Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
« Last post by pictsy on Today at 09:06:19 PM »
The last marvel movie I watched was the one where Bobby California was a robot who tried to destroy the world after he went on the internet for five minutes. After that I realised I couldn’t really be fucked with these films and stopped watching them. I have heard the one with the big brother from Goonies is good, but the FOMO hasn’t got the better of me yet. Still, I wouldn’t go around telling people their fun is wrong. Like, I enjoy the Fast and Furious Universe, or the Double Eff U, if you will.

TLDR: I’m the best at watching movies.

Oh how I wish I had your foresight.  It took me longer to give up on the franchise.

I also like the Double Eff U - I love that joke and I'm stealing it.

You are now my idol for watching movies.
« Last post by Mister Pops on Today at 06:58:35 PM »

a movie younger me would have loved but man

I find myself thinking this more and more, about books, telly and films. I'm not sure how it makes me feel

I find myself thinking something similar, younger me did like this, but older me doesn’t appreciate this new version that’s been repackaged for a larger audience.
Off Topic / Re: The Political Thread
« Last post by JayzusB.Christ on Today at 06:34:09 PM »
He's not even going to do the decent thing and quit, it seems. It'll be a wave of populist sloganeering from here on in, and shame on anyone who buys it at this stage of the game.
« Last post by The Enigmatic Dr X on Today at 06:18:44 PM »

a movie younger me would have loved but man

I find myself thinking this more and more, about books, telly and films. I'm not sure how it makes me feel
Ah, Némésis le Sorcier!

Mine is waiting at the post office (I assume), so that'll be a bit of excitement/disappointment for tomorrow.

Books & Comics / Re: New Comic Book Day Megathread
« Last post by Colin YNWA on Today at 05:01:15 PM »
Next up.

Robin and Batman 3 look its swopped Batman and Robin round to show how clever and different it is... except its just not. Its a good comic, and the lovely art raises it to a point where it could be said to be a very good comic and I LOVE Jeff Lemire... but its really not doing anything new. Its telling us a tale of Robin that's been told, even if very nicely. And frankly swopping the characters names around in the title isn't enough. More fool me for buying this very good comic!

Unlike the me who should be celebrated for buying Monkey Meat 1. I'm not quite sure why this caught my eye in Previews but it did and I'm very glad. Juni Ba's tale tells of the deals we make in a capialist word. If its like anything else I've read its like a Mark Russell comic with art turned up to 11, told through the lens of an island where monkeys and other animals make Monkey meat production, from souls and tricking God into signing contracts... its really very good.

Oh and speaking of Mark Russell let's check in on the inequivible high number of comics I've bought with his name on. One-Star Squadron 2 is heartbreakingly good as Animal Man 7. As misfit heroes do their best to get by and betrayal seems the order of the day. Not all Robots 5 ends this hard and brilliantly unpleasent series with a cheery 'Of Volume 1' suggesting there is more to come. Which will certainly be welcome as the obslete humans escape to a new land with obslete robots. Excited to see this one come back. My Bad 3 moves this series up from the bottom of the pile to the top as this is the issue that makes it all click for me. Its Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen done even better!

Other comics creators produce valid work as well though. Echolands 5 shows the ongoing intricate art of JH Williams doesn't bog the simple chase tale down and it hammers along its referential road really well. Human Target 3 after the Ice comes the Guy and Guy comes with chuckles. Nice issue if not as good as last months.

Top of the pile. Well once again Frontiersman 4 just misses out =- well issue 3 missed out last time. As villain of the week this time is a giant ex-lover and police, friends and colleagues all have a view on what to do about the death last time. This is just a fascinating series. So the generous and wonderful What's the Furtherest Place from Here? 3 presents a creepy horror story, that is at its core no more original than Robin and Batman but wraps it up so much better that you miss the similarities and familiar until you come to type up about it for any fellow nerds who bother to read this nonsense!
Film & TV / Re: Current TV Boxset Addiction
« Last post by Tjm86 on Today at 04:04:24 PM »
Well, finally got round to watching the second series of Whedon's Dollhouse.  Actually, both seasons back to back which worked reasonably well.

It's not hideous, to be sure.  There are plenty of good ideas packed in.  Tudyk hams it up big style as a psycho in the few episodes he is in.

One nice thing is that the writing on the wall clearly gave the creative team the heads up to wrap things up.  The net result being that there is a conclusion of sorts.
« Last post by Hawkmumbler on Today at 03:18:29 PM »
It is slightly funny folks got in a tizz about someone voicing an opinion, over post where they didn't even voice an opinion. Love to see it.

LAST NIGHT IN SOHO

Next on my list of 2021 catch ups, a movie younger me would have loved but man, Edgar Wright really just isn't for me anymore. Self indulgent and fundamentally misunderstanding the genre modes that allegedly inspired him, all to churn out a turgid, weary excuse for a haunting tale. Not good.
« Last post by Jim_Campbell on Today at 03:08:38 PM »
Still, I wouldn’t go around telling people their fun is wrong.

Well, quite. Lots of people seem to have enjoyed the newest Star Wars movies. I didn't, and have said so. What I don't do* is pop up online everytime someone says they did enjoy them and tell them why they're wrong. God knows, everything is depressing enough as it is, without trying to suck the joy out of what little cheer people are able to find.

*…any more.
« Last post by Mister Pops on Today at 01:21:12 PM »
The last marvel movie I watched was the one where Bobby California was a robot who tried to destroy the world after he went on the internet for five minutes. After that I realised I couldn’t really be fucked with these films and stopped watching them. I have heard the one with the big brother from Goonies is good, but the FOMO hasn’t got the better of me yet. Still, I wouldn’t go around telling people their fun is wrong. Like, I enjoy the Fast and Furious Universe, or the Double Eff U, if you will.

TLDR: I’m the best at watching movies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10