Main Menu

Prog 2342 - Urban Renewal!

Started by Barrington Boots, 22 July, 2023, 01:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 July, 2023, 11:07:20 AM
Quote from: Bad City Blue on 27 July, 2023, 10:42:51 AMLove Foster's art, even if "Ken" doesn't like him.

Not sure where you're getting that from...? I don't do Twitter much these days, but that's the only place Ken has a social media presence and I haven't seen any griping about Tom on there...
Ah sorry, my mistake, it was Leonardo Manco he shat on
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

nxylas

And even there, it's not that he "doesn't like him" so much as he found working with him to be a frustrating experience.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Leigh S

That cover has me jonesing for Tazio Bettin Nikolai Dante

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: nxylas on 27 July, 2023, 06:15:47 PMAnd even there, it's not that he "doesn't like him" so much as he found working with him to be a frustrating experience.

To be fair, if I was watching a series I'd written get whole episodes removed just in hope of getting the artist to finish it before the heat death of the universe (while the artist in question is gaily posting images of all the commissions he's been doing), I might get a little salty about it, too!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

nxylas

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 July, 2023, 07:54:20 PMTo be fair, if I was watching a series I'd written get whole episodes removed just in hope of getting the artist to finish it before the heat death of the universe (while the artist in question is gaily posting images of all the commissions he's been doing), I might get a little salty about it, too!
And sending him images of his redesigns of the Lawmaster, when Dredd wasn't even shown riding it in the original script.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: nxylas on 27 July, 2023, 08:07:11 PMAnd sending him images of his redesigns of the Lawmaster, when Dredd wasn't even shown riding it in the original script.

True story: when I quit my job and went 100% freelance, a big part of the calculation about whether it was financially viable hinged on a 150+ page OGN that I'd signed a contract for. The artist was then over six months late delivering the pages... while I watched him post his Farmville scores on Facebook. I was a little salty about that, if I'm honest. :)

nxylas

Si Spurrier recently tweeted out something blasting writers and artists who laugh and joke about having a relaxed attitude to deadlines, though I don't know if it was aimed at any specific individual.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: nxylas on 27 July, 2023, 09:02:14 PMSi Spurrier recently tweeted out something blasting writers and artists who laugh and joke about having a relaxed attitude to deadlines, though I don't know if it was aimed at any specific individual.

Can't enlighten on that, other than to say that I do a bunch of non-Big-Two Spurrier books and they all come in on schedule.

JayzusB.Christ

The Dredd is a decent bit of Niemand - MC1 has felt just a tiny bit boring in recent years, and things like the corpse in the car and a place called Salmonella goes some way towards reintroducing the huge-scale, technicolour craziness that used to permeate the city.  Even the old black and white Dredds somehow felt more colourful than some of the small-scale crime dramas that happen so often these days, but Ken Niemand has his finger on the pulse of the type of Mega City I like.

Azimuth - well, it looks lovely, and I quite enjoyed it.  As I've said elsewhere, SinDex started as a kind of full-on barrage of fun and violence in the DR and Quinch tradition, and I kind of preferred that to the long, meandering dramas.  I never really saw them as characters needing much in the way of character development, in the same way that Middenface McNulty and Ro-Jaws don't need to grow too mature, thoughtful and brooding. But this seems a bit more interesting than most of their tales of recent years and I do want to see how it plays out.

The only other one I've read so far is Hershey.  The art is, of course, excellent, and the story is OK. However, I just can't get past the fact that her death was one of the most powerful scenes I've ever read in Dredd, and like other Colin McNeil death scenes before it was squandered for a story that isn't particularly consequential for Dredd and his world.  Sorry.  Maybe it's just me getting old and grouchy.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Niemand has a good handle on 'retro' when it comes to Dredd, picking and choosing the best bits and merging them with modern sensibilities. I know there has been criticism of his dialogue, which for Dredd could perhaps sometimes be more terse. But for me, his Dredds remain the closest in feel to Wagner scripts.

Hershey: I do understand people's upset with this strip's existence. But I must say it's also refreshing to have a middle-aged woman in comics who looks like a middle-aged woman and who is kicking arse. And, hey, at least it's better than the Angel Gang being resurrected.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 28 July, 2023, 12:13:05 PMHershey: I do understand people's upset with this strip's existence. But I must say it's also refreshing to have a middle-aged woman in comics who looks like a middle-aged woman and who is kicking arse. And, hey, at least it's better than the Angel Gang being resurrected.

All true, of course.  Just wish it had been a different middle aged woman, not the one whose death was, in my opinion at least, one of the all-time great Dredd moments.  I don't know - deMarco, maybe?  Perrier, or is she dead?  Janus?  Well, maybe not that last one, but all must be in their 50s by now.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 July, 2023, 01:03:47 PMAll true, of course.  Just wish it had been a different middle aged woman, not the one whose death was, in my opinion at least, one of the all-time great Dredd moments.  I don't know - deMarco, maybe?  Perrier, or is she dead?  Janus?  Well, maybe not that last one, but all must be in their 50s by now.
Or just stop drawing Anderson as Psi-Judge Barbie.