Main Menu

Prog drought!

Started by Leigh S, 11 October, 2020, 03:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I see there is a option for a two year subscription. My subscription is up soon so I will see if I have issues.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Leigh S

Yeah, I noticed that - curious as to who that would appeal to - no saving over the yearly one, but at least you might avoid the annual disruption.

Still don;t get why this is happens to annual subs but not monthly ones - it is surely the same principle of renewing after a certain time period?

Quote from: broodblik on 19 October, 2020, 07:57:58 PM
I see there is a option for a two year subscription. My subscription is up soon so I will see if I have issues.

Bolt-01

Leigh - speaking as a confirmed 'monthly' subber who has been letting that light fingered Betelgeusian into my bank account every month for about 17 years now; I've never been asked to reconfirm my sub.

Leigh S

I was a monthly subber from prog 1246 to October 18 when Tharg lured me to annual with some exclusive gifts, and yeah, no recurring problems - very few missing progs or need to contact subs.

Good news and credit where it is due, Subs have sorted me out today, so I'm hoping that next year with my sub due before the progs run out, I might be in for less problems (unless as I think may be the case I have just pushed them back a few weeks! We shall see - if it is the case it keeps happening, I will revert to monthly

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: 13school on 14 October, 2020, 01:58:16 PM
Quote from: Kaijurand on 13 October, 2020, 09:10:18 PM
Be thankful you don't live in the U.S. Last one I received was #2166.

I'm in Australia and was getting my progs from my LCS - last one here was also #2166.

Callooh callay fractious day!

Diamond have invoiced both the 2000AD Summer SciFi Special 2020 & Meg 418 to my LCS here in South Australia for next week's shipment.

Looks like our wait may be finally over.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

13school

I called my LCS in Melbourne earlier in the week to see if there was any hope and they got back to me to let me know that - supposedly - the monthly prog packs would be resuming from where they left off in a week or so. Good news!

That said, the idea of having five months or so of progs and megazines arriving all at once wasn't particularly appealing from a financial standpoint, but it seems they'll be spaced out to slowly get caught up.

Tomwe

Quote from: 13school on 25 October, 2020, 09:02:24 AM
That said, the idea of having five months or so of progs and megazines arriving all at once wasn't particularly appealing from a financial standpoint, but it seems they'll be spaced out to slowly get caught up.
There was an article about this earlier in the week if that helps

Funt Solo

I know someone up-thread will have mentioned the digital option - cheaper to buy, cheaper to store, lighter to store, never gets damaged, it's never late etc.

(I do appreciate the joy of sitting somewhere relaxing with a physical prog in hand, but that was in the before-time.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 October, 2020, 07:02:40 PM
(I do appreciate the joy of sitting somewhere relaxing with a physical prog in hand, but that was in the before-time.)

It is a very mental shift. It took me awhile to get use to the digital version of publications but now all my comics and books are only digital. Physical copies are always better but the reality is also as things are going now in a few years we might only have digital.

Another great thing about the digital option is it is very easy used as a quick reference.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

I'm 8 months plus into digital only. It's not as pleasant a ritual as a physical read, no question, but I've got used to it and it's almost half the newsagent price and at my fingertips every Wednesday when I wake up. The Prog savings more than cover the Meg, and planning to buy physical collections with the balance is free of double-dipper guilt.

Give it a whirl for a month or two, you can always pick up back progs later (I may).

IndigoPrime

I'm trying to figure out a way forward. As much as I love my complete collection of 2000 AD and the Meg, it's not viable to continue with. It already takes up the entire space under the spare room bed, and I know I won't likely ever read them through again. It'll be a huge wrench to part with them, and I'm not ready yet, but I think that's in my future.

Which leaves two choices: continue to subscribe in print, but then sell on the Progs at the start of every year; go for a digital Prog instead. I'm increasingly tempted by the latter. Rebellion would still get my money, and I'd build a collection of comics on my NAS drive that I could access at any point, with the bonus they wouldn't take up any physical space.

But, as I said, I'm not there yet. (The Rebellion comics are the last survivors for me, since Titan pissed me off too much with Doctor Who comics and Panini canned MWOM.)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 October, 2020, 11:15:57 AM
I'm trying to figure out a way forward. As much as I love my complete collection of 2000 AD and the Meg, it's not viable to continue with. It already takes up the entire space under the spare room bed, and I know I won't likely ever read them through again....

There's ya problem. Plan a re-read. Its a joy. I mean mines going to take the best part of 6 years I reckon by the time I finish. But the good thing about that is once finished I'll be well ready to start again!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 October, 2020, 12:21:45 PMPlan a re-read.
Which would be fine, but... With the 6yo, I currently have maybe two hours tops, per day, of my own time. And along with several thousand 2000 AD comics sitting there, I have a pile of unread books, loads of Marvel Panini reprints in a cupboard, half-finished Pi projects, etc. :/

I mean, it's really first-world problems to be complaining about being rich in geeky projects, and I'm more than aware of that. But it is starting to head into guilt territory. (My wife is very cool about this. She's happy with all the books on or shelves, and says I'll read them eventually when mini-IP is older. But she is starting to nudge a bit about the 2000 ADs...)

Colin YNWA

Hey I got 2 kids, 8 and 11 so I just neglect them - its all a matter of priorities!

IndigoPrime

Ha! I'm reliably informed by other parents that things change pretty quickly from this point on, in terms of time. So we'll see. I'm not going all Marie Kondo, but there is a point where things become a burden rather than something positive, and my Progs are teetering on the brink — although my subscription itself absolutely is not.