Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Just got to Episode Three of The Old Man. It's your pretty standard ex-CIA-guy-finds-himself-in-deep-sh*t story but well done. And it stars Jeff Goddam Bridges and John Goddam Lithgow, so it's all kinds of cool.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Currently in the early stages of re-watching House.

It's honestly quire remarkable—the plot is essentially identical every single episode but, somehow, Hugh Laurie is mesmerisingly good every single time.

Great TV.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

I feel similarly about Bosch - I don't see how it could work without Titus Welliver doing the grizzle.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hawkmumbler

Was kinda bored the other day and decided to finally give PARKS AND RECS a shot, but switched it off pretty quickly. It suffers from a lot of the same problems most contemporary US comedy has of being at once a shallow attempt at being relatable and teeth achingly saccharine while also just being really, really boring.
One for the 'how did this become some kind of cultural touchstone' cabinet.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 September, 2022, 04:38:53 PM
Was kinda bored the other day and decided to finally give PARKS AND RECS a shot, but switched it off pretty quickly. It suffers from a lot of the same problems most contemporary US comedy has of being at once a shallow attempt at being relatable and teeth achingly saccharine while also just being really, really boring.
One for the 'how did this become some kind of cultural touchstone' cabinet.

I've never sat down for that one, but it looks like it's probably the American Office 2.0, and the American Office is dire - especially when it stretches out beyond the remit of the original.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Hawkmumbler

Glad I'm not alone in disliking US Office. Truly woeful.

The Legendary Shark

The Last days of Ptolemy Grey. Samuel L. Jackson plays an old man with dementia who gets a limited second chance due to an experimental drug and... Well, I had you at Samuel L. Jackson, didn't I?

Also, Severed is quite good. It's about people who agree to have their memories split between work and home. Sounds good, yeah? You walk into work and then seem to walk straight out again with no memory of what you've been doing for the last eight hours. Oh, but consider the other you - the one who leaves work and then seems to go straight back in again with no memory of what happened in between. I fear it's going to go all Lost on me, though. Will give the second series a chance if and when it comes out because I enjoyed this first one.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 September, 2022, 07:33:52 PM

You walk into work and then seem to walk straight out again with no memory of what you've been doing for the last eight hours.

When I consider some of the horrible workplaces I've had to endure over the years, and the absolutely irredeemably evil, rotten-to-the-core, bullying bastards I've had to deal with therein, I have to say, I would take that option in a heartbeat!

Hawkmumbler

Actually watched a good comedy this week, as apparently season 3 of WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS dropped ages ago and no fucker told me. Its still pretty remarkable, with the penultimate episode of the season being probably the most I've laughed at anything in months.
Apparently season 4 just got finished airing in the states, can't wait for that to be uploaded to Iplayer.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 October, 2022, 09:43:14 PM
Apparently season 4 just got finished airing in the states, can't wait for that to be uploaded to Iplayer.

It's very, very good. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 October, 2022, 11:18:29 PM

Indeed it is - the djinn character was great.

Also involving Taika Waititi, Our Flag Means Death isn't half bad, either. It's a comedy about an English gentleman who gives it all up to become a pirate.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 October, 2022, 11:18:29 PM

I thought the 3rd season was rather disappointing as there was a lot of reheating/repetition of gags from 1&2. Fingers crossed for 4 though as I do love this show.

BAT!

Tiplodocus

Back on Sandman after a break and the Diner based episode 24/7. Cracking stuff. I remember first seeing Thewliss in Mike Leigh's NAKED far too long ago and he is just superb in this.  So happy when The Sandman turns up... The whole lies vs. dreams thing gives an uplifting beat in an otherwise depressing view of humanity. And his final act in the episode is also a testament to how Thewliss made an interesting "villain".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

cunk on britain.
it's truly terrifying.
more please!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]