Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Otter

What I should have fully said is comparing tragedies in shorts bursts of social media chatter like twitter (where I saw the comparison) to bring a point across might not be a good idea of putting a point across, some people might it offensive. Apologies if I offended you blackmocco.

Frank

Quote from: Big Barry PengeBack on 20 December, 2012, 08:01:43 PM
Hmmm, I find that nettavist bollocks almost as offensive as Phelps himself (almost) - profoundly childish, especially seeing as Phelps surrounds himself with his horrifically abused descendants.  But yeah, it almost makes me wish that the Jesus of the Gospels was an immortal omnipotent deity, because by my reading he would kick their twisted inhuman arses.

"In May 2011, representatives of the Ku Klux Klan distanced themselves from the church, denouncing them as "hatemongers".[185]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church#Criticism

MercZ

I can't figure out sometimes if WBC is serious or if they are the best trolls to ever exist.

Stan

I've often wondered if they're some kind of COINTELPRO type thing but a friend suggested the following on his FB page. Not sure how accurate it is.

"And all of a sudden, as if in answer to my quandary, I stumble upon a logical answer to a long standing question just by paying attention to my friends posting. Observe: Ivory Blom: (to) Matt DeMille- also...the westboro baptist church...they are lawyers and its big business for them. The Phelps family and their hate group do not actually protest based on any real belief system. This is a business model for them. They purposefully seek to protest in the most offensive places so that municipalities will infringe upon their First Amendment rights...Once this happens, they sue... and they win. its abuse. how bout that?"

Stan

The point is, I find them very suspicious so the above answer would at least make sense to me if true.

Modern Panther

Ah, the NRA, bless 'em, continue to simplify the situation with their view that, in a world with too many black-hats, what we really need is a whole bunch of well armed white-hats. 

And what people really want in a time of tragedy is simple answers to complex questions.

judgefloyd

on an unrelated point, does anyone else get annoyed by politicians taking credit where none is due?  Our local hack, after years of 'that's not my department' responses to anything unpopular, took credit for every bloody road, tramstop and school in the electorate when election time came up.  That's not unusual.
Recently the government here backed off a commitment to get the budget back in surplus, having previously committed to this goal.  A lot of economists had said it was a stupid goal, but, the electorate being pretty dim, the govt had promised to achieve it.  When they finally said they couldn't do it, the economists were mostly positive and the opposition was predictably scornful. 
  Next thing I know, I get an email from the Greens leader saying the government has finally listened to them.  Now the Greens here are not without influence, since they help prop up a minority government (think your Lib Dems but with an ounce of principle), but there was no evidence at all that the Greens had anything to do with the decision at all.  Harrumph.

The Legendary Shark

The way to take back our power from the politicians is to first take back the money supply.

Have a look at the Lawful Bank.

Control the purse strings, control the government.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Ancient Otter

It may be the holidays but the scumbags keep on scumming:

Timbuktu mausoleums 'destroyed'

Therecent issue of New Internationalist had an article about a lot if the recent upheaval in Mali has been fueled by the Americans....

MercZ

Here's some more moronic stuff from this end of the ocean. I was rather amused. Note the headine

http://nation.foxnews.com/connecticut-elementary-school-shooting/2012/12/20/bikers-turn-out-protect-newtown-mourners-westboro-baptist-church

Bikers Turn Out to Protect Newtown Mourners from Left-Wing Westboro Cult

Bikers descended on the town of Newtown yesterday and linked arms blocking the hate group protesters of Westboro Baptist Church from disrupting the funerals. (Free Republic)

Conservative bikers turned out yesterday to protect Newtown mourners from Democrat Fred Phelps and his Westboro cult from protesting.
The Cochrane Times reported:

Bikers seem to have thwarted attempts by the Westboro Baptist Church to protest the funeral of Newtown, Conn., shooting victim Principal Dawn Hochsprung.

I guess Fox News sees WBC as a left-wing organization, and Phelps a no good dirty Democrat. Yeah, Phelps ran as a democrat back in the 80s and 90s before he went crazy and off the rails, but I just found this small article rather funny. Fox quality.

Stan

I wasn't aware of that connection but colour me unsurprised. The Democrats and Ku Klux Klan have a long and hateful relationship together. This adds to my suspicion that the WBC may not be what they seem on the surface.

And Fox News sucks.

Ancient Otter

U.S.S.R

Margaret Thatcher really was scum.
Gays into the Fist of Dredd!

COMMANDO FORCES

The Prodigal

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 29 December, 2012, 03:55:01 PM
She is BRILLIANT

I cannot conceive of how anyone can regard someone who wanted to dismantle the welfare state as brilliant.

Abolish the NHS is a brilliant notion?

I dearly hope you are a wum.