Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

People who bang on and on about their Viking / Celtic / Saxon or whatever the fuck ancestors, as if you can define who you are by just vaguely tracing back your family tree and stopping when you get to something that sounds cool.

To these people I say: I don't care about these long-dead tribes- who are YOU?  The answer, generally speaking, is a nasty little racist.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

von Boom

I was in a pub in Edinburgh and was greatly amused when two of the bartenders started arguing about who was more English. One claimed ancestry to before Hastings while the other was a couple centuries after. I wish I could have filmed it.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: radiator on 17 November, 2015, 11:15:57 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 17 November, 2015, 10:45:35 AM
When Americans use Legos as the plural of Lego.
They pronounce it weirdly too - 'Lay-gos'.

A similar one that drives me up the wall is their pronouncing the name Craig as 'Creg.' I can't say it would especially bother me if so many US tv shows didn't suddenly have a dialogue reference to Craigslist!
@jamesfeistdraws

Theblazeuk

Yeah my Grandad's family was from Ireland, ew :)

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 February, 2016, 01:16:42 PM
People who bang on and on about their Viking / Celtic / Saxon or whatever the fuck ancestors, as if you can define who you are by just vaguely tracing back your family tree and stopping when you get to something that sounds cool.

To these people I say: I don't care about these long-dead tribes- who are YOU?  The answer, generally speaking, is a nasty little racist.

Just do what I do, when they brag about their 'scotch' roots, tell em: if you go back far enough we're all African.
DDT did a job on me

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

SuperSurfer

So my native American roots are of no interest round here?

Spikes

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 22 February, 2016, 04:14:26 PM
Pangean surely? ;)

Pangean's? Those Johnny-come-lately's? Pfft..
My ancestors came over on the Martian meteorite that kick started it all. Proper O.G.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 February, 2016, 02:56:05 PM

A similar one that drives me up the wall is their pronouncing the name Craig as 'Creg.' I can't say it would especially bother me if so many US tv shows didn't suddenly have a dialogue reference to Craigslist!

and Colon instead of Colin eeeek!
DDT did a job on me

radiator

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 February, 2016, 02:56:05 PM

I've actually asked some friends here about this very thing and all I get is blank stares - they don't see how its different to how I say it!

They also are seemingly oblivious to how they pronounce Graham as 'Grem' or 'Gram'.

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 February, 2016, 04:53:11 PM
...and Colon instead of Colin eeeek!

That's more pronouncement than pronunciation.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 February, 2016, 04:07:04 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 February, 2016, 01:16:42 PM

Just do what I do, when they brag about their 'scotch' roots, tell em: if you go back far enough we're all African.

I don't see what the problem is if people are proud of their roots.

Go back and we're all amoeba.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Spikes on 22 February, 2016, 04:48:16 PM
Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 22 February, 2016, 04:14:26 PM
Pangean surely? ;)

Pangean's? Those Johnny-come-lately's? Pfft..
My ancestors came over on the Martian meteorite that kick started it all. Proper O.G.

They come over here...
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

M.I.K.

I've a sneaking suspicion that my ancestry might, in part, go back to the Sami people, indigenous Scandinavian folk that have likely been there much longer than anyone else, yet don't look particularly 'white'. Far-right groups don't seem to like them very much.

Something Fishy

I loved that silent walk they did on BBC 4 at Christmas with the Sami, still following traditional reindeer herding.

As for the issue of ancestry, it does seem weird to me.  I'm a right mixture of all sorts of people's and various waves of immigration.  We're an island of immigrants, the idea of being against it seems just bizarre to me.