Main Menu

Get Fact!

Started by karne, 10 January, 2003, 07:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karne

"Arnold was the Cyberdyne Systems 101, not the T-100, which is actually the T-1000."

Well of course you're right there Rac (apart from the T-100/T-1000 thing), or at least according to the finished version of the film. Let me explain...

The actual model of Terminator that Arnie plays is the T-800 model 101. Arnold was originally cast to play one of the tank like Terminators that you see in the wasteland of the future the T-100, which is also sometimes referred to as the T-1. It was because of this that he based his performance on a Ford Capri.

After James Cameron saw Arnie's "performance" he likened it to being trapped with his worst fears in room 101. Unfortunately for Cameron a make-up artist grassed him up and to avoid a serious kicking by the Austrian half-wit, he was forced to give him the starring role.

He called him the Model 101 as an in-joke. Arnold being such a one dimensional actor did of course use his Ford Capri interpretation in his new role.

Don't forget to impress the movie buffs down your local pub with this relatively unknown fact.

Richmond Clements

Oh, I see... well now I just feel stupid...

Devons Daddy

in  a bold effort to educate you the unwashed i will now post a few REAL facts.

so next time you are at the local wine bar discussing the vertical tasting dinner you enjoyed the other day , you can throw in these gems of historical importance.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of
places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take
the bones to a"bone-house" and reuse the grave. When reopening
these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks
on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive.
So they thought they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse,
lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a
bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night
(the "graveyard shift") to listen for the bell;  thus, someone could be
"saved by the bell" or was considered a dead ringer."

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Devons Daddy

FACT
now please stop scribbling and allow my to educate you.

The wealthy had slate floors that would g et slippery in the winter
when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on the floor to help keep
their footing. As the winter wore on, they kept adding more thresh
until when you opened the door it would all start slipping outside.  A
piece of wood was placed in the entranceway. Hence the saying a
"thresh hold

I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

karne

Enough of these comedy facts DD, here's a real one...

Karl Marx was at one time known as the "fifth" Marx brother and was greatly responsible for the creation of his brother Groucho's comedy persona with quotes such as "Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity".

He was asked to leave the group when it became clear that his "Comedy Manifesto" differed greatly from that of Groucho, Harpo, Chico and Zeppo, but his parting comment "Last words are for fools who haven't said enough" was the inspiration behind Harpo's silent act.

The Enigmatic Dr X

FACT:

At last years's works do, a quiz was organised. A number of staff had to compere and prepare a round of questions.

A colleague and I designed the oh-so-popular "Who's Marx is it anyway?" round.

Quotations from Richard Marx, Karl Marx and Groucho Marx were read out and the teams had to guess who said what.

We thought it funny.
Lock up your spoons!

test 4 echo

"FACT: In South Africa, termites are often roasted and eaten by the handful, like pretzels or popcorn."

fact: roasted termites are tasty, in a butter flavored kinda way.

karne

Although often seen as figures of fun and amusement, clowns are quite rightly a source of fear and terror for most people. The reason for this goes back to the early part of the 12th century when it was thought that clowns would visit the dying and steal their souls.

The simple peasant folk of the day believed that clowns were empty husks that could only exist by stealing happy joyous souls and in order to ensure their victims were mirthful at the time of death would perform merry japes involving buckets of water and big pants.

There is often much truth in the bizarre and far-fetched tales of bygone days, remember this next time you visit the circus.

Richmond Clements

Cornflakes were originally invented as a cure for masturbation.

Devons Daddy

FACT.
DD is going on a weeks leave
though should i the hotel have internet access i may drop by and at least post on this the boards greatest thread.
so see you all in a week.

I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

karne

Well done for that seemingly unlikely Cornflake fact Rac, here's another one to go with it...

Cornflakes make an ideal substitute for concrete foundations. Try experimenting with some at home by simply forgetting to wash a bowl containing some leftover cornflakes and milk with a spoon in. You'll be amazed at how strong it is.

karne

"DD is going on a weeks leave."

See you when you get back DD. I'll e-mail you and let you know when those cards (hopefully) turn up.

Here's a special DD fact to see you off with.

Devon's Daddy had a special outfit personally made for him by Tharg to help him in his duty as official welcomer of new members to the 2K site. Unfortunately the Mighty One forgot to take the pins out and DD was subjected to a free treatment of acupuncture.

Luckily for Tharg, DD was rather pleased, as it would have cost him a hundred pounds to have a professional do it and he gave the Green one a crisp tenner to run down to the sweet shop with.

How likely is that eh?

karne

Richmond Clements

'Well done for that seemingly unlikely Cornflake fact Rac'

Unlikely, but, as I think you may know, it is in fact true.

karne

Bold off damn you! Sigh!