Main Menu

Mega City Book Club - a new podcast about 2000AD books

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 May, 2016, 08:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

The film club moves to the Betsey Trotwood pub as Alex Frith and Conrad Leiden join me to discuss two 2000AD adjacent movies. Get in touch if you have any film suggestions for us, or if you would like to take part in one of our film clubs.

Listen in your podcatcher or at
https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2023/01/212-hell-drivers-and-damnation-alley.html

JohnW

That was fun.
Coincidentally, I happened to watch Hell Drivers not so very long ago, so it was nice to listen to the affectionate appreciation here.
I read Damnation Alley when I was a kid, and while I don't remember anything about it except the name, the lads' treatment of it convinced me that missing the film was no loss.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

GoGilesGo

I enjoy the fact that in Late Spring / Summer of 1977, 20th Century Fox had two Sci Fi Movies on its release schedule: Damnation Alley and a mid budget space opera by the guy that directed American Graffiti.

As Alex says, from an executive POV Damnation Alley looked like the better bet, the one that would bring in more revenue, but that movie's production hit a few hurdles and its promotional budget was shifted to Star Wars.

I suspect quality would always win out eventually but Star Wars could very well have been dead on arrival if the studio's promo spend had been wasted on giant cockroaches.

Colin YNWA

Listening to this reminded me that I'd not got around to watching 'Hell Drivers' and so looked it up on YouTube and there the whole thing was and last night watched it.

It was refreshing to watch a film from this era, the pacing, scale and action felt of its time, yet of my childhood too, when films like this would have been a staple. The cast is incredible, if not all on their best performances, Herbot Lom was a little disappointing, though Patrick McGoohan is an absolutely delicious villian and Stanley Baxter cuts a fine stoic jib.

Overall its incredinbly well done, the action is curiously thrilling and for a film about shipping gravel strangely entertaining.

As said in the podcast it little more than a curio in terms of its influence on 2000ad. Stanley Baxter's character bares little resembance to Bill Savage outside the physical BUT its a curio I throughly enjoyed watching so thank you for the heads up.

I'm tempted to watch Damnation Alley again, now after many years.... my memories of it though make me thing I might not actually bother!

Eamonn Clarke

Bill Savage and Stanley Baker in Hell Drivers.
Glad to see that this episode of the film club has generated so much interest.
Thanks, guys.

AlexF

Leviathan is so great. I know it's not his fiorst work but it's when I properly sat up and noticed D'Israeli, and delighted in his ability to draw ALL the windows and pipes and whatnot.

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 January, 2023, 08:29:42 AM
It was refreshing to watch a film from this era, the pacing, scale and action felt of its time, yet of my childhood too, when films like this would have been a staple. The cast is incredible, if not all on their best performances, Herbot Lom was a little disappointing, though Patrick McGoohan is an absolutely delicious villian and Stanley Baxter cuts a fine stoic jib.

I've only seen it once - some time in the 1990s - and only remember Connery being in it.  Pretty sure I should have noticed McGoohan appearing, but nope.

QuoteAs said in the podcast it little more than a curio in terms of its influence on 2000ad. Stanley Baxter's character bares little resembance to Bill Savage outside the physical BUT its a curio I throughly enjoyed watching so thank you for the heads up.

Well, visual and being a truck driver.  It's a little-known fact but Savage was a truck driver before the invasion (Bill doesn't like to mention it.  Every few episodes).

Eamonn Clarke

Chris Hunneysett takes me through the second volume of Dan Dare's adventures in the prog, and talks about the wonderful artwork by Dave Gibbons.
Follow Chris's new game Nemo's Fury on his website.

https://megacitybookclub.blogspot.com/2023/02/214-dan-dare-vol-2.html

Eamonn Clarke

and a collection of covers and internal grail pages chosen by Peter.
Artists: Paul Neary, Alan Davis and Frank Miller.

Colin YNWA

Just listening to this and not got to the Grail Page conversation yet, but image it goes like this:

QuoteEamonn: So Grail pages, which would you choose
Peter: Fuck me any of those Davis Capt. Britains and Frank Miller DDs would be absolutely INCREDIBLE to own
Eamonn: Not fuckin' wrong there some of the best comic art of that era, indeed, ever

Summit like that anyway!

Having said that REALLY strong choices. I'm tempted to try this for myself, just for the fun challenge of it!