Main Menu

Dave Sim does Dredd

Started by Colin YNWA, 04 December, 2012, 07:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I know, I know JD Year One has its own thread BUT BUT BUT this got me giddy with excitment. Dave Sim has done a cover for the series. I NEVER thought I'd see this and no doubt will never own the thing as it'll be a one in gazillion variant BUT how cool (and weird) is this!

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/12/dave-sim-covers-judge-dredd-year-one/

P-BOT/1138

are the sims' and staples' covers the variants?
cause if they are. how awesome will the retail cover be?

JOE SOAP

I know Dredd has yet to receive 21 kisses in this comic but did Sim really need to give him acne?

Frank

As noted on that thread about Joe winching a guy with a green mohawk, Dredd's all about 1977 for American artists. They're not so literal they don't realise Dredd uses the epithet Punk in the same way as Clint or Officer Krupke, are they?

JOE SOAP

Frank

Remembering Molch-R's remark that those sites consider six comments as sufficient proof of interest in a story to warrant running more features on a title, please try your best to match the dizzying levels of insight and erudition displayed by my own contribution at the bottom of that page:

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/12/dave-sim-covers-judge-dredd-year-one/

Spikes

Quote from: P-BOT/1138 on 04 December, 2012, 07:46:30 PM
are the sims' and staples' covers the variants?

There's a Carlos Ezquerra variant in the offing as well.

P-BOT/1138

Quoteare the sims' and staples' covers the variants?

There's a Carlos Ezquerra variant in the offing as well.

wahey!!!!!!!
thats what we what. more f***in' variants.
ive already got 10 of issue bloody 1!

Spikes

Quote from: P-BOT/1138 on 05 December, 2012, 01:19:32 AM
ive already got 10 of issue bloody 1!

Slack work! Any self respecting Squaxx would have bought at least twenty variants by now.

This message was brought to you by Judge Burdis  ;)

COMMANDO FORCES

Let's just hope there are only a few variants of this issue one, instead of the 25 for the IDW opener of the Dredd title, which I'm doing better than I expected collecting :crazy:

SuperSurfer

I would guess that in order to sell well, Dredd in Dredd Year One will most likely look like Dredd of today. But my nerdness would've loved him to look like he really did in year one ie original Ezquerra version.

I only recall one Ron Smith flashback scene where Dredd was drawn with that look. Was a great touch.

Anyway, look forward to this, whatever.

Frank

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 05 December, 2012, 08:30:22 PM
I would guess that in order to sell well, Dredd in Dredd Year One will most likely look like Dredd of today. But my nerdness would've loved him to look like he really did in year one ie original Ezquerra version. I only recall one Ron Smith flashback scene where Dredd was drawn with that look. Was a great touch.

Fraser and MacNeil did the rounded eye-slits/helmet and zoomorphic eagle in Blood Cadets and Blood and Duty . I'm going to go for full pain-in-the-arse status by pointing out that Carlos Ezquerra (prog 5) and Mick McMahon (prog 2) were drawing Dredd: Year Twenty, rather than Year One. I can't recall the Ron Smith flashback sequence you reference, so if you or anyone else can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

SmallBlueThing

Well, Mr Coleby told me on Monday night that he was drawing it as we spoke. Personally i like surprises, and wouldnt event think of asking him leading questions about any of it to get some inside info, as such a thing would be disrespectful i feel- let the man get get on with the job, i say.

That said, i did slap him on the shoulder to congratulate him on a job well done, at the same time placing a tiny camera there which has been and will be sending me live footage of his drawing process throughout the project.

SBT

Note: a lie. We were talking online.

P-BOT/1138

Quoteive already got 10 of issue bloody 1!

Slack work! Any self respecting Squaxx would have bought at least twenty variants by now.

This message was brought to you by Judge Burdis 

decided not to get all the 'kick the door in' variants.
was going to. but didn't see the point. iv'e got one. that'll do me.
but,a sims staples and ezquerra cover practically sell themselves, really.

Andy Smart

If you read the text bit in that link it mentions Staples doing the regular covers which means we've got more to look forward to.

I like Sim's exploding logo. More logos should explode in my opinion. The one thing I'm wondering is how much that cover reflects the story. Does the punk chap actually appear and what role does St Barton's Home for Wayward Spugs play?

Also, Coleby on art? Triple-yes!