Main Menu

Prog 2214 - High Vexplosive!

Started by Southstreeter, 11 January, 2021, 05:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew_J

Potential Cover of the Year for me. I want this on a tee-shirt.

I'm really enjoying this Dredd. Great characters from Carroll as always. I'm really loving Will Simpson's take on this too. Its making great use of his GoT bloody body count experience too.

Finally, something intriguing about Hershey with the flashback to Judge Sam's demise.

Wow, Slaine. I'm loving this! Every page turn brings a bigger smile to my face. The third party reporting-to-your-boss narrative is a great device.

The change of pace of Proteus Vex from complex world building to full throttle action is great. Plus any episode with Midnight Indicating Shame warping out is a thumbs up from me.

Durham Red is ramping up to be a great Assault on Precinct 13. Any suggestions for a John Carpenter soundtrack to go with this? I'm thinking Ghosts of Mars.

Andrew_J

Quote from: Southstreeter on 11 January, 2021, 05:32:57 PM
I always enjoy reading the review threads, but don't often contribute to them.

I can empathise. I've been a lurker for too long. My New Year's resolution is to make more of an effort.

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 January, 2021, 04:36:18 PM
I've considered mentally replacing resurrected Hershey with a resurrected Aimee Nixon with an undercover Hershey face-job, and enjoying the very pretty story on that basis.

Like! Aimee would've been a great candidate for this story.

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 January, 2021, 04:36:18 PM
What does puzzle me a bit is why Sláine seems to be moving from Ballina to Enniscrone on his journey from the Isle of Man to London, but maybe all will be revealed.

He's clearly on his way to Medb's tomb at Knocknarea in Sligo. That's The End.

Norton - I love your alternative cover but Neil's psychedelic original is a home run.

TordelBack

Quote from: Andrew_J on 16 January, 2021, 12:27:27 AM
He's clearly on his way to Medb's tomb at Knocknarea in Sligo. That's The End.

Genius!

sintec

I can empathise. I've been a lurker for too long. My New Year's resolution is to make more of an effort.

Same - and given this is already the 2nd prog of the year I guess I really should start making good on that.

I really want to like Dredd but the art is making it hard to follow who's doing what to who and where. It's a cool set up though and it'll be interesting to see where it goes - there's a few less red shirts to keep track of now too.

Hershey on the other hand looks great but the story isn't really pulling me in.

If this is the final ever Slaine then so far it's shaping up to be an epic exit. Those dragons are absolutely stunning. The story might be slight so far but I'm loving this.

Good to see some action in Proteus Vex after last weeks backstory heavy episode. This is the perfect combo of story and art and probably the overall best strip in the prog right now (imo).

Bringing us to Durham which is another tale that's just not really grabbing me. I can't really pinpoint why though, the art's great, there's plenty of action, cool baddies. All the elements of a great 2000AD story are there, I'm just not feeling it.

JimmyNailz

Just been catching up from Xmas onwards and thoroughly enjoying the current line-up.

Apologies if its been asked on an earlier thread, but is SLAINE's attack on knights and their "code", earlier in the story, a not-so-subtle dig by Uncle Pat on Sir Jason Of Kingsley and his love of shing armour? As everyone seems to agree, that art though!!!

Durham Red is highlight of the current line-up for me. Great job showing why Red is very much an anti-hero (what with her habit of getting a bit "hangry") and setting up an Assault On Precinct 13-esque story.

Quite enjoying Hershey from a "its just the delusions of a dying woman" stand point.

Proteus Vex is an enjoyable Hitcherhikers Guide With Guns.

Dredd is letting the side down a little. Art aside, i prefer Mega City One based Dredd tales.

Solid progging!

TordelBack

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 16 January, 2021, 12:14:34 PM
Apologies if its been asked on an earlier thread, but is SLAINE's attack on knights and their "code", earlier in the story, a not-so-subtle dig by Uncle Pat on Sir Jason Of Kingsley and his love of shing armour?

It's certainly a plausible reading (and definitely amusing, and in keeping with Mills' body of work), but equally it's not like this is the first or even the third time Sláine has had a beef with shiny kerniggits, and those earlier 'attacks' pre-date Rebellion. I choose to enjoy the not-very-subtext. 

On the topic of Sláine, Brutannia ended with the warped one re-naming himself 'Sláine Mac Macha', so I'm a bit puzzled by this week's almost-biblical recitation of patrilineal descent. I do like the idea of his merging his warrior and druidical halves, it's in keeping with his overall journey towards balance, and I hope we get to see him communicate his new understanding to Kai before we're done.

broodblik

Talking about Slaine: I read on Pat's twitter that he and Rebellion have an agreement that no-one except him will write Slaine. So hopefully we get a proper send-off with the current series. So far the art for me has played its part but the script is still a little bit lacking.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jacqusie

So what day does the subscribers copy come out these days?

I know it used to be Saturday and then we had the time lag towards 2-3 days later for a Monday / Tuesday but I'm still awaiting proggy 2214 and can't tell if its a week late or not yet?  :think:

I agree with the comments about the current line up and Slaine, this would indeed be a fine finale, go out with the story all told and some truly superb artwork, rather than years more aimless wandering about. We just need Ukko to make an appearance and they can toddle off into the solstice sunset...

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Jacqusie on 16 January, 2021, 07:44:29 PM
So what day does the subscribers copy come out these days?

I know it used to be Saturday and then we had the time lag towards 2-3 days later for a Monday / Tuesday but I'm still awaiting proggy 2214 and can't tell if its a week late or not yet?  :think:

I agree with the comments about the current line up and Slaine, this would indeed be a fine finale, go out with the story all told and some truly superb artwork, rather than years more aimless wandering about. We just need Ukko to make an appearance and they can toddle off into the solstice sunset...
Never anymore, unfortunately!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Dredd art is terrible. It looks like it's been done in crayon by a 1
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Dunno what happened there. I was going to say...

The Dredd art is terrible. It looks like it was done by a 15 year old art student in my eyes. The Dredd in the opening panel is a good example. It feels blocky and unsuited to a comic strip.

I get this is a style. I get that not everyone will like it, but I fear it looks amateurish and puts off casual readers. I know it isn't. I know Will Simpson is an experienced artist.

So, it's just not for me. It's not helped by an action orientated strip (page three has a Yaaah!, Guk!, Gaah! and Aaah! across it). This, and the art, makes the whole story feel childish to me.
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 19 January, 2021, 03:30:27 PM
Dunno what happened there. I was going to say...

The Dredd art is terrible. It looks like it was done by a 15 year old art student in my eyes. The Dredd in the opening panel is a good example. It feels blocky and unsuited to a comic strip.

Some of the textures look like crayon, but I geuss it's paint. Some panels (eg the second on page 1, with the building in the background) feel rushed and unfinished.

I get this is a style. I get that not everyone will like it, but I fear it looks amateurish and puts off casual readers. I know it isn't. I know Will Simpson is an experienced artist.

So, it's just not for me. It's not helped by an action orientated strip (page three has a Yaaah!, Guk!, Gaah! and Aaah! across it). This, and the art, makes the whole story feel childish to me.
Lock up your spoons!

Sean SD

Quote from: sintec on 16 January, 2021, 10:39:46 AM

Same - and given this is already the 2nd prog of the year I guess I really should start making good on that.

Me too, have enjoyed the art droid tournaments on here and wanted to start 2021 by doing some Prog ratings and contribute  :cool:

So here are my top 3 for Prog 2214

1st - Proteus Vex. Great writing, starting to get this character a bit more now. This ep was well done
2nd - Hershey. Colours, art style
3rd - Slaine. Nice work calling out the bloodline in battle