Main Menu

Dandy on the brink?

Started by Colin YNWA, 14 August, 2012, 06:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: vzzbux on 16 August, 2012, 09:58:18 AM
I cant see the need for the reimaging of main characters. As a kid I was happy with the art style. Maybe this is one of the reasons of the decline.

V

I agree its all in the detail. I loved buying it when i were but a nipper because of the detail and care and love the artists you used to instill in each character. I spent ages trying to emulate the drawing styles because of that very detail. Same reason I used to buy the Topper and Monster Fun not so much the stories but the art. Pandering to the masses and diluting the style for a pseudo manga trend is where they've gone wrong imho.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Richmond Clements

But these are the opinions of 40yr old men, who are not the target audience. For my Money, Jamie Smart is one of the greatest talents we have in British comics at the moment.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 August, 2012, 01:31:26 PM
But these are the opinions of 40yr old men, who are not the target audience. For my Money, Jamie Smart is one of the greatest talents we have in British comics at the moment.

Though the hard truth is, given the circulation figures, it would seem that the target audience isn't interested either. It could be argued that more to do with a lack of interest in comics, but if the Beano is able to sustain a significantly higher audience something is amiss with the Dandy specifically?

Mardroid

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 August, 2012, 01:08:40 PM
Online-only from December, which is, to say the least, depressing.

Still, not as bad as it could have been. They're continuing online at least.

Not ideal though when considering the younger age of the target audience.

James Stacey

The main problem historically with the Dandy has always appeared to be it's not the Beano.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 August, 2012, 01:31:26 PM
But these are the opinions of 40yr old men, who are not the target audience.

Worse than that, Rich: 40 year-old sci-fi fans.  We're the last people whose opinion should be sought on anything at all.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Korky the Cat: London Rioter?

No I don't think the Pat Mills treatment would work really. Take something quaint and beef it up is not going to save the Dandy which was very much of it's time. Also the Title itself has all sorts of negative connotations politically incorrect though that might be to say so.

Not for one minute would an average Nintendo Junkie brat be caught dead reading a comic with that title. Oddly phrased Japanese game related characters Yes; Dandy -No.   
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

GordonR

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 16 August, 2012, 02:44:48 PM
Korky the Cat: London Rioter?

No I don't think the Pat Mills treatment would work really. Take something quaint and beef it up is not going to save the Dandy which was very much of it's time. Also the Title itself has all sorts of negative connotations politically incorrect though that might be to say so.       

Not for one minute would an average Nintendo Junkie brat be caught dead reading a comic with that title. Oddly phrased Japanese game related characters Yes; Dandy -No.

It's a dated word, sure, but does the word 'dandy' have some other meaning that I'm unaware of?

McNulty: "You know what they call a guy who pays that much attention to his clothes, don't you?"
Bunk:     "A grown-up."

James Stacey

I can't see Dandy having any reference to a child these days other than the comic itself. Same goes for the Beano for that matter.

Trout

Dandy, Beano and their short-lived sister title Magic all took their names from contemporary words meaning "great".

Or possibly "radical", "wicked" or something else that young people say now.

Groovy.

GordonR

Quote from: Trout on 16 August, 2012, 03:25:10 PM
Dandy, Beano and their short-lived sister title Magic all took their names from contemporary words meaning "great".

Groovy.

Surely Beezer falls into the same pattern as well?

Tombo

Quote from: Trout on 16 August, 2012, 03:25:10 PM

Groovy.

Based on what I hear from the local 5 and 6 year olds round here the Dandy should change it's name to "Fucking Mint That" to appeal to the youth of today.

M.I.K.

Quote from: GordonR on 16 August, 2012, 03:03:15 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 16 August, 2012, 02:44:48 PM
Also the Title itself has all sorts of negative connotations politically incorrect though that might be to say so.       

It's a dated word, sure, but does the word 'dandy' have some other meaning that I'm unaware of?

I was inside a Fopp yesterday. It didn't occur to me that there was anything wrong with being there at the time.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: M.I.K. on 16 August, 2012, 03:35:13 PM
I was inside a Fopp yesterday. It didn't occur to me that there was anything wrong with being there at the time.

I'm a Dapper Dan man, myself.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.