Main Menu

Scream!

Started by JimBob, 06 December, 2002, 01:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBob

found this today for those nostaligic about 80s comics http://www.backfromthedepths.co.uk/home.htm well worth a look

karne

judge dreddd

and i quote

'you see! this is why i never had any luck with the ladies as a student ! A young fellow can only take so many rebuffs before he gives up and starts trafficking with the fiends of the hell instead! at least they're not so picky'

oooo

now now mr ian eddington keep your personal demons to yourself, next thing you know 2000ad will start filling up with women in leather... sin dex ... durham..

Anyone else noticed personal rants in 2000ad ?

Art

Ah... part fish, part man, part lobster, ALL monster...

That takes me back...

Link: http://www.backfromthedepths.co.uk/expandable%20piccies/frontcovers/pages/NFRONT%20PAGE%2014_jpg.htm" target="_blank">The Sea Beast

Wood

When I was nine, some of the short stories scared the shit out of me, so much that my mum threw the few coipies of scream I had away. :(

But I remember the man-eating apples, and I remember the one with the kid who touches a meteorie which changes him, so everything he touches gets clogged up with vegetation. He's so scared, he runs to his mum to hug her... and the last panel - which I remembered just as it was reproduced on the site - shows him sitting in the corner, next to his mum's upright plant-covered corpse. I didn't sleep after seeing that one the first time.

One thing I didn't remember was how good so much of the artwork was: Cam Kennedy, Ortiz, Brendan McCarthy etc. And Steve Dillon doing a werewolf story! Some of this stuff really needs a reprint, I think.

johnnystress

great site- it reminds me that Eric Bradbury , criticsed in another thread a while ago, was great when given the right subject matter

Art

My one criticism would be the appallingly slow download times of the images. These guys really want to look at optimising their jpgs.

JimBob

Oddly enough Scream never scared me whilst the original Eagle Doomlord photostory really scare 6 year old JimBob. I remember getting my Dad to bin the first 9 or 10 Eagles after I could take no more and him arguing I might change my mind later stemming form a traumatic experience he had when at about 12  his Mum threw out his childhood Marvels. I would not be disuaded however.
In hindsight it just goes to show, always listen to your Dad

Marbles

That's a cool site. Thanks for the link.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

mongor2003

my favourite scream story was the one where the kid go's to stay with his aunt in some southern england hicksville and notices everybody in the town has plaster casts on thier arms and legs,one night he notices the entire town gathering at a stone circle and a completely bandaged figure emerges,said figure removes his bandages to reveal the form of an ant-like alien,then the townspeople, including the kids aunt, remove thier plastercasts to reveal alien limbs underneath, appently the "seeds of sirius,have taken root" and the invasion of earth is due to begin, the kid is discovered, captured and knocked out, he comes round in a hospital with...you guesed it a plaster cast on his leg....the final panel is of the kid screaming as two alien nurses remove the cast to reveal....an ant-like leg underneath.  Ok,so its not exactly the twilight zone but it scared the living shite out of me as a 10 year old. I wish scream had continued, imagine if it was still published today, i think it would be  sort of like a sister horror title to 2000ad, same creators, same level of maturity to the stories, if scream had continued i can quite easilly imagine stories like necronauts and red seas finding thier way into its pages. wouldnt it be cool if rebellion could aquire the rights to scream and start printing scream volume 2.

paulvonscott

I've just recently got hold of the fifteen issues of scream.

They are really enjoyable and quite fun in a dodgy way.  I loved the first episode of Monster by Alan Moore.  It seems to have turned into Rick Clark's work after that, I don't know if it's a pseudonym, but it feels like it.  Still, I've enjoyed the scream issues and hope it continues to be as good in Eagle.

May try the Dracula Files by GFD or there's a strip by Tom Tully, next.

If anyone want to trade me the summer specials, or the Eagle issues I'm missing with MONSTER in!?, let me know :)  Apparently Monster ran for over a year in eagle, so too much to reprint, but that first Alan Moore one is worth a read.

Smiley

don't know if it's a pseudonym, but it feels like it

Yup, Rick Clark was Grant & Wagner.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I must confess that I've never heard of Scream. Is sounds too scary for someone of my delicate disposition. I shudder to think how warped I might have turned out if I'd had access to this sort of nightmare-inducing material.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

By way of example, when I was a kid I'd go into Boots and mess about on the electric typewriters they had on sale. But instead of typing "Master X was here", I'd put "If you read this, I will kill you and your family tonight" and similar messages. Then I'd go look at the ZX spectrum games and watch the old dears and shop staff read what was there, do a double take, and then wander off with feigned nonchalance. Arf! It still makes me smile, but no one else finds this amusing in the slightest. Anyone?
Lock up your spoons!

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.