Main Menu

Rama-lama-lama fi-fi-fi

Started by O Lucky Stevie!, 06 May, 2011, 08:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

That photo does look oddly suspicious

Giant asteroid to hurtle past Earth

An asteroid with a diameter of 400m will make its closest approach to Earth later this year.

Known as YU55, the asteroid would fly within the moon's orbit narrowly missing Earth, according to reports.

"The space rock will hurtle past our planet at a distance of just 201,700 miles (324,600km) during its closest approach on November 8," The Daily Mail has reported.

"That is closer to Earth than the moon, which orbits 238,857 miles (384,400km) away on average.

"With a width of some 400m and weighing 55 million tons, YU55 will be the largest object to ever approach Earth."

But US space agency NASA said there was no cause for concern.

"Although classified as a potentially hazardous object, 2005 YU55 poses no threat of an Earth collision over at least the next 100 years," NASA said.

"However, this will be the closest approach to date by an object this large that we know about in advance and an event of this type will not happen again until 2028."

NASA spokesman Don Yeomans said YU55's gravitational pull on planet Earth would be immeasurably miniscule.

It would not affect the tides "or anything else", he said.

If YU55 were to hit Earth, it would exert a force the equivalent of 65,000 atomic bombs and leave a crater 10km wide and 610m deep, The Mail said.

"It orbits the sun once every 14 years but will not collide with Earth for at least a century," the report said.

"Scientists around the world have long been discussing ways of deflecting potentially hazardous asteroids to prevent them hitting Earth.

"One of the more popular methods is to detonate a nuclear warhead on an approaching asteroid to deflect it from its orbital path.

"Last year, physicist David Dearborn of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the US argued that nuclear weapons could be the best strategy for avoiding an asteroid impact - especially for large asteroids and with little warning time."
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Dandontdare

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 06 May, 2011, 08:58:04 AM
"It orbits the sun once every 14 years but will not collide with Earth for at least a century," the report said.

So that's alright then ....  :o

Mardroid

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 May, 2011, 12:36:13 PM
Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 06 May, 2011, 08:58:04 AM

So that's alright then ....  :o

Yeah. 100 years actually isn't that long, is it?

Rog69

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 May, 2011, 05:00:13 PMYeah. 100 years actually isn't that long, is it?

I saw some recent statistics that said 1 in 4 under 16's could live to be over 100, that means that my own kids could still be around when it hits :o.

Emperor

Quote from: Rog69 on 06 May, 2011, 05:07:28 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 06 May, 2011, 05:00:13 PMYeah. 100 years actually isn't that long, is it?

I saw some recent statistics that said 1 in 4 under 16's could live to be over 100, that means that my own kids could still be around when it hits :o.

That means there is a bit of incentive for them to pull their fingers out, stop playing computer games and sexting each other, so they can get this problem fixed. The youth of today huh?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

TordelBack

Why should today's taxpayers' money be squandered on researching something that's of no benefit to them?  Let's face it, anyone running for election today will be long dead by the time it's a problem, so we can safely forget about it.  There's a reason no one gives a shite about renewable energy sources.

Jared Katooie

Ha ha! Take that future generations!

Having a 55 million ton rock smashing into the Earth will be just the thing to liven up the boring task of disposing of our generations rubbish and nuclear waste.

Jared Katooie

P.S. If a future historian is reading this in an archive somewhere - resurrect me from the dead. I know where my generation hid all the food and water reserves.

All I ask is that you put me in an indestructible robot body.

With lasers attached.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Rog69 on 06 May, 2011, 05:07:28 PM
That's nothing, I heard that millions now living will never die.
We never really die.

M.I.K.

Try telling that to the asteroid.

Bat King

Quote from: Jared Katooie on 06 May, 2011, 08:59:16 PM
P.S. If a future historian is reading this in an archive somewhere - resurrect me from the dead. I know where my generation hid all the food and water reserves.

All I ask is that you put me in an indestructible robot body.

With lasers attached.

Genius!!!  Why didn't anyone else think of this plan???
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

CrazyFoxMachine

Really disappointed this thread has nothing to do with MC5.

Dandontdare

I've opened it about eight times now because I keep forgetting what it's about.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 May, 2011, 09:02:07 PM
I've opened it about eight times now because I keep forgetting what it's about.

Clear evidence of alien influence.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: The Cosh on 08 May, 2011, 02:58:07 AM
That's nothing, I heard that millions now living will never die.

Yeah, but it's all downhill after the opening track on TNT.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"