Main Menu

Tribute to Harry Harrison

Started by maryanddavid, 17 August, 2012, 10:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Kelvin Gosnell asked me to post this.

"Very sad to hear of Harry's death. He was a great SF hero of mine when I was a kid and I read everything of his I could get hold of. Thus, when 2000AD was successful, it was a personal aim of mine to get the Stainless Steel Rat into the book. Harry was delighted to go along with us and I had the honour and enjoyment of writing the scripts of Slippery Jim for Carlos to draw. It was the most enjoyable, rewarding task I ever did for the paper. From the posts here, I see that the Rat turned a good few readers on to Harry's work and to science-fiction novels in general which, I must confess, was one of the aims of putting the Rat into 2000AD. So, cheers, Harry. Thanks for all the wonderful stories and particularly for Slippery Jim. It was an honour knowing you - and bloody great fun as well. Kelvin Gosnell"

Bat King

Thanks for bringing this to us Mary and/or David.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Steve Green

Wish we'd had more SSR, it was a great, fun romp.

He'll be missed.

maryanddavid

QuoteWish we'd had more SSR, it was a great, fun romp.

It was a really good fit with 2000ad too, its a pity there was no more. The eagle comics collection, coloured and with new covers by Carlos are a thing of Beauty.

WhitBloke

Won't argue with you there, Sir/stroke/Madam.  They certainly are, and if Carlos Ezquerra's layouts don't compliment the script compliment the story compliment the original author, I don't know what could. 
First thing I ever got mail order from Forbidden Planet was the Eagle Rats... by accident.  I'd ordered the Titan Rogue Trooper album and they came by mistake, so after a quick 'phone call, voila, "Keep them, we'll send your Rogue Trooper tomorrow."
Never gets better than that.  Free Stainless Steel Rats!  Hmm.  Perhaps it was all part of the canny Kelvin Gosnell-Harry Harrison conspiracy to get us all sucked into the wider world of Science Fiction...  Not that it didn't work.  Crafty!
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Steven Sterlacchini

I remember reading the comic book story first and loving it, only to realise I'd already read 'Spaceship Medic' at school.

I went on to read the SSR books. And who can forget - 'Make Room! Make Room!' the basis for 'Soylent Green'.

A legend.

Dandontdare

I just had to get the Stainless Steel Rat omnibus out of the library the other day, and I'm just about to get into the second story. The adaptation was so faithful that I see almost every one of Ezquerra's panels in my head as I'm reading, even though it's something like thirty ( :o - shurely not?) years since I clapped eyes on them.