Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milstar

Risky Business

Supposedly the breakthrough of Tom Cruise. I remember disliking this when I was a kid (13, 14 perhaps) and stopping the middle way thru for some reason. Although my view on the film is now improved (but I still find some flaws). I like the vibrancy, the mashing up of initially unrelated themes; capitalism, materialism, coming of age, and loss of virginity. Tom Cruise is a teenager, horny and occupied by the thoughts of future. When his parents leave him for a few days, he decided to have fun, drinking and having sex (I love here how the camera pans from Tom's character screwing to his pictures from childhood. Classy). I do not know how much plausible hooker party is, but it mashed all the said themes into one.
The music by Tangerine Dream (which I listen to every now and then) is okay, but definitely not one of their best works (the addition of In the Air Tonight might seem unnecessary, but I love that song anyway). The direction is the biggest issue for me. Unclear and stiff. And acting by most is rather high-strung, as if everyone is stressful, which affects some delivery lines (which may be realistic as these kids are at the crossroad of their lives), but it doesn't seem natural and relaxed to me. I'd single John Pantoliano though. He steals the scene every time he's in it. Too bad he appears seldom in the film.
Either way, quite solid, and in a way, entertaining early 1980s film.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Richmond Clements

I am currently watching a movie on Prime. It is called Legendary, and stars Scott Adkins and Dolph Lundgren as rival cryptozoologists hunting a giant lizard in China. This is a real thing that exists. 

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 12 November, 2021, 04:56:33 PM
I am currently watching a movie on Prime. It is called Legendary, and stars Scott Adkins and Dolph Lundgren as rival cryptozoologists hunting a giant lizard in China. This is a real thing that exists.

I am so going to watch this.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 November, 2021, 05:33:11 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 12 November, 2021, 04:56:33 PM
This is a real thing that exists.

What, the giant lizard...?

*Obligatory joke comparing Lundgren and Adkins' acting ability to a CGI lizard.*

The Enigmatic Dr X

JUNGLE CRUISE

One part Indiana Jones, one part Pirates of the Carribbean, one part modern sassy female lead. Mixed perfectly.

A negroni movie. You know what you're getting every time, it's hard to get wrong, and you either like it or you don't (and if you don't, then don't order it)
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 November, 2021, 10:33:42 PM
A negroni movie. You know what you're getting every time, it's hard to get wrong, and you either like it or you don't (and if you don't, then don't order it)

Thought I'd like this, but it's so aggressively algorithmic that I just bounced right off it. It just feels like someone fed the question "What do we have to do to recreate the success of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie?" into an AI, and this screenplay is the result.

I mean, Johnson and Blunt are very engaging — it's not unwatchable, but it's very, very mechanical.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Fracture (2007). It's free on that there YooToob.

This like a cross between an episode of Columbo and a courtroom drama, but as it stars Anthony Hopkins, Ryan Gosling and Rosamund Pike, it works surprisingly well.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

milstar

Lara Croft Tomb Raider

I guess the Tomb Raider franchise hasn't yet found breakthrough success in feature film adaptions. This TR is perhaps the best and the fairest to video games (that is, until the 2013 reboot). Which, doesn't say much about it. Angelina makes formidable Lara and her accent is at least half better than most American actors doing British, but the plot heavily breaks apart in the second half it nearly ruins this fittingly campy late90s/early 00s romp. Daniel Crag's part is useless and I'd understand if he is solely in the film based on his Bond fame. Then again, I noticed that in TR films, male counterparts are significantly under portrayed or made of cardboard. The moral of the story - play video games.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: milstar on 14 November, 2021, 01:52:36 PM
Lara Croft Tomb Raider

Daniel Crag's part is useless and I'd understand if he is solely in the film based on his Bond fame.

Five years before he was Bond? 🤔
@jamesfeistdraws

Tiplodocus

Unlikely unless Craig had a time machine.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

milstar

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 14 November, 2021, 04:26:21 PM
Unlikely unless Craig had a time machine.

Maybe we do live in Tomb Raider's world.

repoman

I watched some things.

You Were Never Really Here

For a relatively short film, there's a lot of unnecessary filler but it was pretty good.  Joaquin Phoenix was decent in it.  Reminded me of the early '80s film The Exterminator but with a less methodical main character.

No Time To Die

Visually stunning, some lovely action set-pieces and I do like Daniel Craig's Bond a lot.  I liked the film overall but I had a few problems with it.  The fact that it expects you to just remember everything from the previous films.  I can barely tell any Bond film apart so I ended up having to stop the film and read through the plot of Spectre just to get to grips with this one.

Obviously, it's far too long.  The ideal length for a film is 80 minutes.  Anything over that is just padding so this one being almost three hours long was a struggle (literally, my eyes started to dry up towards the end).

My favourite thing about the film was watching Rami Malek get out-acted by that toddler in every scene they were in. 

30 Days of Night

I needed a bit of a comfort watch last night.  A dependable horror that I knew wouldn't let me down.  So I rewatched this one yet again.  It's weird that this film got such middling reviews as it's basically the perfect vampire movie.  I think it's absolutely fantastic.  Super evil vampires, the snowy setting.  Exactly how this genre should be done.

It's a shame that the sequel was so dreadful.

Quote from: milstar on 12 November, 2021, 02:43:27 PM
Risky Business

I've not watched that one in a long time but I'll add it to my list.  Tom's obviously weird but he's generally solid in whatever he's in.

Tjm86

Quote from: repoman on 15 November, 2021, 09:22:47 AM

Quote from: milstar on 12 November, 2021, 02:43:27 PM
Risky Business

I've not watched that one in a long time but I'll add it to my list.  Tom's obviously weird but he's generally solid in whatever he's in.

It's a fair point but I don't think it has aged particularly well.  Given a choice I'd go with Cocktail over this.  Then again ... Brian Brown, Elizabeth Shue ... Cruise is more of a bit part player in it to some extent.  Of course if we're going to start talking about Brown we have to mention FX ... with the added bonus of Brian Dennehy ...

repoman

FX is fun.  I've been meaning to watch the sequel for ages now.