Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Batman- animated just landed on Netflix. 65 episodes of the best Batman franchise.

Loved it back in the day when I was a "big bairn" now I'm an "Auld big bairn" and the first few are still decent for what it is. Let's see what I think when I've binged them in a couple of weeks
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Barrington Boots

Been enjoying Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix. Its enraged tons of gammons / incels as well which has only sweetened it for me.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

pictsy

Okay.  Neon Genesis Evangelion.  I thought the ending was fine.  Stuck to the core themes of the series and resolved them.  There is certainly plenty to appreciate with the series as a whole.  The animation is top tier stuff - it looks great.  It's interesting and ambitious.  Nevertheless, I found it hard work.  I was not entertained for the most part, I didn't connect with the characters and it hasn't left much of an impression on me.  Plus there were certain things that rubbed me up the wrong way.

I can see why it has critical acclaim, I can see why some people might not like the ending, I can see why someone would hate the show in it's entirety.  I'm pretty ambivalent towards it.  I don't regret watching it, but I don't think it's likely I'll give it a second viewing.

I've now started watching Dirty Pair.

Tiplodocus

Love a bit of animation Batman. Possibly the most consistent and entertaining telling of the Batman myth.

Late to the party but really loving GHOSTS  on Player. smartly written, well performed by a great ensemble cast with a good fag rate. Laughs are good, feels almost better
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

rogue69

Toxic Crusaders the animated series on Amazon Prime. Typical late 80's cheesey cartoon series where they take a 18 rated film series, Toxic Avenger, & make a cartoon from it daft fun as the toxic Crusaders try to save Tromville from Dr. Killemoff and his Radiation Rangers from the planet Smogula. something to watch when you want something silly to watch

Hawkmumbler

Adam Curtis' THE TRAP, probably the one documentary of his (besides last years Traumazone) I've only seen the once.

Recently been deep in the study of R.D. Laings bibliography, and the itch occurred to revisit The Trap, much of the first episode of which was committed to Laings radical extra-political, humanist psychoanalytics in the context of mid-late century cultural malaise.
Remains arguably Curtis' most damning work.

Jade Falcon

I picked up a cheap DVD boxset of Poirot in a charity shop.  It's funny how many then up and coming stars you spot in a series like that, so far Peter Capaldi ,Damien Lewis among others.  Some of the earlier stories were a bit short and 'find your feet', but still, its better than most of the newer stuff.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Hawkmumbler

BBCs GHOSTS

Taken a brief distraction from my TNG marathon to watch this delightfully fun sitcom which I got hooked on while staying with my folks over the festive season.
A lot of fun.

pictsy

I watched all of the original Macross and started watching the original Gundam.

I see why Neon Genesis Evangelion exists the way it does a little better (not that I really needed context for those aspects).

I did not like Macross and Gundam.  They are both pretty toxic, frustrating and boring shows.  I gave up on Gundam when it looked like the show was going to be bold and explore the stress and trauma being inflicted on the child soldier main character.  But it didn't.  He gets slapped about by an adult and insulted by a friend and that fixes everything.  The concept of what is 'selfish' that is presented by the show is gross.  It was at that point I realised I was having a very unenjoyable time and I just gave up on it.

Nevertheless, I enjoy other media that has problems.  The kicker is I found them to both be very dull.  The only interesting things happening are the bad things and it just didn't make for a fun time.

It's a shame.  I'm still interested in exploring the franchises but I don't know what point in the series' to move to for something I have a better chance of getting into.  And I'm tired of watching stuff I haven't been enjoying to take the chance on something new again.

But I do like Neon Genesis Evangelion a little more, now.

Link Prime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 November, 2023, 06:21:19 PMI've just spent an hour immersed in the wonderful world of Fargo as Season Five kicks off with a jolly good episode. Just popped in to say that before passing on to the second episode and then a week of champing at the bit.

I want it Now, dammit!

Another success for Hawley + team. Rare to get a 100% hit rate after 5 seasons.

Random thought every time he's on screen: Jon Hamm for Dredd?

Trooper McFad

Started "ECHO" it's more violent than some of the Disney Marvel, a bit more on the level of the Netflix Marvel which I enjoyed more.

I'm my view the saving grace is when Fisk is on screen. Vincent D'Onofrio is a fantastic Fisk and just fills the screen

Overall it fills some down time but won't need to do a rewatch
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

pictsy

I've been watching the X-Files.  I'm into season 3.
It's a real mixed bag and for the most part has aged incredibly badly.
That said I haven't got sick of watching it (yet) and there are a few good episodes sprinkled throughout.

What I find most fun is the over-arching storyline clearly had absolutely no direction or purpose.  I'm not sure if they thought that trying to be enigmatic would provide cover for them just winging it.

Another thing that is interesting is just how little agency the leads have in these stories - particularly the monster-of-the-week episodes.  Things just happen around them and they often don't actually achieve anything.  It was awful in the first season, especially.  They'd show up, Moulder would have all the answers, things happened around them, then they'd leave (Moulder is in arsehole as well).  I think the better episodes are the ones that have them being active and accomplishing things.

If I manage to get to the end of the show I'd probably find it an interesting experience, but not one I'd likely repeat.  I don't have strong nostalgia for the show and it's got a lot of problems I'm not sure I'd be willing to tolerate again.

rogue69

Just started watching Delicious in Dungeon a fun anime about a team of adventurers who to save money decide to eat the monster they kill

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: rogue69 on 06 February, 2024, 10:59:06 AMJust started watching Delicious in Dungeon a fun anime about a team of adventurers who to save money decide to eat the monster they kill

Oh this is delightful! I honestly have little patience for high fantasy as a whole and D&D has never been on my radar, but give me a somewhat-slice-of-life series about four bumkins trying to work out how to find nutrition in living armour and I'm down.