Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Back to the Office  (Read 1756 times)

sintec

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the Office
« Reply #30 on: 24 July, 2021, 09:50:31 AM »
Alas I work at Manchester Victoria, one of the major public transport hubs for the NW, and can only attest at how especially in the last few months the traffic has actually got WORSE than it was pre-COVID. And now less people are wearing masks, get ratty when you ask them to show respect and distance to other patrons, and in general have returned to treating customer facing roles just as (if not worse) poorly as they had before. And I could get sick off any of them at any time. It's a woeful, terrifying situation to be in.

That sucks Hawk. I've never understood why some people are such dicks to staff. I've got a friend who works at an opticians who reports similarly toxic behaviour from entitled customers. Have never understood why people think it's ok to behave like that.

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
« Reply #31 on: 24 July, 2021, 10:30:50 AM »
Tiplodocus: your company sounds like a case study for how to reframe office work. If it pulls this off, it will be well positioned for the future and surely have relatively strong staff retention. Good to hear some folks are getting this right.

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #32 on: 24 July, 2021, 12:09:04 PM »
Tiplodocus: your company sounds like a case study for how to reframe office work. If it pulls this off, it will be well positioned for the future and surely have relatively strong staff retention. Good to hear some folks are getting this right.

If enough companies break rank from the "back to the office, plebs" push then there may be no putting this genie back in its bottle — people, like my wife who's worked for the same company for the last decade, will leave companies that insist on a return to The Old Ways™ and look for jobs with companies that aren't dicks about this stuff. Faced with the prospect of haemorrhaging skilled, trained staff or just letting the poor bastards carry on working from their dining room table, I think a number of those companies might relent.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 July, 2021, 04:44:02 PM »

I'm as surprised as anybody. It does help that the nature of where I work (business change) is suited for this kind of thing. And I do have a fairly understanding hierarchy of managers. I imagine some of our Branch and Contact centre teams might not have the same view as me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Barrington Boots

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 July, 2021, 09:45:20 AM »
Back at home today after a couple of days in. On one level being in the office was quite nice in that it was a change of scenery, talking to people face to face that I haven't spoken to in a while etc. On the other hand, commute. Plus the sheer needlessness of it.
The feeling in my place is mild anger / frustration that management have imposed this partial return but it doesn't seem to apply to them. I have a feeling people will just accept it and move on, but hopefully there'll be some pusg back against it. There will be from me, certainly.

Tiplodocus, your place does sound like a a model example of how this should be run.

Hawk, that does suck. I took the train Friday for the first time in forever and the bulk of passengers were masked up although there was an unsurprising correlation between people who were aggressive / drunk / blast music out of their phones and not wearing a mask. Numbers on the trains were very low, but I'm not sure if school holidays and the heat were a factor. I really, really don't want to be getting a train during thos pandemic.

If enough companies break rank from the "back to the office, plebs"..

This is 100% the hope!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Barrington Boots

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 August, 2021, 03:00:45 PM »
Yesterday I was in the office all on my own. Not really sure what the point of that was.

There's a mild fear here that if we press the issue on this then the mandate will change back to 'everyone in all the time' but it's a fairly ridiculous situation at the moment.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • watkykjy?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 26 August, 2021, 03:47:13 PM »
I am so glad that our policy is the reverse, you need a very good reason why you are at the office. We even need to get approval to go to office and you must be very specific on the time off arrival etc.
Old age is the Lord’s way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death’s in case we didn’t take the hint.

The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.