Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

PewDiePie.

Genuinely baffled that anyone thinks that watching an idiot prattle on in irritating affected voices while playing videogames constitutes any kind of worthwhile entertainment, let alone millions of them.

Kids today etc.

Link Prime

Richmond Clements

Quote from: radiator on 10 December, 2014, 02:43:10 AM
PewDiePie.

Genuinely baffled that anyone thinks that watching an idiot prattle on in irritating affected voices while playing videogames constitutes any kind of worthwhile entertainment, let alone millions of them.

Kids today etc.

I don't get it either, but my son loves him and laughs his head off watching it. As for watching him playing computer games - I see that as no different than watching people play football, ride horses, play poker or answer questions.

radiator

Yeah, but generally we watch people doing those things because they're being done with a lot of skill or intelligence. We watch comedy because theres an element of craftsmanship, even stuff that appears to be spontaeneous and off the cuff. This is just some moron shouting whatever pops into his head.

Hate to dismiss things that are popular with younger generations whether it be music or TV shows or whatever, because i genuinely believe things of quality will shine through even if it not to your own personal taste. But i just cant see any merit to what the guy does.

Spaceghost

Quote from: radiator on 10 December, 2014, 03:04:35 PM
Yeah, but generally we watch people doing those things because they're being done with a lot of skill or intelligence. We watch comedy because theres an element of craftsmanship, even stuff that appears to be spontaeneous and off the cuff. This is just some moron shouting whatever pops into his head.

Hate to dismiss things that are popular with younger generations whether it be music or TV shows or whatever, because i genuinely believe things of quality will shine through even if it not to your own personal taste. But i just cant see any merit to what the guy does.

Totally agree. My 10 year old son loves watching some other witless, easily-impressed idiot called Cobanermani or something, as he repeatedly shouts "OH SHNAP!" at every mundane occurance whilst playing various video games.

I'm trying to discourage him by using sustained, withering sarcasm every time I see him watching it.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Spaceghost on 10 December, 2014, 03:11:47 PM

Totally agree. My 10 year old son loves watching some other witless, easily-impressed idiot called Cobanermani or something, as he repeatedly shouts "OH SHNAP!" at every mundane occurance whilst playing various video games.

I'm trying to discourage him by using sustained, withering sarcasm every time I see him watching it.

That doesn't work. You just end up teaching them withering sarcasm.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 December, 2014, 03:26:12 PM

That's a vital life-skill in itself.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Spaceghost on 10 December, 2014, 03:29:09 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 December, 2014, 03:26:12 PM

That's a vital life-skill in itself.

Careful what you wish for! My youngest in particular is very deft with the put down... I have taught him too well.

radiator

Another thing that struck me recently with this whole Zoella fiasco (Google it) is celebrity 'authors'.

I totally get that not everyone can write a book, and that people will often need help with writing a memoir, or even have it largely written for them. But i draw the effing line at celebrities pushing novels they have 'written'. Its so cynical and nasty and it grinds my gears no end, and i can only imagine how dispiriting it can be for actual aspiring authors.

Not generally in favour of banning books, but...

von Boom

radiator

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 December, 2014, 09:29:42 AM
Quote from: radiator on 10 December, 2014, 02:43:10 AM
PewDiePie.

No idea what you're talking about.

Thank Grud!

He's a bloke in his early twenties who records himself playing videogames while he does a running commentary. His level of humour is putting on silly accents, whooping and screaming and using the word 'rape' as if it's a punchline (though I gather that he does this less nowadays).

Here is an example of his 'work'. This is what a lot of kids today prefer to watch instead of traditional TV, or even playing games themselves. If you can make it through more than a couple of minutes of it you're a better man than me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HwlhGOxsE0

Oh, and btw he is the most popular uploader of Youtube videos in the world, and he makes millions of pounds a year for doing this.

I, Cosh

Quote from: von Boom on 10 December, 2014, 04:55:26 PM
Not a TekWars fan then, eh Rad.
Give me Guy Ritchie's The Gamekeeper any day...
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 10 December, 2014, 05:13:58 PM
Oh, and btw he is the most popular uploader of Youtube videos in the world, and he makes millions of pounds a year for doing this.

What. The. Actual. FUCK?!

Gnngh.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

You better believe it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/06/18/youtuber-pewdiepie-is-making-4-million-a-year/

As for me, I don't even understand the appeal of watching someone else play videogames in the first place, aside from maybe checking out a gameplay video for thirty-odd seconds to see whether a game looks like my cup of tea. I barely even have time to play games myself, let alone watch someone else doing so.

Streaming, Twitch, 'the 'Share' button on modern consoles... I mean seriously - who gives a shit? Everyone else in the world apparently. Watching other people play videogames is big business now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNG73Q_NJL4

Dandontdare

my friend's son (7) spends hours and hours watching people play Minecraft on youtube, and those guys also make a shedload of cash from it.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/24/minecraft-youtube-videos-mojang-views