I wont back down on this.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

ThryllSeekyr

I never meat that it was directly connected to deivl worship, even if that happens alot in the heavy metal genre. I just call it that because I never knew better.

M.I.K.

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 19 May, 2010, 12:22:05 AM
I never meat that it was directly connected to deivl worship, even if that happens alot in the heavy metal genre. I just call it that because I never knew better.

Don't worry about it, you have to call it something.

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 18 May, 2010, 10:49:57 PM
Ok then there is some debate going on as to wether Anton Levay was actually a Satanist or not due to his own definition of what Satan actually is

Yeah, that's another thing...

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 18 May, 2010, 10:49:57 PM
The Church Of Satan was not a church in the sense that they had fixed/designated places of worship but as an organisation it did have followers and a membership so that hardly makes it non-existent.

I said "previously non-existent"

Yes, words and symbols can have many different meanings, but they usually arise independantly of one another. In this case it seems obvious that Mr. LaVey adopted the symbol after studying the occult in general, (not synonymous with Satanism, incidentally), but when a protection against evil comes to be seen as promoting evil, that's too much of a shift in definition for me and I would call that misrepresentation, (a word which doesn't necessarily imply deceit, merely an incorrect representation).

I could go on about how Baphomet is a corruption of "Mohammed" and the goat-like representation of him/it is a 19th century invention of Eliphas Levi or how Satan and The Devil aren't technically the same thing as each other and even if they were there's nothing to suggest either of them resemble goats either, but I'd be here all night, my computer already crashed once when I had almost done typing all this guff out the first time, and this is supposed to be an RIP thread, so I won't.

Of course this is all besides the point, 'cos the bloke in the article didn't say "misrepresented" anyway. He said "misinterpreted".

Peter Wolf

I have read up on all this stuff myself and i apologise if this is an RIP thread but i am not going to say nothing in return to someone who says "Then you are wrong" and then tells me how to suck eggs.

Anyway the assertion by the Kerrang editor saying it is "misinterpreted" is highly questionable in itself plus his BS explanation.You would think an editor of Kerrang would have an indepth knowledge of Rock/Metal culture but it seems not.

"Previously non-existent"

Thats totally irrelevent anyway.All religions or beliefs were previously non-existent.The only difference being timescales etc.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 19 May, 2010, 01:53:23 AM

Of course this is all besides the point, 'cos the bloke in the article didn't say "misrepresented" anyway. He said "misinterpreted".

You could have pointed that mistake i made right after i said it rather than now but you didnt notice it either until now it seems but it hardly matters as both words share a similar meaning [amongst others] and it certainly hasnt been used out of context.

M.I.K.

Nope, I didn't notice and didn't mean to imply that I had. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Can't say I agree with some of your other points but I doubt we'll ever see eye to eye on those, so let's just leave it at that, because I didn't mean to start an argument and this probably isn't the place for one.

I will say I can't see anything wrong with any of what the editor said, or what suggests to you that he doesn't know his rock/metal culture. I certainly do and all his comments seemed pretty straightforward and true enough to me.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: M.I.K. on 19 May, 2010, 04:51:30 AM
Nope, I didn't notice and didn't mean to imply that I had. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Can't say I agree with some of your other points but I doubt we'll ever see eye to eye on those, so let's just leave it at that, because I didn't mean to start an argument and this probably isn't the place for one.

I will say I can't see anything wrong with any of what the editor said, or what suggests to you that he doesn't know his rock/metal culture. I certainly do and all his comments seemed pretty straightforward and true enough to me.

I didnt even notice i typed and/or misread the comment as "Misrepresented" instead of "misinterpreted" until you pointed it out.

::)

Never mind though as it was interesting anyway and as long as there is no animosity then thats all alright.

Albion

John Shepherd-Barron, the inventor of the hole-in-the-wall cash machine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8691747.stm
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Goaty

My sister-in-law. Been fight it for a year.

Roger Godpleton

Crumbs Goaty, I hope you and your family get through this.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

strontium71

Lord Charles .

Ooh , and Ray Alan...
...because I hate you.

HdE

Sorry to hear, Goaty. Thoughts are with you and yours.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Kerrin

I'm sorry to hear that Goaty, my condolences to you and the family.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Sorry to hear, Goaty.