Main Menu

Action Artwork July 1976

Started by EddieHitler, 22 May, 2023, 04:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieHitler

Hello

I have a couple of original art pages for Hell's Highway dated I think July 1976 so pre ban.  The first page is very good but the second has had some of the letters/words(?)from the speech bubbles removed to maybe use somewhere else?

Any idea what these pages may be worth?

Many thanks.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: EddieHitler on 22 May, 2023, 04:02:41 PMThe first page is very good but the second has had some of the letters/words(?)from the speech bubbles removed to maybe use somewhere else?

Can't help you with the value, I'm afraid, but missing balloons aren't uncommon in (UK) original art of this vintage. The adhesive-backed paper used for the lettering would lose its adhesive properties fairly quickly (as well as going both brown and often transparent at the same time) and tend to fall off after a few years with very little encouragement...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

One was listed from Silveracre about 6 years ago for £150. Now a lot of assumptions about to come up...

...assuming this was a fair price then (and Silveracre can be ambitious) and assuming it sold for that, I think its safe to assume they will be worth more than that now. The market seems to have been pretty bouyant the last few years BUT the impact of that can vary greatly from series to series, page to page from my amateur view.

So errrr I'm not being much help. Greg Meldrum once of these pastures has a page on Comic Art Fans and always seemed a decent chap so may be open to a direct enquiry via CAF (???).

If not, or otherwise, I'd seek help from one of the Facebook (I know, I know I post on a forum and still recommend Facebook, I'm SO old) Groups that deal with type of things. I personally like The House Of Tharg Original Comic Art Group, not as active as it once was but super lovely folks compared to other groups.

Good luck, assuming (AGAIN!) they are Mike White I bet they are lovely pages.

EddieHitler

Thank you Jim and Colin for the information.  I wondered if they were Mike White? I knew he did the art for HH but not sure if he did the whole run?

I have a feeling I bought them from Silver acre I think a few years back.  I made an offer lower than the asking price and it was accepted.

I know what you mean by 'friendly group' as I like vintage bicycles as well I often use the bicycle forums and you often get non friendly posters.

Many thanks again!

EddieHitler

Sorry it's funny now that I'm getting older I was convinced I only had two pages but apparently I had three and found a signed poster by Brian Holland of prog 225.  I bought that when the was a comic mart in Bidborough Street London in the early 1990s I think.

Been fun today...

EddieHitler

Quote from: EddieHitler on 26 May, 2023, 01:54:33 PMSorry it's funny now that I'm getting older I was convinced I only had two pages but apparently I had three and found a signed poster by Brian Holland of prog 225.  I bought that when the was a comic mart in Bidborough Street London in the early 1990s I think.

Been fun today...
Sorry poor English and spelling...I could never of had a career in comics 😁

Barrington Boots

These sound brilliant. I'd love to see pictures of these if you're ok to take some and upload them here.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

EddieHitler

Thanks for that Boot's.

I hadn't looked at them for ages and it's like time traveling...maybe?...esp the flared trousers.

It's that black and white art of the 1970s it had a very strong impact on me.

I did try and upload them but memory size was too big so will try and adjust when I get an opportunity later...

Thanks again.

EddieHitler

Hello

Tried to re-size jpeg but not much luck at mo as I don't want to download any software to do so but if you send me you email I can send images to you...I hope?

Barrington Boots

Sure thing, I'll send you my address via PM.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Link Prime

Quote from: EddieHitler on 23 May, 2023, 11:25:30 AMI know what you mean by 'friendly group' as I like vintage bicycles as well I often use the bicycle forums and you often get non friendly posters.

So, uh, you don't like the old-time bikes, eh?

EddieHitler

Sorry did see message but only yesterday.  I do like bicycles around the mid 80s to mid 90s.  Mainly Reynold or Columbus steel framed ones.  Hope that helps?

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 May, 2023, 04:39:21 PMGreg Meldrum once of these pastures... always seemed a decent chap
He may have seemed that way, but personally, I always suspected he was like one of those lizard-people from 'V'. (Thanks for the kind words, Colin. Have passed what info / advice I have onto the OP.)