Main Menu

Prog 2269 - Step out of line...

Started by Colin YNWA, 12 February, 2022, 05:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Interesting, we're about to leap into an anniversary Prog and we'll have two stories continuing making it not really a jump on Prog... I'm not complaining the line-up coming out of the 45th Ann Prog is looking stella... mind I'm getting ahead of myself we need to get there yet and that means getting through this weeks Prog... and its not bad, but its very much the Prog with filler.

Dredd is okay a neat done in one, nothing more. Nicolo Assirelli's art is looking a bit too tidy as well, its got a smoother line than this work in The Returners and if I'm honest that cost its some of the energy its had before.

Terror Tale well again its neat and easy to follow, which is an step up from some of John Tomlinson's more recent done in ones. Its just a little flat and inconsequential. Nice art by Anna Morozova though.

Saphir2 - okay, looks good, but hasn't inspired me to crave anymore.

So the last two are the thrills running into the 45th and the good news is they are the standouts, if by chance not necessarily the most engaging of these runs.

The Order has a decent episode, all action and bluster and we move the battle on Isle of the Dead on. Little else to report on this one, but fun.

Proteus Vex decent episode that move the plot on, but not as intricate as other episodes.

So yeah not the best Prog. Its not too much of an issue as focus is on next week, but in and of itself a bit of a let down.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Hmm. Not a great prog all round, for me. I like the cover—a striking Dredd pose that looks great at all sizes. Then we're into the actual Dredd tale. It feels like the fifth page could have been a bit tighter. Arguably, it's Dredd's actions that [spoiler]kill the kid, since he causes Olbrecht to knock the lever[/spoiler]. Like last week's Dredd, it was entertaining enough but all felt a bit retro.

The Terror Tale looked good, but felt like it could have lost a page or two and been much tighter before that final reveal, which didn't quite click.

Saphir ended well enough. Nice art. Deserves a re-read. Not sure I need more though. Same with The Order, which I'm now kind of reading on autopilot, like I did with the last few Sláine runs. I should be more into this—perhaps, like Red Seas, it'll read better collected.

Which leaves Proteus Vex. Despite being a talky episode, it's the highlight of a Prog that feels a bit lost and in need of a boost right now. What's that? Brink is back next week? Sorted.

Proteus Vex > Dredd > Saphir > Terror Tale > The Order

Barrington Boots

I got three Progs this weekend (the latest three, rather than three totally random ones) and this by far is the weakest although I did like the cover.

Dredd nothing wrong with this Dredd but also nothing outstanding about it. I agree with IP that Dredd's actions accidentally cause the issue so his sentencing seems a bit over the top but also that this is an old school, less nuanced Dredd that we've seen for a while.
Didn't realise this was the same artist as The Returners, I did prefer his looser art on that series, what I've read of it.

Terror Tale Lovely art on this but felt a bit rambling dialogue-wise: not sure what the [spoiler]rats[/spoiler], for example, add to this. I often feel I'm harsh on these one shot tales, but to absolutely click they need to be really good and this is quite good at best.

Saphir - I have thoroughly enjoyed this. It's absolute nonsense, of course, but having read that the conceit is that the whole thing is supposed to have a dreamlike quality, it makes sense and once you stop looking for the plot to be tightly written, it's superb. All the stuff like diving through mirrors to emerge from bathtubs is glorious - the whole thing has an ethereal dreamlike quality, nothing is explained and I love it. I do hope this returns. It goes without saying the art is fantastic.

The Order is The Order. Reading three episodes at once helped. I like this strip but I think it's got slowly, steadily less engaging with every run in the Prog. I don't really care for any of the characters in peril here so not especially engaged in what happens to them: hope we return to the other group (with rubbish Gideon) soon.

Proteus Vex still enjoyable, although I sometimes feel like I read this and then what happened plot-wise slides right out of my mind, leaving only the visuals. Again, three episodes in one helped, and reading all the episodes together is even better. I like the fact that this strip is ambitious and looks immense.

A quick note on Kingmaker as I've missed the last two Prog review threads - I was a huge fan of the last couple of runs of this and whilst this latest one has continued to be superlative art-wise, I've not really missed it being gone from the last two Progs. Everything feels a bit rushed: I have the vague impression I've skipped a few episodes and everything is moving at an incredible rate compared to the early episodes. I do wonder if we're moving towards either change the focus of the strip altogether or an end it, neither of which I want to happen. Be interesting to see what happens when we come back.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

A decent prog but more to the disappointing level but next week we go into celebration mode.

Dredd – Another one shot but little of a nothing story so it was alright but the saving act cost more than the total some of things.  I almost did not recognize the art of Nicolo Assirelli I prefer his work on The Returners

Terror Tale – The last few TT's from Tomlison was not the greatest at least this one is much better but still I did find it predictable and boring. Art was good.

Saphir – The story was one wild ride the pace tremendous as we jump between the beautiful scenes crafted by David and the story was exciting. The story ends on a happy note. I defiantly would want more of this and for some reason this reminds me of The Alienist (which I also would like more please)

The Order – Our one hero in peril saved by the valiant crew as the action heats up. Another cliffhanger ending as we decent into the depths of the ocean.

Porteus Vex – This episode focuses on a conversion which allow Carroll to further explorer the galaxy of Vex. This was a good episode yes lacking action but more important world-building, great stuff. The highlight of the prog.

norton canes

An interesting prog if not a classic. '5 in the Cubes' is based on a nice conceit and it was actually quite shocking that the kid died but yes, ultimately it falls down because the death is accidental - why not just have Olbrecht, who's already established as a sadist, kill him purposely? Likewise, 'Foreclosure' has a satisfyingly grisly denouement but with six pages the route to it is a little overcooked; and for a story set in the near future, the hovering, tentacled droid at the end is a bit incongruous.

Saphir has been total froth but that's no bad thing. Chuckled at the panel with Jorg and 'Moocher' waving casually at each other as they race through a surreal interdimensional void. Proteus Vex is the strip that's been consistently hitting the nail on the head the last few weeks though, and this episode is no exception with some lovely dialogue and beautiful art.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 14 February, 2022, 02:24:13 PM

Saphir - I have thoroughly enjoyed this. It's absolute nonsense, of course, but having read that the conceit is that the whole thing is supposed to have a dreamlike quality, it makes sense and once you stop looking for the plot to be tightly written, it's superb. All the stuff like diving through mirrors to emerge from bathtubs is glorious - the whole thing has an ethereal dreamlike quality, nothing is explained and I love it. I do hope this returns. It goes without saying the art is fantastic.

Couldn't have said it any better, David Roach's art has always been sublime and the level of detail in the Saphir stories has been wondrous. I've long stopped trying to make sense of Kek-w and his work and so no need to try and fathom it all out, just go along for the ride and enjoy the visuals and this warming tale

broodblik

Proudhuff

Feels like a bit of a holding pattern just now, not a lots exciting me in the Prog, its been a bit of a fallow year in the Prog for me so far, I'm hoping The Citadel will change that!
DDT did a job on me