Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

You know what grinds my gears?  People who come to the checkout and use their mobile phones whilst I'm trying to serve them.  There's a reason we read out what you're buying and how much it costs you pillocks, sometimes a legally required reason (age restrictions, exemptions et al).

Last year I was on the till early doors, a woman come up yakking away on her phone, hands me her selection form and then turns her back on me as I read out her order for some bedding.  I give her the total she turns round, still talking away, and gives me the money.  I ask her if she wants to apply for a store card (which I have to do) and she replies that "No thanks, I'm in a hurry".

She then walks straight over to collection, plonks her ticket on the counter and waits as if expecting her order to be there already.  Her items come down a minute or two later and immediately she starts complaining that its the wrong colour, she wanted green not blue I must have put the wrong codes through.  The boss looks at the receipt, walks round to the tills, I give her the ladies selection form, lo and behold the customer had written the wrong numbers down.

The boss takes the lady to customer services and refunds the items and puts the right numbers through.  By this time I've served a couple of other customers so the lady (who still hasn't stopped talking on her phone) has to wait five minutes more whilst those orders come down.

As she's leaving the store another manager is just coming in and hears her telling the person on the other end of the phone that she's "running late now because the idiots in Argos got her order wrong"

TL:DR - Customers who talk on the phone are ignorant.

mogzilla

checkout staff! more so the ones who are chatting as you are queued up about there facebook/night out

there was one ignorant woman at the chemist who was on the phone when I joined the till fair enough if it had been about work which it wasn't then she put the phone down looked at me ,I was smiling politely thinking I was gonna get served instead she started filling up tissues on the shelves
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Link Prime

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 17 April, 2014, 01:48:43 PM
Quote from: Trout on 17 April, 2014, 01:32:13 PM
This thread.

Link Prime you've got a lot to answer for. It's like you've opened Pandora's Box - a Pandora's Box full of inane gripes that are individually irritating in context but when combined in written form look hideously depressing.

So- like every thread on the forum then?  :D

Stop complaining everyone- other humans are actually very nice!
That new "uplifting" Coca Cola advert told me so.

Moggot Lover

txt spk.
When some one sends me a text using text speak or even worse an email, I just reply in English please!
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

von Boom

Quote from: Tombo on 17 April, 2014, 02:54:13 PM
TL:DR - Customers who talk on the phone are ignorant.

I see this all the time. People seem to have forgotten that it's common courtesy to give your full attention to someone while they're helping you.

I know it's probably just me, but I still take my sunglasses off (if I'm wearing them) so I can look the person directly in the eyes.

Link Prime

Quote from: Moggot Lover on 17 April, 2014, 04:43:14 PM
txt spk.
When some one sends me a text using text speak or even worse an email, I just reply in English please!

Dnt b a h8r boi.

(Kill me now)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 April, 2014, 01:40:28 PM
Best tactic is to lean in and take an active interest in the conversation with eye contact and lots of oohs, aahs and comments at the appropriate points - when they get pissed off and tell you that it's a private conversation, you reply that if it was a private conversation, they'd be having it in private and what we've actually got here is a public conversation.

When I grow up I'll have the balls to do that.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

radiator

Ooh - here's one! When you go to print out you flight boarding pass or event tickets to find that it opens as an  A4-sized PDF covered in full-colour ads and big fat blocks of solid black, forcing you to use an obscene amount of ink. What a load of horseshit!

I just open the PDFs in Photoshop, then crop the relevant bits. Take that, The Man!

Mardroid

Students at the college where I work who request something (usually a letter* or printout of past questions) then wait there expecting you to do it there and then. Then when you take your time.... or continue with the work you're actually doing when they make the request they'll sigh impatiently or (and this one really irritates me) exclaim "I'm waiiiitiing".

"What're you waiting for? I have three days to do this." Or "I've got until the end of the day. Lessons finish at five. Come back then."

"I'm not staying until then. I'm going at 2." (So the're even violating the rules concerning attendance** and are happy to tell me. Cheeky blighters.)

The really annoying thing is that often I'm likely to do it quickly for them too, just to get them out of my face to make my life easier. They were arrogant and annoying and they got rewarded for it.

Grrrrrr!

*We added a disclaimer on the Letter Request Form staying we should be allowed three days to complete their request to take into account other work we're currently undertaking. And to prevent annoying situations like the above. And do they read it? Sometimes... They'll still try to persuade (or demand) you to do it quickly...

** The majority of students at our college are foreign nationals who's visa is predicated on attending college for a specific amount of hours a week.

Banners

People obstructively queueing at petrol stations, because they haven't yet realised that the hoses on petrol pumps are cleverly designed to be long enough to reach both sides of your car.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mardroid on 20 April, 2014, 05:46:49 PM...or (and this one really irritates me) exclaim "I'm waiiiitiing".

Dear god.  No court in the land would convict you Mardroid, I say go for it...

Proudhuff

Quote from: Banners on 21 April, 2014, 10:29:57 PM
People obstructively queueing at petrol stations, because they haven't yet realised that the hoses on petrol pumps are cleverly designed to be long enough to reach both sides of your car.

You think that, cause your local one does, then you cheerly drive pass the fools at some new place and fine out the ones there don't!  :-[
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Just thought of another one which I observed while on a train with my parents the other day.
People on public transport who put large bags or cases beside them, when the train is busy.   I had a seat and so did my folks, but a lot of people were desperately trying to find one while some ignorant sack of shit made no effort to move his bag (taking advantage of most people's tendency to move on further down the train rather than make trouble).
My Dad, fair play to him, pointed a few stressed-looking seat-seekers towards the case-occupied seat, but nobody asked him to move it so the horrible little piece of dirt got to keep that all-important second seat to himself for the whole four-hour journey.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Quote from: Banners on 21 April, 2014, 10:29:57 PM
People obstructively queueing at petrol stations, because they haven't yet realised that the hoses on petrol pumps are cleverly designed to be long enough to reach both sides of your car

(draws knife across palm and presses hand into yours) You and I are brothers now, Banners.