Main Menu

Don't Panic! 2 days left to vote for Dad's Army

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 25 March, 2004, 11:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Could've saved a lot of time by adding up all the viewing figures for these shows over the years.

DavidXBrunt

True, but that would have led to a distorted result. Something like 'Love your neighbour' will have got twice as many viewers as 'The Office' for instance, but that doesn't make it better.

paulvonscott

This result doesn't tell you what's better either, just which is currently the most popular, or rather, that OFaH has the most viewers who like voting in poll shows.

Adrian Bamforth

The Vicar Of Dibley was in my view potentially a great sitcom in the vein of The Good Life (the rightful second place winner), marred by dumbed-down and predictible jokes. The situation is a great (if inevitable) comedy set-up, the cast are all great and it makes the best of Dawn French. A lot of the stories are good but the writer/s couldn't resist using endless throwaway 'gags' about farmyard sex/celebrities (note to Curtis: great sitcoms don't need gags, just funny situations and characters). In one scene theres a joke about someone having shot themselves during a particularly boring service, and it's never mentioned again.

As a constantly say, this is my complaint about Blackadder, so I was quite chuffed when someone (David Dickinson?) described Blackadder as "pantomime".

ADE

Queen Firey-Bou

Gruesome  result !

i suppose that reflects that me n sitcoms,  i just don't get it. fawlty towers is funny, the good life was incitment to murder, & fools & horses sentementalist drivel, Black adder is Mr bean being a smart arse ( tho baldrick Rocks ).

aieeeeeeee the flames , the flamess.....

Quirkafleeg

But.. but... arn't you living the Good Life, Bou?

Queen Firey-Bou

No, i don't simper enough or have a bumbling incompetent twat as a husband. Nor do i have a face like a hampster or toffs living next door.

in fact, i'm more basil fawtly crossed with del boy these days.

what about yous lot ? what characters are most like yous !?

-=>DEMONIZER<=-

I'll unshamefully admit to liking The Vicar of Dibley - some of the gags might have fell flat, but there are less likeable stars than Dawn French and the whole thing had a pleasantly dreamy feel to it.

And that bloke who goes, "no..no..no..no..yes!" etc. was great.

And it was much funnier than Father Ted, which was highly overrated I thought.

Generally Contrary

++a face like a hampster++

Are you dissing Felicity Kendal?  Or even Penelope Keith?  Too of the sexiest women of the 1970s, in very different ways.

My vote would have been for Blackadder, probably.  With all that quality in the top ten it's perhaps better to imagine who we would vote against.  I would have voted against the Vicar of Dibley and Only Fools and Horses, that's two from the top three!

Generally Contrary

Hang on, I would have also voted against One Foot in the Grave.

Trout

House of Usher

I knew it, I knew it. I knew Only Fools and Horses would win. It's such a pile of shite, there couldn't have been any other result. My own favourite was The Good Life, but I know it's not very fashionable to like it these days.

I was surprised to see Yes, Minister rated so highly. Sounds like snobbery to me. If I vote for Yes, Minister, would people think I'm clever or something? Didn't it get over 100,000 votes? That's quite impressive.

But my favourite sitcom of all time is still The Good Life.
STRIKE !!!