Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Got no problem with the c word, I'm very difficult to shock or offend, but I base a lot of my opinion on the plethora of interviews that Gervais, Merchant and Pilkington have given over the years. They openly talk of Gervais being a "bully" - someone who will do an annoying thing in your face until you react, or mercilessly take the piss out of one of the group, but it's okay because it's funny. I've known many people like that, funny as fuck in the pub when their spotlight is turned on someone else, and thus very well known and popular, but it's shitty to have to grin and bear it when you're on the thick end of the bantz.

I love the Office, Extras, his series of tour DVDs (hated Derek), so I consider myself a fan - that sort of character does generate good comedy, but I reckon I'd not get on with him in real life*.

*see also John Cleese

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 March, 2019, 10:05:47 PM
Got no problem with the c word, I'm very difficult to shock or offend, but I base a lot of my opinion on the plethora of interviews that Gervais, Merchant and Pilkington have given over the years. They openly talk of Gervais being a "bully" - someone who will do an annoying thing in your face until you react, or mercilessly take the piss out of one of the group, but it's okay because it's funny. I've known many people like that, funny as fuck in the pub when their spotlight is turned on someone else, and thus very well known and popular, but it's shitty to have to grin and bear it when you're on the thick end of the bantz.

[spoiler]Which is exactly what he does to his Wife in the series. The first time it's mildly amusing but by the 3rd or 4th time I just sat there thinking 'prick'.[/spoiler]

radiator

I think The Office is the only good thing he's ever done.

The Legendary Shark

I think Extras was very good as well.

I'd love to see him do something with Peter Kay.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

Extras had its moments (the Patrick Stewart episode, mostly) but I found it largely self indulgent and cringey in all the wrong ways.

His stand ups I always found painfully unfunny.

The longer his career goes on, the more clear to me it is that The Office was a fluke.

The Legendary Shark

"All their clothes had rotted off..."

"...but it was too late, I'd already seen everything."

Classic!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Doom Patrol Episode 4... You saw that, right? I didn't imagine that...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 March, 2019, 10:40:08 PM

There's a Doom Patrol TV show??  :o

Please tell me it is watchable!

Dandontdare

yup, currently only available on the DCU channel so I've not seen it yet, but for a teaser, watch episode 4 of Titans on Netflix

Hawkmumbler

Currently working my way through Brave Police J Decker, the 1994 entry in Takaras Brave series of super mecha shows. Delightfully entertaining and blissfully self aware without coming at the expense of characters or genre tropes, J Decker has rightly earned is resurgence in popularity.

Rately

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 March, 2019, 05:38:25 PM
yup, currently only available on the DCU channel so I've not seen it yet, but for a teaser, watch episode 4 of Titans on Netflix

Fantastic!

Thanks for the info.

Mattofthespurs

Agents of Shield.

It's alright.  A bit of fun. Marvel TV version of Scooby Doo.

Dandontdare

That reminds me, I found an Inhumans series the other week, buried deep in the lower reaches of Freeview on Pick TV - these are the comic version rather than the Agents of Shield portrayal - Maximus has taken over Attilan and Black Bolt is stranded on Earth, the rest of the Royal family are spread across America looking for him. That's about as far as I got as Pick TV is one of the channels that my dodgy aerial can't cope with and the constant pixellated freezes made the rest unwatchable. Seemed rather lightweight in tone with none of the grimness of other modern TV supes.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 March, 2019, 10:40:08 PM

Yeah.......Yeah.......

Aye......

Yeah......

I like this show.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention Jim.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Dark Matter. Just finished Season One and enjoyed it quite a lot. Half a dozen people come out of suspended animation aboard a drifting starship with no memory of who they are or why they are there. Cue lots of paranoia, fragments of recovered memories and plenty of shooty goodness. It kinda' puts me in mind of a cross between The Expanse and Farscape.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]