Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD: IDW #1

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 21 November, 2012, 03:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

Asked FB if they had any of the variants but they went straight away, which I kinda guessed would happen anyway.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Link Prime

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 04 December, 2012, 11:44:26 AM
Ah. It never occurred to me to just go up to FP... I ordered mine online at Disposable Heroes which I won't be doing again. Never got it and never received a reply as to why!

If you're going the online route, I'd really, really recommend Midtown Comics.
Works out cheaper than buying from a store in most cases, even taking into account postage from the US. I've been a loyal customer for years- they've never let me down, and their customer service is second to none.

Keef Monkey

They were on the 2000AD shelf when I popped in to the Glasgow FP.

SuperSurfer

FB London had quite few variant covers: Ezquerra, Milgrom, the kicking door down one.

I went for the standard cover (A?) as I really like it. While Carlos is a man-god, I couldn't justify £5.99 (if I recall correctly) on a standard comic just for the cover.

Overall I think the IDW Dredd is a good neat little package. Very well produced. I liked the art of lead story and am not too fussed about the look of Dredd in the back up strip. I do wonder if that was a conscious choice to use the 95 film version of uniform to appeal to readers who only know Dredd from that film. Which I think has already been mentioned here. Gulacy has in the past produced some of the most amazing comic art ever – check out his Master of Kung Fu.

I read the comic conscious of the fact that I am not the target audience. Let's hope it does well and draws new readers in.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 04 December, 2012, 12:48:36 PM
They were on the 2000AD shelf when I popped in to the Glasgow FP.

must just be the Edinbra stackers have missed that street-team operchancity
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

If I recall correctly the Manchester branch had them stacked next to the prog and meg. Though I may be mistaken.

Keef Monkey

I guess the other cool thing about this is that people who do enjoy it will then move onto picking up collections, so they'll be turned onto the prog in one way or another!

Spikes

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 04 December, 2012, 02:17:06 PM
I couldn't justify £5.99 (if I recall correctly) on a standard comic just for the cover. 

£5.99? If only..  :(

P-BOT/1138

QuoteThe Shop Variant from Jetpack Comics, which has the black and white DREDDABILIA cover also has a different back to it!

the larrys comic variant also has a differant back cover.
its got the judge dredd logo  and has a blank/white back cover.
also, the card stock used is not the usual thick shiny card. just thick card.

P-BOT/1138

QuoteI couldn't justify £5.99 (if I recall correctly) on a standard comic just for the cover.

£5.99 ???
looks like i'm gonna half to pay quadruple that at my local comic book shop. :'( :'(

Spikes

Aye, and a quick check to see whats what shows it hovering around the £20 mark on E-bay.  :-\

COMMANDO FORCES

That Larrys one is definately up for a sketch being drawn on it, as you say the cover ain't shiny. Pity about the two heads getting in the way and from looking at the numbers, that one is a run of 250.

The question is, do I need to get another one, or two to keep one pristine and get sketches on the others!

COMMANDO FORCES

Just seen the news. I helped make this issue smash its way into the top 100. Thank you everyone ;)

Colin YNWA

Well not just get into the top 100 but smacked it home. Its in at 69 (Units) and 56 ($). The only indie comics that beat it are Saga, Walking Dead, Masks and the implausibly popular My Little Pony (last two also first issues). In a month when Marvel started their fight back against DC that's pretty impressive to say the least.

Also worth bearing in mind that the North American market (US and Canada I think) so you'd think it'd do proportionally better than most titles in the UK too (said to be about 10% typically).

The trick is now how it keeps its numbers but that's as good a start as could have been hoped for I'd say.