Main Menu

Prog 2338: The Great Nort Run

Started by IndigoPrime, 26 June, 2023, 04:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

This one? Tried merging the two sides but my phone doesn't recognise it

nxylas

Quote from: norton canes on 29 June, 2023, 03:27:03 PMThis one? Tried merging the two sides but my phone doesn't recognise it

No, mine neither.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Grush

Oh gosh. That's a QR code, well done for spotting it, but it needs all the rounded corners squaring off. Good luck to someone with that!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nxylas

I tried doing it using DALL-E, but just got weird, random images, as usual. And they say AI will take our jobs.

Funt Solo

I'm not 100% on the context here, but I managed to get the QR translated enough to actually be decipherable, but the resulting message is rather obscure (perhaps all the more so because I haven't read the strip yet).

It's Biblical...

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Yes its rather biblical or doomsday but anyway thanks for the translation Funt
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 29 June, 2023, 10:13:09 PMI managed to get the QR translated enough to actually be decipherable

Nice work! How did you manage that?

Barrington Boots

I thought Rogue was brilliant this week. Exciting and sobering all at once. I didn't like Rogue's 'whore' line either, it seeemed out of place, but I don't feel strongly about it. Fantastic stuff though.
Azimuth is also brilliant, not been so excited about a strip for a while!
I agree with everyones comments on Durham Red, and I did like the line where it's pointed out that her killing bad guys isn't cool or sexy but brutal and disgusting. I was confused when the villain was all like "one day you won't be able to resist and you'll be the monster!" though when we've already explicitly seen her be the monster? Unless there's a longer term bait and switch going on and Red didn't murder a load of innocents, I'm still checked out on this.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

nxylas

Well done, Funt. A rather apocalyptic message, as you say. I was worried that they were just going to Rickroll us.

norton canes

Quote from: nxylas on 30 June, 2023, 12:26:35 PMI was worried that they were just going to Rickroll us

That would have been absolutely fantastic :)

Dash Decent

Even better if they Rickrandom-ed us.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Funt Solo

Quote from: norton canes on 30 June, 2023, 11:18:28 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 29 June, 2023, 10:13:09 PMI managed to get the QR translated enough to actually be decipherable

Laboriously, manually. I tried some online solutions, but that didn't work. So, this is the starting point (which has been turned into a square, because the comic version wasn't square enough):

The next step was to get rid of the thick black outlines, which are just getting in the way of the visible data. For this, Paint.net's recolor tool did the trick - giant brush, adjusted tolerance. Result:

Now, we have to realize that all the dots and squiggles are just boxes or gaps. I created a new layer and drew a little box on that plus sign pattern in the mid-left (above the sort-of swastika shape). Once I'd figured out the correct size of little box to cover up those four dots, it was just a case of slightly adjusting the dimensions of the bottom layer to line everything up, then a lot of copy-pasta of the little black box. It's 7*7 pixels, btw. This is the QR layer partly transparent on top of the previous image:

Ditch the base layer and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover:

It's an hour of my life I'll never get back, Dabnett and Bettin - you beautiful maniacs!

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Thanks Funt it was only 5 seconds of my life to QR scan it
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 30 June, 2023, 03:45:00 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 30 June, 2023, 11:18:28 AM

Laboriously, manually. I tried some online solutions, but that didn't work. So, this is the starting point (which has been turned into a square, because the comic version wasn't square enough):

The next step was to get rid of the thick black outlines, which are just getting in the way of the visible data. For this, Paint.net's recolor tool did the trick - giant brush, adjusted tolerance. Result:

Now, we have to realize that all the dots and squiggles are just boxes or gaps. I created a new layer and drew a little box on that plus sign pattern in the mid-left (above the sort-of swastika shape). Once I'd figured out the correct size of little box to cover up those four dots, it was just a case of slightly adjusting the dimensions of the bottom layer to line everything up, then a lot of copy-pasta of the little black box. It's 7*7 pixels, btw. This is the QR layer partly transparent on top of the previous image:

Ditch the base layer and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover:

It's an hour of my life I'll never get back, Dabnett and Bettin - you beautiful maniacs!

A positive triumph, Funt. I was thinking of doing it by overlaying a grid, but I couldn't work out one square's worth.