Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

That's a shitty choice. If I were in that position, I'd go Sinn Fein through very gritted teeth, purely to keep out the DUP, and never let the Sinn Fein MP forget it if they were elected.

radiator

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 November, 2019, 07:43:37 PM
Your proxy has to be registered themselves and able to vote in that particular election. They do not have to be able to vote in your polling station, but if they cannot will need to contact your electoral registration office to sort a postal vote. Ideally, you would want someone local to your polling station, if that's possible.

Cheers.

Whenever I've looked into postal voting in the past the timeline has always seemed way too short. I did send my postal vote in the last general election, but have no idea if it actually got there in time.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mister Pops on 07 November, 2019, 07:49:46 PMWho should I vote for? A party that doesn't represent me in any way, or a party that won't represent me anyway? Should I even bother?

I've always thought the choice over here has been a remarkably straightforward paradigm for Western democracy in the last twenty years: you vote for whoever will do the least damage if they get in.  That this is usually a representative of a paramilitary murder gang rather than a devout Christian says a great deal about this toilet of a country.

Tjm86

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 November, 2019, 09:30:44 PM
....  you vote for whoever will do the least damage if they get in. 

What exactly does that say about the UK?  Voters are faced with a choice between lunatics, fascists, murderers, xenophobes, religious fundamentalists ...

You know, I ordered the 'Apathy Party' t-shirt because whenever politics has crept into Dredd it has been dangerously accurate.  The challenge on 12th December is going to be to decide between that and the Vote Dave t-shirt.

The Legendary Shark

Voting, for me, is like a political placebo - it might make one feel better but ultimately has no real effect.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Except that a placebo *can* have a real effect.

The Legendary Shark

Only if one believes in it.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 08 November, 2019, 10:57:04 PM

Only if one believes in it.

No. There are studies showing that you can give patients placebo tablets and actually tell them that it's just sugar and there's still a statistically measurable improvement in their outcomes.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Placebo Party slogan: "Vote for us. Statistically, your life will improve despite us doing nothing!"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

I'd get that on the side of a bus pronto if I were you.

Professor Bear

Johnson made a minor gaffe at the Remembrance Day ceremony by laying a wreath upside down and the BBC accidentally removed the few seconds of footage in which the gaffe occurred, accidentally deleted it, then accidentally ordered the retrieval of footage of the 2016 Remembrance Day ceremony from their library, then accidentally trimmed out several seconds featuring Johnson laying a wreath properly, accidentally spliced that into yesterday's footage, then accidentally didn't tell anyone until they were called out on it by several viewers on social media.  Well anyway purdah is going well.

I am always amused during general election season - which now happens often enough that I can make this observation - to see that Rupert Murdoch's SKY News is more reliable than the BBC when it comes to observing purdah rules, but I imagine that has more to do with the BBC being untouchable and knowing it while the working stiffs at SKY know a bad OFCOM ruling can end their careers.

Hawkmumbler

It's a truly baffling bit of deliberate misdirection by the beeb, as if they thought no one would notice.

Frank

Sky News is a subsidiary of US cable provider Comcast*. Cenotaph-gate is Corbyn's-hat-gate all over again.

* home of MSNBC, Trump's favourite

Professor Bear

The BBC explained that: they didn't put the Kremlin in the background of an existing photo and then change the hat to look like an ushanka, all they did was adjust the contrast.

JOE SOAP