Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Buttonman on 23 March, 2015, 07:56:59 PM
Everything is better with brown sauce!

I'm fine thanks Tom - nearly 3 weeks with the buzzer and all is good!

Huzzah!

I'll get that pint back yet...
DDT did a job on me

Satanist

Quote from: Dog Deever on 23 March, 2015, 06:57:47 PM
Broon Sass? On a haggis?
You're mental you are.

Its the way to go, see also stovies and mince and tatties.

*yum*
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Buttonman

And we're back! After a few health issues, which I didn't chose to publicise, I was certified fit for a week in Mallorca (I'd spent my whole life thinking it was called 'Majorca!'). Sadly the pass wasn't for unrestricted roaming and overindulging so we went to an all inclusive place in Cala D'or. This was fine but the food wasn't to my usual gourmand standards, especially as I had a bit of most things added to my plate making for a veritable dog's dinner.

We did however venture out a few time,s so in one easy to flick by post here is what not to eat in Spain this summer.

Our hotel did try and vary things with theme nights. Here's me on Asian night - check out those Chinese lanterns! The dress code was somewhat lax as my friend behind demonstrates but the food was OK - lots of noodles although the prawn crackers were cold and stale.

I didn't really enjoy the puddings - a lot of cream and sponge - this one hit the mark however - car shaped flumps and jelly - where's me pills?

This is a different restaurant in our hotel where the had Italian nights three times a week. This lasange lacked flavour and was too runny. Good shirt choice though!

Out on the town now where scandalously my 'all inclusive' wristband failed to hold sway. This was 'Creamed potato with ham shavings' which I had to try from the description alone. Turned out to be a very nice soup with big bits of bacon in it. Result!

Same place and shirt for a very acceptable pepperoni pizza. This place only opened for the season the night we went so free wine was given!

This was an Indian next to a go-cart track where the best places are always situated in my experience. I'm having the lamb biryani which was excellent.

I ate too much at the Indian, although not as much as this fella...

Our last night feed was at a BBQ place and I had the lamb chops. 8 of them! and they were very nice although the salad was a bit limp.

Tune in later for some late Summer feeds!

Hawkmumbler

Well well well! Nice to see the thread revived a new! A very nice selection of food their, Buttman!

And i'm off to Malta on the Monday morning so expect some food updates from myself over the coming week. ;)

Greg M.

Buttonman! Reviewing things! Is it just me, or has his head got really big while he was in hospital? It's like when Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer used to do Otis Redding and Marvin Gaye. Must be the camera angle.

PS: Yes, I am just being a dick - Buttonman, you are the man, and it is well cool to see you back on the culinary review circuit.

Buttonman

You bastard! No running for 3 months and a diet of beta blockers will do that for you! Still squeezing into an 'M' and the diet has already restarted!

Greg M.

I'd feel bad if I wasn't laughing so much. Where's Proudhuff when you need him to deflect the flak?

Naw, but really - good man, Buttonman. You'll still be going when my corpulent carcass has keeled over into a ditch and is being hosed down a storm drain.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Greg M. on 02 May, 2015, 11:57:50 PMYou'll still be going when my corpulent carcass has keeled over into a ditch and is being hosed down a storm drain.

I want that on a t-shirt.

This resurgent thread brings me deep, deep joy BM. How lucky we are to still be basking in the glory of your face and dinners. I've learnt so much about Mallorca I could burst.

Buttonman

The Wetherspoons Glasgow Comic Con dinner was ham eggs and chips. Yes, I know but it was only 680 calories - the nachos were nearly 1200! The photographer insisted the chips be arranged into a face before the photo could be taken.

Zarjazzer

world's greatest thread returns. In your face Egon Ronay! Nice chip arrangement.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

von Boom

We need some ratings BM or how else do you expect to replace Michelin.

Old Tankie

Glad to see you're up and about and enjoying the delights of "Majorca" but I have to say, with the possible exception of the Indian, that grub looks disgusting!  Whatever you paid, it was too much!!

Buttonman

And we're back for another culinary tour. Sadly this time I didn't have every meal photographed - I had every damn course photographed!

The tour this time took in the delights of Norfolk with lots of nice hotels, fast food joints and country pubs all getting a look in. There was a lot of medicinal wine taken so see if you can spot when the bottle was near finished. Sadly my license is presently suspended so my long suffering and photograph taking wife had to do all the driving.

I also apologise that many of the shirts from the Spain trip resurfaced here - didn't have the chance to go shopping what with all the near death and everything.

We had an early flight, so had coffee and a Danish pastry at Glasgow airport. I'm a bit bleary eyed here but should have noticed that the wife didn't get the decent but expensive pastry in shot!

Our first stop was in Great Yarmouth  and what a fine town it was. The 2p is king with the arcades full of the 2p drop machines that I like to watch on Youtube. I cleaned up and sometimes only paid £3 or £4 for a 10p plastic gonk.

Anyway we ventured up the main street and had a choice of two neighbouring American diners - one was called 'Fatso's' which was a bit close to home, so we went next door to  The Yankee Traveller and it proved to be a good choice. I started on the hot wings :

These were cracking. In America they cut these in two so you get a wing and a drumstick bit. Here it was all one big crunchy piece, covered in the familiar hot sauce you get in every state. Served with celery and blue cheese dip - 4 of these bad boys meant I was near full before my main course. Which was ...

...fajitas - and they were excellent. An endless pile of warm tortillas and heaps of chicken and fried onions and peppers. Only complaint was the small pot of salsa and its lack of potency. Still I'm shamed to report I only ate about three-quarters of what I was served up. I blame the beers.

COMMANDO FORCES

Carolyn will be impressed that your gastronomic tales have returned :D

TordelBack

Looking pretty spry for a cyborg revenant, I must say.