Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Black Dog Thread  (Read 77181 times)

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Dog Thread
« Reply #615 on: 14 August, 2021, 08:06:09 PM »
Well, I've just given yet another CBT therapist the heave-ho.  He was polite and respectful, yes, but something didn't quite click.  I realise empathy is hugely important and is a very difficult thing to master, but I finally realised that empathy for him was basically me expressing something that was bothering me, then him paraphrasing what I had said, and adding 'That must be very (insert relevant emotion) / I imagine that is (insert relevant emotion)'.  Essentially the communication version of '20. GOTO 10.'

I realised that yesterday's session was my last one when I expressed unhappiness that we were about 7 sessions in and I still didn't feel we had done any real work on the negative thoughts I had written down weeks ago. The response was, pretty much, 'Yes, I can see that you want to move on and get some more work done on your thoughts, and it's taken a long time.  That must be very annoying and frustrating.'   Just.. no. Enough is enough.

I'm part of an online group of non-professionals who treat each other with exactly the same methods as that therapist.  They're way better at it, and it's free.  So I'll stick with them in future, I think.

“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

The Legendary Shark

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: 15 August, 2021, 04:34:36 PM »

I hope you find what you're looking for, JBC.

~~~^~~~~~~~

Dive a little deeper - all is not as it seems. "Cyber pandemic" on the way. Devices to be "quarantined" (disconnected).

Jade Falcon

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: 15 August, 2021, 09:22:29 PM »
I think the experience I had with my counsellor is pretty much the same as JBC's, I just couldn't describe it very well.  I really wonder what is going on in the mental health side.  I mean what's the sense in seeing my GP if the mental health nurse is hopeless, I don't want pills which don't solve the problems and might react badly with the battery of medications that I'm on, and the counsellors for the area seem hopeless.

This might sound rather nasty and spiteful, but I get the impression that if you were a drug user that had a long criminal record and were pretty unrepentant you'd get a more sympathetic ear.  The latest thing I'm having problems with on top of the depression, or perhaps because of it is a really bad sleep pattern, yet I can predict the GP will suggest sleeping pills.

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: 26 August, 2021, 08:51:13 PM »
I think the experience I had with my counsellor is pretty much the same as JBC's, I just couldn't describe it very well.

I probably should point out that the counsellor I was talking about sent me a very respectful email when I told him I wasn't continuing with it.  A nice fella but he just wasn't the therapist for me - it might sound ridiculous but I like a bit of a laugh despite my dark periods and I found him to be very serious and stern.  I'm not the easiest therapist's client in the world either - I've had one guy literally grunt in frustration as I told him that what he was saying didn't make sense to me.
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

Tjm86

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: 27 August, 2021, 07:03:47 AM »
In all honesty these are fair points.  Sometimes it is hard to define what it is about a counsellor that makes it work or not.  Some ineffable quality that in some respects is totally unique.

Some of this is down to the therapist's particular approach / theoretical frame.  Quite often if a therapist is trained in CBT for instance then they can be quite procedural.  They see therapy as about 'reprogramming' almost and sometimes struggle to understand 'resistance' / difficulties.

The best therapists I've worked with tend to be more integrationist in their approaches.  They recognise the power and benefit of cognitive approaches but also the need to tackle issues from other perspectives.  So there may be a touch of psychoanalysis for instance when difficulties emerge.

Medication is also a massive mine-field.  Leaving aside the lead-in times as some like SSRI's take to start having an 'effect', some of the immediate effects are great fun!  In the short term they can actually spike anxiety, never mind the disruption to sleep. 

When you look into the development of most medications used in the treatment of mental health, a lot of them were originally developed for completely different purposes.  The discovery that they could aid treatment of mental health conditions was a 'happy accident' in some cases.

Personally I've been fortunate with my GP in that they often get a lot of these issues.  We've had to explore a number of options to get to a point where we've found ones that 'work' however imperfectly that might be.  They are also incredibly leery of sleeping pills because of the risks involved.  Then again, so am I.

I've found that the only real option when it comes to insomnia is to accept that I will sleep when I sleep.  If it's not happening then I don't fight it, just accept it and simply rest.  9 times out of 10 this results in my dropping off anyway now.  Once upon a time I would just get up and get on with stuff.  Got a lot of work done but when I crashed, boy did I crash!

Jade / JaybusB, I know it isn't much but just keep in mind that there are plenty of folks in these parts that can offer support of a limited kind.  Possibly because of the direct, personal experience many have had.  There will always be a supportive response when you (or anyone else for that matter) needs it.

auxlen

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: 30 August, 2021, 06:01:10 PM »
Every morning the black dog sits on my chest and I can't breathe. After a few hours, he shifts himself but I lose valuable time and risk the ire of my employer.

The Legendary Shark

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: 30 August, 2021, 07:18:29 PM »

Here's a blast from the past about my black dog nightmare,

I think I may have had two "sleep paralysis" experiences after reading this thread. Both of them centred around a monstrous black 'dog' thing with long shaggy fur, wet snarling teeth and burning red eyes.

It was the earlier mention of 'boundless kinetic energy' that struck a chord with me because that's a perfect description of how this thing moved - it seemed to be doing a "wall-of-death" around the room, halfway up the walls, at a phenomenal speed whilst also seeming to be everywhere at once. Curiously, its hideous, screaming face was *always* snarling directly at me and it was howling like a hurricane through a cathedral. The sheer unbridled motion of the thing seemed to be the force keeping me down and unable to breathe. The first time it happened was absolutely terrifying - I thought I'd died in my sleep and was being dragged to Hell!

The second time it happened was no less terrifying but in this instance I got mad and started howling back at the thing until it simply dissipated. I have the uncomfortable feeling that I might have been actually howling like an enraged gorilla when I woke up.

This was some time ago now and it hasn't been back.

I treated the black dog like a normal dog and overwhelmed it - like that bit in the Hulk film when Banner defeats his dad by saying something like, "You want my anger? Well take it! Take it all! Graaaah!" Maybe you could try that, or something similar.

~~~^~~~~~~~

Dive a little deeper - all is not as it seems. "Cyber pandemic" on the way. Devices to be "quarantined" (disconnected).