Main Menu

Dredd goes Android

Started by Molch-R, 29 February, 2012, 05:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

I should mention that, having tried and enjoyed it for free, I felt it only fair to purchase a few credits by way of a thank-you. I'd urge other Android users to do the same. You do want more Android apps from Rebellion, right?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Mardroid

I'm looking at getting a tablet at some point. (One of the budget android versions, although I wouldn't mind going for an Ipad 3 if I can pick one up cheaply.) I have my eye on the upcoming Amazon Fire HD, or the Google Nexus 7.

While the former is better in terms of storage and speakers, I suspect I'll og with the Nexus 7 as it's pure Android and has a faster processor. (And I'm not fussed about the speakers as I'd primarily use it as an internet and reading device. If I want to listen to music on it, I've got a pair of headphones.) I think both would handle CBZ and PDF files but if your going the app route pure android is better. (Comixology has a Fire App, but I don't think Dark Horse does, and I'd like to get some comics from them in future.)

I also had my eye on the Nood HD+. A budget NINE INCH device! Unfortunately, like Amazon devices, the Android is a back end to their own OS and they have even less comic app capability than the Fire does. Should be okay for Clickwheel Progs though as they take CBZ files and PDFs just fine.

I guess I'd like the best of both worlds.

Kanoobi

I love digital comics now, my best experience is on my main Desktop at 1920*1080 using ComicRack in dual page mode, I still have to zoom in a little with a 'Fit Width' though, as some text can be hard to read. On my bedroom PC at 1024*768 I use a single page at 'Fit Width' too. I would need a screen that is A4 ratio to show a whole page at a time, maybe rotate my widescreen monitor 90 degrees lol.

ComicRack is pretty cool, it has nice page turn and shadow effects. I used CDisplay for ages which although very basic does the job and still have that on my bedroom PC.

Android seems fine for CBR's and CBZ's, and you can always change the extension to RAR and extract the images, bung them in a folder and use a comic app to read them that way. On my Android phone I use an app called  'A Comic Viewer' and it seems to do the job. ComicRack is also available and several others.

I like my Android phone but one day wouldn't mind a tablet to play around with :)

Mardroid