Main Menu

2000AD SCI-FI SPECIAL 2020

Started by SmallBlueThing(Reborn), 19 June, 2020, 10:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I dont think it's actually on sale til Wednesday. I was floored when it dropped through the door. Would imagine the digital version will be available then.

SBT

Daveycandlish

Quite possibly the best description of Dredd ever on page three of that first strip! 😆😆
Worth buying just for that.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

BPP

Maybe the collapse of American comics will lure Al back to Dredd for a while, because that was fantastic.

And the Red Seas was lovely, Yeowell's Classic pensmanship always a joy and the effects-bubbles only page a pure comics thrill - kudos to Jim if he was involved in that. Just great.

Thanks Cyber-Matt, you're a man of fine taste.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Citi-Def_Joe

I loved the whole thing, a perfect special

IndigoPrime

Finally read beyond Kingsley's interview (while catching up with a month of 2000AD).

I'll be honest about this: I had no idea it contained reprint before the issue landed, and so I was initially a bit miffed. But on reading it, the mix of old and new really worked. The only one that didn't really click was Nikolai Dante (a massive spoiler for those who haven't read it; robbed of its impact out of context for me). But the other strips were excellent selections.

Dredd/Zombo was great—really funny, and some knowing nods to plot-threads dangling. Kingdom was superb. Red Seas was fun. I'm no fan of Storm Warning/Blackhawk, but that landed well also for me. Stock's best-of was pretty solid. I don't agree with all of it (I don't imagine any reader would go 20 for 20), but he hit many of the right notes there. (Niemand‏ deserved a mention in the list of Dredd writers, mind.)

I don't think there was anything I didn't enjoy in this one, probably making it my favourite of all the specials I've so far read from this year and last.

Richard S.

Just started reading it last night - the Dredd story is laugh out loud funny and I don't think I've ever laughed at a Dredd strip before.

Loving the mash-ups in the strips - a fun idea

And there's a Dan Cornwell piece in there too! (I've updated my guide to Dan's 2000AD work here - https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/2020/06/updated-dan-cornwells-work-for-2000ad_23.html

So, yeah, all in all, really good and much better than I thought it would be based on the idea of <yawn> celebrating 20 years on ownership by Rebellion
For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at
https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/

Follow me on twitter @richardandsheaf

norton canes

Ha! I knew it would be back! I knew it!!

This hasn't dropped on my doorment yet so I'm meticulously avoiding spoilers.

Richard

broodblik

Bought the special but the digital version is not available for download, hopefully will become available during the day.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Pyroxian

Quote from: broodblik on 24 June, 2020, 04:46:41 AM
Bought the special but the digital version is not available for download, hopefully will become available during the day.

Seems to be working now - I had a brief read of the first few stories at lunch.

broodblik

Got it downloaded and I enjoyed the special especially the Kingdom and Red Sea strips.  The Terror Tale from Al Ewing I never read so that was nice as well.

SpaceSpinner2000

I will now be disappointed if Shako does not appear in a Rebellion special. PUT SHAKO IN TAMMY & JINTY YOU COWARDS :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

broodblik

Shako in Tammy & Jinty will volt that right on top of the best specials ever !!!!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 25 June, 2020, 03:23:33 AM
I will now be disappointed if Shako does not appear in a Rebellion special. PUT SHAKO IN TAMMY & JINTY YOU COWARDS :D

Oh my giddy aunt yes that would be absolutely fantastic.