Main Menu

Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Started by Richmond Clements, 11 June, 2007, 12:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wils

The velociraptors are a lot more rock than I remember, too.

That's me bollocksed then. They were more than hard enough for me the first time around. :s

VampiraJen

Dear god, woman! You played Angel of Darkness all the way through?

lol.  i wanted to believe it would get better.  it didn't.  hurrah for crystal dynamics

VampiraJen

Surely the one and only point of Tomb Raider was to shot endlessly repetitive wolves, and then let yourself get slowly killed by vampire bats or drowning once you got bored?

saving at the top of st francis's folly the chucking her over and listen to her scream....then CRACK! who hasn't done that...? :)

Radbacker

pffft, wasn't a fricken Playstaion game to begin with you know, first designed and released for the Sega Saturn then co-opted by Sony and pushed as a Sony game(because at that stage if you didn't want to play Toshinden or Ridge Racer there wasn't much on the PSX).

CU Radbacker

ThryllSeekyr

I remember shoppping around for good console games machine in the early ninties.

I was looking at the specs for the newly released 'Sega Saturn'.

Not so impressive now. But thats progress for you.

Anyway I didn't end up buying any of those until Playstation Two had been around for few months  and brought one of those instead.

Anyway, I was glad that I waited.

First copule of games I brought which still only Playstation One games.
'Alone in the Dark'
'Spiderman' Not the game based on any of the movies. Based on the original cartoon. I though it was cool as there appaer to be huge free roaming enviroment if you stuck to the roof tops. If you tried going to street level , there deadly gas that would knock you out. Forgot who the main bad guys were, but I was never able to make it past Mysterio.
'One of those popluar 3d fighting games that you would play in the arcade.
'Worms'
'Dark Cloud' which was the only game that specifically for the Playstation two. Perhaps Alittle babish for me, but I didn't have a wide selection of games to choose from at the time.
Some of the more popular Final Fantacy games.

I didn't bother buying any of the 'Tomb Raider ' games. Though I recall seeing 'Tomb Raider' one two and three gold. Packed together.

Am I missing out.

Adrian Bamforth

Well PS1 games like Tomb Raider are so cheap as to be practically free so I'd say give them a go.

VampiraJen

'One of those popluar 3d fighting games that you would play in the arcade.

tekken?  virtua fighter?

definatly give tr a go.  go for the first one.  its kind of blocky and cluncky now, but lara moves a lot better than a lot of other characters from that era. if you like old school games go for it.

Mikey

I started this over the weekend (finally finished Okami)

It looks just georgeous and I'm enjoying it muchly.I'm determined to get all the relics etc as well,so I'm spending ages on each level.

The 'raptors are excellent wee brutes,and t rex is a great design,but it doesn't loom out of the darkness like in TR1-lacks that 'wow!'but as a remake,what can you expect?

My niggle is the fact that,even though there have been several TR games for PS2,the original controls are ingrained on my brain,so i keep going for the wrong buttons.Especially when i want to walk and NOT fall off a ledge.Lara doesn't walk as well either.And I miss the 'look' function.

I'm babbling now...suffice to say me likey!

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Adrian Bamforth

Would you prefer it if it had the original modelling (but better), movements and 'block' system of the old games, i.e. not so clearly built from scratch but just improved, or have you taken to the new game? Does it still feel like Tomb Raider to you?

VampiraJen

i think with a remake you cant just slap new graphics onto an old game.  i like that they've reworked how you play certain sections of the game.  graphical improvements are great and all, but if they were to keep everything blocky and lara moving on a grid based system, the game would have sucked.  plus also the remake will want to invite in new players as well as bring back some old ones.  this game does feel more like tomb raider than legends did coz its about puzzles and the occasional (endangered) animal

Wils

I'm just about to start Black Buccaneer, which is basically Tomb Raider but with pirates. Yarrtastic.

Mikey

"have you taken to the new game? Does it still feel like Tomb Raider to you?"

Yeah,I've taken to it alright!It feels like Tomb Raider for the first time in years.Don't get me wrong-I like all the changes in game play with yer grapple hook,atheltic climbing etc

As I said before-it looks fantastic,so I would definately prefer this 'remake' version to an 'improved' version of the old game.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Richmond Clements

and the occasional (endangered) animal

So I'm not the only one who feels kinda guilty as I shoot a gorilla in the face with a shotgun then?

Bico

Not if by 'guilty' you mean 'aroused'...

Richmond Clements

Who in their right bloody mind build structures like this anyway?
Big giant rooms full of billowing flames with a bloody handles hidden below crocodile infested lakes? Mentalists!