Main Menu

Strips you wanna see gone

Started by Dudley, 18 August, 2003, 03:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

Slaine -
Please please please get rid of this.  It's over.  Let go.  I don't care if its written by a legend of UK comics publishing.  It's boring shite weighed down by its own self importance and need to fill up an epic with material more suited to a one-off.

Rogue Trooper -
You're not going to convince me that you've got back the essence of a once-great strip simply by sticking it in black and white and inventing some new characters.  It's boring, irrelevant, pointless, weighed down by too much back story...

Devlin Waugh -
Controversial?  Probably not.  After SIX BLOODY MONTHS of the incomprehensible gobbledegook about, um, Christ only knows, we've now had SIX BLOODY MONTHS of watching Devlin make sub-Oscar Wilde quips while being hunted by unimaginatively-drawn vampires, surrounded by unintelligent nonentities.  That's SIX BLOODY MONTHS during which time we haven't actually been given characters to care about, plots to grip us, or indeed anything else to enjoy.  The character's great, but it seems to be beyond Smith to actually come up with something to do with him.  Meanwhile the art needs to come back up to the experimental, highly detailed level that Sean Philips drew the bar at.

Tales of Telguuth - It is really quite rubbish, isn't it?

Slippery PD

One tops my list and thats
Sinister[backslash]Dexter - They need a huge reinvention.  The two characters are now parodies of what they once were.  The plots are a series of Puns and jokes strung together and basically thats not good enough.  Since Eurocrash and tales of download there has been no character development and no story progression, its as if the writer presed reset and none of it ever happened.  So we go from one of the most intriguing storylines 2000ad has published to a run of the worst.

Slaine - I agree

Adam Twycross

Oh, god.... Bec and Kawl. Make it end, for god's sake!

John Caliber

Beck & Kawl, Caballistics, Lobster Random, Sinister Dexter, Past Imperfect [whatever it's called...], Future Shocks ... that's about it I think. Other than these, 2000AD is great!

- John

Link: http://www.btinternet.com/~john.caliber" target="_blank">Judge Dredd Justice Central

http://www.btinternet.com/~john.caliber/jdjclogo---1.jpg">
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Devons Daddy

slaine
its good to see him return with superb art and a decent script. we should let him go now.

sin and dex.
either major development or looooooonnnnngggg rest.

Tales of Telguuth , poor poor poor.drop it and run away.

we talking recent history i take it.currently the whole 2k universe is so damn good its hard to be really critical.

still we can always talk of the 90s.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Art

John Caliber

Aye, get shut of Devlin Waugh - or at least write interesting stories for him. There's nothing controversial about gay characters any more; who really cared anyway? Since when did his sexuality dictate the plot? All Waugh has been about is killing vampires, interspersed with deadpan quips and twiddling of trademark moustache.

Please ... no more vampires in 2000AD. They've been done to undeath and are not remotely interesting - not after the laughing stock that Buffy made them into...! But werewolves... bring them on - as long as it's not Devlin Waugh facing off with them.

- John
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

John Caliber

No, no... keep Strontium Dog :). As much as it might seem I'm one of these 'old skool' cultists who cannot accept the changing face of 2000AD, it's far off the mark; I want lots of new strips, but true to the classic spirit of the comic; that's what I look for when I open my prog, stories that I can't get anywhere else - that's what 2000AD used to be best at. Dredd and SD radiate that spirit and that's why I keep deferring to them. I sincerely wish that one day I could enjoy new efforts more than both of these old soldiers.

- John

JTurner

Devlin Waugh is just wasting space in the Meg. Each episode is identical and seems to be going nowhere. Even Wardog was more readable than this tosh.

Slaine is just the same old story over and over. As a character he has lost all direction, and is simply going nowhere. I can't see any continuity, and each story is just an excuse for a new demon and more gore. I'll see how the current run ends. It is showing some potential, let's hope it's not wasted.

Bec and Kawl - from Lobster Random back to this?

ToT, FS, PI, and all those six page stories unless they really are one-off fillers. I don't like the six week runs of one part stories - I'd rather see a six part story (and not a six part past imperfect!) , or maybe give other thrills double the space. And   they should only be given to new writers and artists as showcases. It seems that old writers just churn out old ideas. Over and over.

Oddboy

Rogue Trooper - really I don't care if it comes back or not.  By the end of the latest series I was quite into it in a "How's he gonna get out of this one?" way - but TBH I don't really care.  I've never been a huge fan of RT in the first place though.

Sl?ine is being very repetitive, we don't need more of the same.

Sinister Dexter - I'm all for them having a loooong rest as people keep suggesting. (The longest rest they've had since I re-joined 2000AD in '97 has been a gap of 17 weeks between Relode & the latest run.)
However - a long rest is only good if they come back BETTER.
They were one of the reasons I got back into 2000AD when I returned to the fold.  It's a shame what they've become.  Having said that - the very last story we had from SinDex was a great episode.
I'll hold that in mind ifandwhen they return.
Better set your phaser to stun.

John Caliber

Slaine is a funny beast for me. I don't mind having it in 2000AD, but wouldn't care if I didn't see it again - does that make sense?

- John

Proudhuff

Jings, Dudley you've opened a can o worms, but i agree meself, i love the Devlin Waugh character, but nothing much has been done wi' him, unleash him! and let us see what he's made of.

Huffy

DDT did a job on me

Tex Hex

Yeah I have to say that the last four or so episodes of Devlin waugh are all identical in my mind. Run into room! Vampires get in and devlin chops them! Run to next room! More vampires! Eeek! Ad Infinitum. I have no desire to see this continue, which is a real shame because I really liked swimming in blood.

SinDex. Didnt even like this when it was "good". Im not totally offended by it, just never liked it.

Stront Im all for keeping. Just give him some character development is all. Weve got one hard ass, stone cold bastard in Dredd, we dont need another!

Grant Goggans

I think the only recent series I'm in no rush to see again are Slaine, The Red Seas, Asylum and Atavar, most of which are apparently returning.

And Telguuth.  If Moore's not going to give us something as iconic and goofy as Axel Pressbutton, he can go away.

Dropping Sinister Dexter until a big return in Prog 2005 wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

--Grant

Link: http://www.2000ad.org/thrillpower" target="_blank">Touched By the Hand of Tharg

Art