Main Menu

‘Dark Judges’ Online Miniseries

Started by JOE SOAP, 06 October, 2014, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Taylor

Arguments around who's treading on whose copyrightable toes and such aside (which are pure speculation because we have no information about Rebellion's involvement or lack thereof at this point) I'm quite looking forward to watching this. As has been said by others, it looks like fun. It's definitely not the animation style I'd have chosen or expected, but hey, that'd just all part of life's rich tapestry. If nothing ever defied our expectations it would be dull indeed.

If the material is good in the long run I'll support it. Much like I'm supporting the Zenith reprints - coincidentally Phase One popped through my letterbox today - because I'm just glad it's out there. And before I cop an earful for that, yes I do know it's a completely different situation. Regardless, there are still some copyright 'issues' involved in both cases.

Stan

I'm not really arsed about the intricacies of the legal debate but I would've thought this could be seen as a good way of testing the waters for animated Dredd (and other characters). It's free and someone else does the donkey work.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: pauljholden on 24 October, 2014, 04:58:45 PMBut up until the animated series it was mostly assumed to be some sort of live action thing

To the public, that was the case, which was all down to Shankar not being clear about what he intended. I'm not privy to the scope of Rebellion's awareness on this but 2000AD were seen to reach out to Shankar last year for him to contact them. I don't expect them to publicly comment either way.

pauljholden

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 24 October, 2014, 05:00:19 PM
Arguments around who's treading on whose copyrightable toes and such aside (which are pure speculation because we have no information about Rebellion's involvement or lack thereof at this point)

Aside from the intros to the videos where Shanker makes it clear that Rebellion have had zero involvement...

-pj

pauljholden

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 October, 2014, 05:09:50 PM
Quote from: pauljholden on 24 October, 2014, 04:58:45 PMBut up until the animated series it was mostly assumed to be some sort of live action thing

To the public, that was the case, which was all down to Shankar not being clear about what he intended. I'm not privy to the scope of Rebellion's awareness on this but 2000AD were seen to reach out to Shankar last year for him to contact them. I don't expect them to publicly comment either way.

My reading is if they were as pleased as punch and fully support this they'd be talking about it - certainly that's been true of every other fan project they've supported.

But you're right, this is all speculation. Let's get back to whether it's shite or not! (I'm kidding!)

Anyhue, I've said what I wanted to (possibly, as is often the case, far more than once) so I'm out!

-pj

JOE SOAP

Quote from: pauljholden on 24 October, 2014, 05:14:34 PM
My reading is if they were as pleased as punch and fully support this they'd be talking about it - certainly that's been true of every other fan project they've supported.

Possibly, but they might be in a bind on this one if they can't be seen to support something that is not official, especially in terms or where it originates from. They haven't denigrated it either, which I assume they could, if wanted.

Quote from: pauljholden on 24 October, 2014, 05:14:34 PM
But you're right, this is all speculation. Let's get back to whether it's shite or not! (I'm kidding!)

At the moment it looks to be a bit of a curate's egg.

M.I.K.

On the other hand, if this had been officially endorsed by Rebellion and they were uber-enthusiastic, that'd mean that if it were to be a steaming pile of poop, they'd get lumbered with some of the blame.

Whereas, because it isn't endorsed by Rebellion or DNA and Alice Cooper Adi Shankar has made it very clear it isn't, if it's guff, they can just wash their hands of it and say "nowt to do with us, guv", or somesuch other unlikely colloquialism.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: pauljholden on 24 October, 2014, 05:11:23 PM
Quote from: Mark Taylor on 24 October, 2014, 05:00:19 PM
Arguments around who's treading on whose copyrightable toes and such aside (which are pure speculation because we have no information about Rebellion's involvement or lack thereof at this point)

Aside from the intros to the videos where Shanker makes it clear that Rebellion have had zero involvement...

-pj

From what I've seen he makes it clear it's 'not official' and 'not endorsed' (there may be something out there I haven't seen in which case someone could maybe point me in the direction). That doesn't preclude the possibility that he approached Rebellion and they said, in effect, go ahead but we're not giving you any official support or recognition.

Mark Taylor

BTW if Judge Dredd takes his helmet off and cries like a baby only to be consoled by loving girl Judge kisses at the end, I'll call it a pile of shite.

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

ABCwarBOT

I admit I'm biased anyway as I don't like Death but I'm not sure this is a good way of promoting things Dredd.   

I like the way Shankar's trying to get more Dredd things off the ground and that there's apparently an attempt at satire in this (Dredd didn't have enough satire for me) but it does look a bit camp and like it's  from a kids animated tv channel.   

'll give it a watch though but more out of curiosity than anything else and an animated Dredd has never been top of my wants list. 

Steve Green

It's interesting looking back at Dirty Laundry - I never paid much attention to the actual crew.

The director worked on State of Grace and U2:Rattle and Hum

The DoP worked on the Grey and Silver Linings Playbook

Throw in Thomas Jane and Ron Perlman and it's a bit of a different animal to the typical fan film.

JOE SOAP

At the time Dirty Laundry was originally released it was purely promoted as a Thomas Jane instigated solo project (he has his production company) and presented by him at Comic Con. Shankar is almost never name-checked in the articles:

"The actor has apparently created a short film titled Punisher: Dirty Laundry that he released during Comic Con. He did it not because he was hired to, but because he simply loves the character and wanted to play it another time. About the short Jane said, "I wanted to make a fan film for a character I've always loved and believed in - a love letter to Frank Castle & his fans. It was an incredible experience with everyone on the project throwing in their time just for the fun of it. It's been a blast to be a part of from start to finish -- we hope the friends of Frank enjoy watching it as much as we did making it."

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Thomas-Jane-Returns-Frank-Castle-Short-Film-Punisher-Dirty-Laundry-31963.html

http://collider.com/punisher-short-film-thomas-jane/

http://comicsalliance.com/dirty-laundry-punisher-fan-film-thomas-jane-ron-perlman/

http://www.nerdist.com/2012/07/thomas-janes-dirtylaundry/

http://www.slashfilm.com/watch-dirty-laundry-thomas-janes-punisher-short-film/

Steve Green

Interesting - I thought he would have always been fairly prominent.

Theblazeuk

Only became apparent to me when we got to Truth in Journalism (which was awesome), then I realised exactly who was doing what. I think Tom Jane was half the force behind Dirty Laundry but I could be wrong.

I am very happy with this. And love the creepy saturday morning cartoon look.