Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: Modern Panther on 13 March, 2017, 05:39:56 PM
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the second round of the popular gameshow...Lets All Leave A Union.

In this round, you'll gain points for counting the number of times the following phrases are thrown at you over the next two years.  Are you ready?  The Words Of Fear are...

Scoxit

Good luck everyone!

:lol:

That one made me spew tea over my computer.

Tjm86

Listening to Mrs May on the radio on the way home, I couldn't help but laugh at how she was condemning the SNP.  Suggesting that the referendum would cast the nation into doubt and uncertainty, that the Holyrood government would better serve the Scottish people by concentrating on their needs rather than playing politics.  This coming from a woman who's party did precisely that on a national scale.  There is now no longer a line between farce and British politics.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 13 March, 2017, 07:07:56 PM
This coming from a woman who's party did precisely that on a national continental scale.

Frank

Listening to Mrs May on the radio on the way home, I couldn't help but laugh at how she was  ... (s)uggesting that the referendum would cast the nation into doubt and uncertainty

Aye, that caused more tea spitting in my house.

To be fair, the same contradiction is inherent in the argument that Scotland needs to leave the UK because nations know how best to govern in their own interests and lack influence in any relationship with a larger power ... but we need to stay in the EU at all costs.

I'm open to both arguments, but if one's valid the other isn't.

sheridan

Quote from: Modern Panther on 13 March, 2017, 05:39:56 PM
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the second round of the popular gameshow...Lets All Leave A Union.

In this round, you'll gain points for counting the number of times the following phrases are thrown at you over the next two years.  Are you ready?  The Words Of Fear are...

Spanish Veto.  Dependence on Oil.  Separatist.  Deficit Worse Than Greece.  Scoxit.  Will of the People.  Narrowminded.  Dangerous.  Kilt.  Once in a Generation.  One Party State.  Petty Nationalism.  Hadrian's Wall.  Anti-English.  Complicated.  Queen Nicola.  Subsidies. Cybernat.   Jock.  Porridge.  Junkie.  Ruled by Brussels.  JK Rowling.  Braveheart.  Ukip.  Flooded by Immigrants.

Good luck everyone!

Stolen and turned in to Scottish Independence Bingo (hope you don't mind?)

Leigh S

Quote from: Frank on 13 March, 2017, 07:33:06 PM
Listening to Mrs May on the radio on the way home, I couldn't help but laugh at how she was  ... (s)uggesting that the referendum would cast the nation into doubt and uncertainty

Aye, that caused more tea spitting in my house.

To be fair, the same contradiction is inherent in the argument that Scotland needs to leave the UK because nations know how best to govern in their own interests and lack influence in any relationship with a larger power ... but we need to stay in the EU at all costs.

I'm open to both arguments, but if one's valid the other isn't.

It is only a contradiction if you buy into the EU stealing your "sovereignty"

Frank

Quote from: Leigh S on 13 March, 2017, 07:43:45 PM

It isn't * and - for the sake of clarity - I don't, Leigh.

* Knowing how best to govern yourself and lacking influence (see above) are not the same as having sovereignty stolen

IndigoPrime

Both amendments defeated. One was to ensure parliamentary sovereignty over the final deal, and the other was to within three months come up with a plan guarantee the rights of EEA nationals living here. Both turned down. Labour rumoured to now throw in the towel in the Lords.

Fucking hell. Both of these are obvious concessions that should be made. That the government won't budge on EEA rights to even this level has now shifted from worrying to terrifying. They keep talking about tying up rights in the final deal (which sources suggest the Tories are going to storm off from anyway) and/or reciprocality (which is literally impossible to do en masse). No idea what the future is for my family now. I hate this so much, and all of this stupidity by the government was so easily avoidable.

(On the reciprocality 'deal', the UK will be a third country. EU nations only have to allow various freedoms to each other. They can do whatever the hell they like to anyone else. So the UK at best will have to do deals with every EU27 nation AND the EFTA nations. And this will be a problem, because Spain isn't going to give a shit about the UK, given how few Spaniards are here, compared to how many Brits are in Spain, say. What a horrible mess.)

Steve Green

Never mind, at least Boris is up for building another royal boat...

Leigh S

Never thought you did, Frank!  But worth pointing out as I can see Brexiters taking a line running "they want to give up being ruled by the UK to be ruled by the EU" taking root pretty soon, when it isnt really equivalent

Quote from: Frank on 13 March, 2017, 08:00:51 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 13 March, 2017, 07:43:45 PM

It isn't * and - for the sake of clarity - I don't, Leigh.

* Knowing how best to govern yourself and lacking influence (see above) are not the same as having sovereignty stolen

Leigh S

At this point the only logical conclusion is that Westminster have decided the naughty voting public need a lesson in why referendums are not a good idea, so are actively working to make this as disastrous as possible...

IndigoPrime

And now Labour's capitulated, somehow arguing that the Lib Dems were using this as an excuse to boost their membership. What is the point of Labour these days?

GordonR

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 March, 2017, 09:43:31 PM
And now Labour's capitulated, somehow arguing that the Lib Dems were using this as an excuse to boost their membership. What is the point of Labour these days?

A question many voters will be asking themselves at the council elections this May, I suspect.

Here in Scotland it must be like the last days in the Fuhrerbunker at Glasgow City Chambers.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 March, 2017, 08:05:06 PM
That the government won't budge on EEA rights to even this level has now shifted from worrying to terrifying.

Bloody hell IP, how appallingly, unnecessarily stressful for you guys. The pigheaded backwards fuckery of your current parliament never ceases to horrify. Still, May apparently has a 75% approval rating with the over 65s (versus 7% for Corbyn), so she's obviously playing to the right audience.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 March, 2017, 09:43:31 PM

What is the point of Labour these days?

Same as it's always been - to maintain the illusion of choice.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]