Main Menu

Bolt-01 Cup - Best Strontium Dog - Qualifying Annuals and Specials

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 July, 2021, 06:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Bolt-01 Cup - Best Strontium Dog - Qualifying Annuals and Specials

Going to ease us in gently with a vote that I think will be straightforward for most... I mean it will won't it... when you think of Strontium Dog stories that appeared in Annuals and Specials one springs immediately to mind... right... I'm not wrong am I... well nows the time to find out as we run our first of the 'All-in' Qualifying Groups.

You, the voter, YES YOU have 5 votes each to distribute how you want to the stories below. So you can give all 5 votes to one story, 4 to one and 1 to another. Or one point to five stories. Any combination of whole numbers you like. It's up to you. When your voting just make it clear how many votes you are giving to which story... or my noggin will get confused!

What are the stories, well funny you should ask...

Strontium Dog: Annual 1982 - more info

Incident at the Back o' Beyond - more info

The Beast of Milton Keynes - more info

Fever - more info

Complaint - more info

Incident at the End of the World - more info

Top Dog - more info

Assault on Trigol 3 - more info

The Town that Died of Shame - more info

Incident at the Birth of the Universe - more info

The Sad Case (Prog 2001) - more info

As this is an 'All-in' vote I'm going to let this run all week and I'll close voting early on the morning of Saturday 24th July.

Stories are then ranked in order based on the number of votes they get. It's as simple as that. Story with the most votes enters the final tourney, the runner up goes into a Qualifier we can worry about later!

What on Earth is all this?

Why on Tharg's Earth head are we doing this?

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

Oh and my 'More info' links... well I don't say how much more and they get pretty wonky at times!

Magnetica

Is that all of them? I was under the impression there were more including a Starlord annual one drawn by Brendan McCarthy (Carnival of Fear?). Plus possibly another Starlord annual story.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 July, 2021, 08:52:50 AM
Is that all of them? I was under the impression there were more including a Starlord annual one drawn by Brendan McCarthy (Carnival of Fear?). Plus possibly another Starlord annual story.

Godamnit don't you lot hang onto my every word - when I speak thou shall listen! The Starlord stuff is the Starlord region (and all ready for a couple of weeks time).

Whether this is all ... well I hope so... gulp...

Southstreeter

Well as it's the only one I can remember, I'd better go for

Top Dog

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 July, 2021, 08:54:48 AM

Godamnit don't you lot hang onto my every word - when I speak thou shall listen! The Starlord stuff is the Starlord region (and all ready for a couple of weeks time).

Oh ok, but the reason I asked is the the first story listed is from a Starlord annual.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 July, 2021, 10:58:26 AM

Oh ok, but the reason I asked is the the first story listed is from a Starlord annual.

ARRRRHHH - so it is. That's me being a dumbass and getting things wrong! I'll amend later... SORRY!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 July, 2021, 06:21:23 AM

Colin, you say the Starlord stuff is going to be in a different vote, but this one (The Collector) is from the final Starlord Annual...
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 July, 2021, 11:03:32 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 19 July, 2021, 10:58:26 AM

ARRRRHHH - so it is. That's me being a dumbass and getting things wrong! I'll amend later... SORRY!

And there are other Stront stories in Starlord annuals, which you haven't listed under the Starlord section...

Sorry, I know it's hard to keep track of everything.

Dark Jimbo

Assuming that first story isn't in the running, then...

Well clearly Top Dogs is the, ahem, top dog here, but as I think most votes are going to go the same way - 'Can't remember these, I'll just give 5 for Top Dogs' - I'm not actually going to award it anything.

2 points: The Beast of Milton Keynes - A lovely, sweet little tale that features Billy Glum and the MK ghetto with Carlos on art. A shame it was hidden away in an annual as it's the equal of any 'proper' prog tale and is clearly canon (Johnny and Wulf's first trip to Milton Keynes, following Mutie's Luck).

2 points: The Sad Case - Unbelievably one of only two outings for Kid Knee Sr, this was only the second or third Stront story I ever read, and totally hooked me. Hilarious, too. Forever to be 'The one with the sex doll head.'

1 point: Incident at the End of the World - Totally weird little story, but something about it really appeals. I love Keith Page's freaky troll-things, although (conversely) I think if Carlos had drawn this I think it'd be a lot better regarded.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 19 July, 2021, 11:35:31 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 July, 2021, 06:21:23 AM

Colin, you say the Starlord stuff is going to be in a different vote, but this one (The Collector) is from the final Starlord Annual...

Yeah got it - will edit when I get the chance.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 July, 2021, 11:41:50 AM

And there are other Stront stories in Starlord annuals, which you haven't listed under the Starlord section...

Can you let me know what I've missed???

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 July, 2021, 12:03:34 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 19 July, 2021, 11:41:50 AM

Can you let me know what I've missed???

It's tricky.

The there were Starlord Annuals in 1980, 1981 and 1982.

I only own the 1980 and 1982 ones.

The stories I remember are the one you listed for 1982 annual and the Brendan McCarthy drawn one I mentioned. Apologies but I don't have it to hand so can't confirm what it is called other than my recollection of "Carnival of Fear" but it most be from the 1980 annual I guess.

Barney shows the three Starlord annuals but unless I'm missing it, doesn't seem to list the contents. I assume the 1981 annual has a Stront story but I have no details. I seem to recall they are in the Stront files, but I don't own them.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 July, 2021, 12:16:13 PM
I assume the 1981 annual has a Stront story but I have no details. I seem to recall they are in the Stront files, but I don't own them.

Nothing's been missed, the 1981 Annual just has a Stront text story.
@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

Top Dogs: 1 point
Beast from Milton Keynes: 1 point
Incident at the End of the Universe: 1 point (strong agree about Page's funky art stylings)
Incident at the Birth of the Universe: 1 point (love me some science puns)
The Sad Case: 1 point

Colin YNWA

When I went to Barney (for the Starlord stuff) there was no details of the contents of the Annuals. So the list I used was - if I'mm honest based mainly on what I could see on the wonderful (and sadly departed) Dredd Alert blog and a list I was given here (I think) which included strips call 'Crazy Kulgor' and 'The Collector'. I was working at pace this weekend and had a horrible feeling I'd mess up!

Sorry folks ...