Main Menu

How Did The Thrill-Addiction Get Ya

Started by critter, 20 January, 2003, 12:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

critter

So how did Thrill power grab ya and keep you in the folds of 2000AD, even if you did leave for a short time.
For me it started back in 1986. I was picking up issues of Judge Dredd reprints from Eagle and Quality comics. I had no idea that 2000AD even existed at that time. When I first got the internet I began looking of pics of Judge Dredd and found the oringinal 2000AD mailing list, that was about 1997 or 1998. I would talk with Simon Fraser over ICQ periodically and he built up my intrest. Then I got a catalog of sorts trhat had progs 61-70 for sale, I bought 61-63. Thats where Tharg grabbed hold. Finally about two years later a comic shop opend not to far from where I live, and my forst regular prog was 1164. Also, I've bought quite a few from ebay.

Critter

Leigh S

My nan used to buy me and my brother a comic each - he had Victor, I got Doctor Who weekly.  The Doctor Who magazine had just gone monthly.  Before that, I'd been enthralled by the Wagner/Mills/Gibbons stories that were ten times better than the actual programme.  However, the wait between issues was just too much - I'd seen copies of 2000AD that my cousin had with Judge Child stuff in them, and decided to swap my order - 195 was my first regular prog (who sez you need jumping on points?) - no turning back since.

Slippery PD

two seperate friends were buying it and I was reading theirs, this was about '81.  Always had a fascination with SciFi, eventually started buying it myself by reserving a copy in my local newsagent.  My first probg i think was about episode 14 of the apocolypse war!!!  So no jump onpoint for me either.

Queen Firey-Bou

I was in the coffee bar at art college chainsmoking silkcut around 1983/4 , I was 18 ish. this goth spikey chapp called Roger (back when goths were more black n white n altogether spikey ) was raving on about this comic that he always bought 2 copies of , one to read one to bag. he raved & he raved, i wonder what happened to him & his collection ?

dunno what happened but that was it, i pissed off my tutors by writing a degree disertation about nemesis. I pissed off anybody who helped me move house since then ( now 20 wooden boxes full)....i had trouble explaining it to myself often, had trouble justifying the sub fee, but hell, it got me.

jdmobius

I graduated from Action to 2000AD. In the beginning I had Buster and Monster Fun, my brother had Action and my dad had Warlord. But Monster Fun had little interest for me once I picked up my brother's copies of Action and a lifelong affair with comics was born. When 2000AD came along my dad saw it as a less troubling version of 2000AD and bought it for my brother and I, even although Action had already been toned down by now. And I've never been away in 26 years, it's been a constant throughout my life.

Mangamax

Was there at ground zero. Had been soaking up comics for ten years at that point - DC and Marvel imports, then Mighty World Of Marvel along with Lion, Valiant, Pow, Smash and of course the war ones. Collected the tooth until got fed up with it in the early 90's. Came back whenever Slaine was in it to see if it'd improved (yeah right) but came back proper around the time of the film.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

petemaskreplica

OK, this is a quite convoluted story...

when I was a nipper, I got hooked on the terror of St Custard's, nigel molesworth. On the back of this obsession, I bought a book called " The Whizzkid's Handbook", purely on the basis that the kid on the cover looked like molesworth. within this book were all kinds of jolly japes like how to fire a rubber band across the classroom properly, how to fake illness to get a day off skool, etc. but there was also a profile of one Tharg the Mighty, and his mighty organ 2000ad. The combination of this and the influence of my mate Tim who'd just started at my skool persuaded me to buy 2K along with me Buster & Beano one week. It was prog 282, the first episode of "Destiny's Angels". And I was hooked from then on.
Incientaly, it was the aforementioned Tharg profile that first made me aware of the name of Captain Beefheart (it was Tharg's favourite music, apparently) so it's thanks to that that Mecha-Bou had to put up with all that Freakery in the chatroom the other night. Sorry, Bou. But you're getting a free Pixies CD out of it, so it was worth it, eh?

esoteric ed

Well for me the 70's were my comic years, I used to have Battle, Action and dozens of other UK/US comics bought for me by my good folks (I've just nabbed myself "The Avengers" UK Issue 1 on ebay from those dark distant days!) and 2000ad was simply the latest in a long line of publications, but within that first issue I found something very special... then along came  Issue 2 and the rest was history.

I can't be sure of my exact "thrill power lapse" period, it was sometime after the Apocalypse War. I then read the mighty organ (and still do today) mainly for DREDD, so I missed all those Halo Jones tales etc, all the stories now regarded as "classic".

Much as I love the organ, without Dredd I often wonder if I'd stick around, but there's usually something there beyond Dredd to keep me onboard, (I've enjoyed Dante's tales and Sin/Dex's early material).

So to answer the question, I got the Thrill Addiction back in March/April 1977, and it's influence has kept me and my imagination young and fresh, after 25 years plus that's some feat.

Edhttp://www.2000adonline.com/images/freegifts/1.jpg">

Queen Firey-Bou

"so it's thanks to that that Mecha-Bou had to put up with all that Freakery in the chatroom the other night. Sorry, Bou. "

Mr maskreplica, that was a reasuringly normal night in the chat room i can assure you ! well i have to admit the singing was getting a but tuneless... but there you go.

Buddy

I've alwasys been a sci-fi nerdy type and through a school friend I got introduced to 2000AD (early eighties) another friend's brother had a (then) massive collection and I read just about every one he had.

As luck would have it another school friend was selling his collection to buy a ticket for a AC/DC concert, so I got a near complete collection (no issue one but two issue 2's) for ?5!!!!!. About 300 comics, in very good nick, with gifts etc...
Collected ever since but stopped about two years ago because it was just crap.

I sent a letter to Tharg saying how dissapoined I was with the comic recently and Andy Diggle convinced me to pick it up again as Rebellion were going to shake things up. He sent me an issue to prove his point and I started reading it again.

I'm still missing about 50 issues or so from the time I stopped.

Art

I read Eagle for a while... I read Spiderman & Zoids for a while... but nothing grabbed me and lept me coming back till I discovered 2000ad. It was either "MALCOM-EX?" or "WAR ZOMBIES - BURY EM?", its a little confussing because I went backto the newsagents the next day and bought their entire back-issues collection (yeah, a newsagenet with back-issues. Weird!) which took mw back to about prog 500 with some holes.

petemaskreplica

My dad gave me an american reprint of stonty dog, i then got a few bak issues...

The Monarch

nick_coyle

I started reading 'tranformers' and 'mask' in the late eighties (Ron Smith drew a good Miles Mayhem). From there I went onto Overkill and Spidy, but one day I picked up prog 866 and was highly impressed with the artwork of Dermot Power (Judge Dredd:Book of the Dead) and Nigel Dobbyn (Strontium Dogs: the darkest Star). I have read ever since apart from the years 1996-99 when being in my late teens I thought comics were uncool. I was wrong.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I got an issue with a free Buck Rogers sticker album. It had a pciture of death in it. Then, about 6 months later, the Judge Death Lives story started and I recognised him on the cover. Have bought it ever since.
Lock up your spoons!