Main Menu

...and she's riding a stairlift to heaven

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 16 March, 2003, 11:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

Gord bless her!

Still, at least STeven Hawking can expect a call.

ADEhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1980/gallery/340/thora.jpg">

Richmond Clements

I read the thread title and thought 'This could only be about 1 person...'
Nice picture

Wils

The news was broken to me in the chat room last night. Apparently, after what i suggested, I'm now definitely going to hell.

judgejampot

You were going to hell anyway, wils ;)

Art

almighty mat

HiEx

Err...for those of us not residing in UK, who the heck is the woman in the photo?

HiEx

almighty mat

Ex-Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

God bless you ma'am.

mathttp://theinternetforum.co.uk/william/images/funeral2.jpg">

Tiplodocus

We wish. I always tell the children that there are no such things as monsters and witches except Maggie.  She is my exception to "reverence for life". She shouldn't have snatched my milk.

(Maybe I should add that there's no such thing as saints and angels except for Thora).

Bless.  
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

DavidXBrunt

HiEx - That's Dame Thora Hird, proffesional actress from the age of 8 weeks, she made a living out of playing bluff Northeners. In the 1950's she made many British films along side people as diverse as Norman Wisdom and Alan Bates.

Lead roles in sit-coms followed, such as 'Meet the Wife' (Thora as nagging wife - with hilarious consequences), 'Hallelujah!' (Thora as Salvation Army captain - with hilarious consequences) and 'In Loving Memory' (Thora as undertaker - with hilarious consequences) established her as a star.

She also won Baftas and Emmys for her work in straight drama, most notably for two of Alan Bennets 'Talking Head' monologues. She also presented the religious programme 'Praise Be' and was a regular on 'Songs of Praise'.

Recent years have seen her advertising stair-lifts and other mobility aids for the elderly and also as one of the regular cast of the long running B.B.C. sit-com 'Last of the SummerWine'.

Her husband, Scotty, died in 1994. She is survived by her daughter, the actress Jeanette Scott.

Smiley

Let's not forget her scene stealing turn as a bag-lady in The Quatermass X-Periment.

"It's me legs!"

Misanthrope

And her cameo in 1978's sex comedy of the yeah. Confessions of a street cleaner. "Oh, can I lick it know sir?"
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

paulvonscott

On a compilation comedy clips show, there has just been a song about Thora Hird called Stairlift to heaven about a fatal stenna stairlift accident.  Hmm... not even a week later, did they know?

esoteric ed

I actually met Thora and her delightful daughter & actress Janette Scott at a Hammer Horror convention at Bray Studios few years back in, both nice ladies.

Edhttp://www.dacre.org/stills/webs/Scof734.jpg">

esoteric ed

(I told them both about my fast typing habits leading to spelling mistakes and errors in forum threads) :-(

Ed