Main Menu

Netflix?

Started by Proudhuff, 04 May, 2022, 11:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

I'm seriously considering cancelling this, not watched anything for ages and only waiting on Bosch arriving, both sons saying the same. the price hike is the last straw, anyone else jumping ship?
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

We're pretty new to it in the YNWA household - got for the kids...ahem... for X-mas, so not jumping ship yet but I'm surprised how much I'm watching more on Disney+ than this and having Netflix seems to have made me more aware of stuff to watch on Prime. So at the moment I'm watching netflix least of the three.

Mrs YNWA and Girl Child YNWA do seem to use it a lot though so all good to this point.

Trooper McFad

Not there yet but there's definitely more "new" content which I'd watch on Disney than Netflix at the moment and it's Prime that is no. 3 on my watch list. But I'm fortunate that I don't pay for Netflix as it's my Daughter but I pay for Disney so we share the logins.
If I was paying for everything then I'd have to consider what's best.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Proudhuff

I've been fairly tempted by D+ content, load of stuff I'd watch, didn't know you could share codes, must ask the bairns if they have it.
DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

It was a real struggle to get broadband where I live (* The Lonely Mountain), so it's still a bit of a novelty for us for the past two years or so.

I have a Netflix and Amazon Prime account (incl. Alexa / Amazon Music), and the whole shebang comes to €22 per month, which is pretty decent as we got rid of the ever extortionate Sky in favour of Saorview TV (Ireland) & Freeview TV (UK) as well.

Can't see myself dropping either - loads of content I enjoy, easy to ignore content I don't.
Amazon free delivery (sometimes next day to ROI) makes it a no-brainer too.

Richmond Clements

Binned Netflix ages ago. And Bosch is on Prime. :-)

Proudhuff

I can understand that Prime, I was quite happy for a number of years with it, but few things seemed to go past a couple of series especially the stuff I like! And any new stuff isn't aimed at my demographic.

I've got to the stage where I trawl list after list on Netflix and see lots I like but have watched. I now find Prime at least has some new and slightly off beat stuff, and weirdly BBC iplayer has some gems tucked away on its more dusty shelves along with the occasional series they splash out on.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 04 May, 2022, 12:35:23 PM
Doh! is it the Lincoln lawyer that's coming to Netflix? if not its dumped this weekend!
DDT did a job on me

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Proudhuff on 04 May, 2022, 12:41:51 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 04 May, 2022, 12:35:23 PM
Doh! is it the Lincoln lawyer that's coming to Netflix? if not its dumped this weekend!

Ohh! Did not realise that. Shame they're made by different production companies, so a crossover is highly unlikely.

IndigoPrime

Likely to shortly, yes. After that point, I suspect we'll move more to using JustWatch to find where something is we want to watch, sign up for a month and then continue until we've gone through a show. But then we only watch an hour of telly a day at most. So having all these subscriptions increasingly feels like a waste of money.

Tomwe

My kids always default to Netflix unless there's a new movie on D+. Prime we have more for the delivery but I am watching Picard. I've downgraded to the two screen Netflix though, it all adds up.

IndigoPrime

We're still on the lowest Netflix rung. Single screen. SD, IIRC.

Richard

Netflix has Better Call Saul, which is brilliant. Probably not for everyone though.

wedgeski

Netflix still has a ton of content for us and a massive backlog which often gets as run through the telly. Ozark, Russian Doll, Arcane, Witcher, Bridgerton. Plenty of randomly entertaining films passing through, Stranger things on the horizon. We could probably drop in and out every couple of months, if we wanted, but for the cost, we don't.

We're multi-streamers as well, but Apple+ is the one we drop in and out of, and Disney+ could easily join that club in the time between Marvel TV series. By contrast Netflix has a huge diversity of content.

I will say that there seems to be a concerted effort in the press to disparage Netflix since it announced its subscriber drop. I don't quite get it. Perhaps it's irrational for me to feel attached to an entertainment service, but Netflix was such incredible value for so long, and now people seem to be celebrating the fact that it no longer carries the second-party originals as if we should all be overjoyed that we now have to subscriber to two or more other services to get the same content that two or three years ago, we got under one banner.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: wedgeski on 04 May, 2022, 02:13:27 PM
Disney+ could easily join that club in the time between Marvel TV series.

Although they're being quite canny about the large overlap between Marvel fans and Star Wars fans — there's rarely been more than a very few weeks between either a Marvel or SW series running (see: Moon Knight wrapping up today and Obi-Wan starting three weeks later, for example).
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.