Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Wait - Etrigan is an anagram of "granite"?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Trout on 02 May, 2020, 11:58:08 PM
Tangier, you tearing ingrate!
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Quote from: I, Cosh on 03 May, 2020, 12:16:53 PM
Quote from: Trout on 02 May, 2020, 11:58:08 PM
Tangier, you tearing ingrate!

Ha! Missed this first time - well played sir, well played.

BPP

Ace Trucking Co was the name of a prominent US 1970s improv comedy group.

Courtesy of the WTF podcast interview of Fred Willard
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Jacqusie

For years I have been wondering what in Absalom 'the Mills' were as we lead up to the final story and why they were named thus, rather fascinated by it all (a truly great story all round)

Ironically I have been storing some of these progs next to the mighty tome of William Blake poetry...

"And was Jerusalem builded here, Among these dark Satanic Mills?" - Jerusalem

Even singing this at the Cricket before the start of play.

The penny has finally dropped... Apologies to Gordon Rennie and of course Mr Blake...   :)

Magnetica

Noam Chimpsky - Noam Chomsky.

Actually I had never heard of him and was just listening to a song by one of my favourite bands and they use his name in the lyrics.

CalHab

There was a famous chimpanzee subject of a study called Noam or Nim Chimpsky. The documentary film Project Nim covers his life. It makes very heavy viewing, as I remember.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1814836/

TordelBack

The latter also named after the former, of course.

JOE SOAP

Both Noam and Nim feature in the film of Manufacturing Consent.

https://youtu.be/EuwmWnphqII?t=461

JayzusB.Christ

I'm in the middle of Eamonn's latest podcast about Nemesis, featuring Sheridan, and something has just struck me:  The Time Wastes.  Blindingly obvious to most of you, no doubt, but I've just this minute noticed the Millsian double meaning.   
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 June, 2020, 05:53:35 PM
I'm in the middle of Eamonn's latest podcast about Nemesis, featuring Sheridan, and something has just struck me:  The Time Wastes.  Blindingly obvious to most of you, no doubt, but I've just this minute noticed the Millsian double meaning.   

Good catch!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Not at all "a thing that went over my head", more of a "that's interesting, I'd not noticed that before". But we don't have a thread for that.

'Sunburn'- a Future Shock by Alan Moore and Jesus Rwdondo, from prog 282 (September 1982) has a protagonist named Rorschach- four years before Watchmen.

Are there perhaps any other preferred names used by famous and currently highly-regarded 2000AD writers, in much the same way that tv comedy writer and creator of the daleks Terry Nation couldnt write a shopping list without putting "Tarrant" in there somewhere?

SBT

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 24 June, 2020, 02:56:12 PM
Not at all "a thing that went over my head", more of a "that's interesting, I'd not noticed that before". But we don't have a thread for that.

'Sunburn'- a Future Shock by Alan Moore and Jesus Rwdondo, from prog 282 (September 1982) has a protagonist named Rorschach- four years before Watchmen.

Are there perhaps any other preferred names used by famous and currently highly-regarded 2000AD writers, in much the same way that tv comedy writer and creator of the daleks Terry Nation couldnt write a shopping list without putting "Tarrant" in there somewhere?

SBT

There was a Judge Custer in an old Garth Ennis Dredd, possibly that grudawful one about the Irish gang who fled to MC1.  On a different note, he also had a Judge Gaylord, reflecting the younger Garth's methinks-he-doth-protest-too-much obsession with jokes about homosexuality.

John Smith reuses names too, there's been a couple of Laarsens and even a different kind of Leatherjack in Devlin Waugh. There were two different Lokkk'hs in two different stories.

There was a Lisa Marsh in an old Dave Stone Dredd text story before she became a regular character in Armitage : definitely a different person though; the first one was black.

TordelBack

Dandontdare's Bolland Dredd t-shirt went over his head, but not much further.