Main Menu

Preacher (TV Series)...

Started by Goaty, 18 November, 2013, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

That sounds good, but think it got be stock footage!

The pilot episode of AMC's "Preacher" premiered at SXSW the other day to some truly gushingly positive reviews, but one of the most talked about elements was a very short surprise cameo that people can't stop talking about.

SPOILERS AHEAD

[spoiler]Like the comic, the series has Texas preacher Jesse Custer (played by Dominic Cooper) becoming possessed by a supernatural entity named Genesis who grants him unnatural power - the possession itself causing his church and congregation to explode in the process.

EW reports that the pilot has a twist - turns out before he gets to Jesse, the entity goes around the world possessing various preachers while they practice their faith - but their bodies can't handle it and so they violently explode.

This is shown in a montage, a montage that includes none other than Tom Cruise standing outside a Scientologist church. He explodes as well. Producer Evan Goldberg tells the mag: "It's amazing, no one said anything! We kept waiting for somebody to say 'no' and now it's too late."[/spoiler]

You'll get to see it for yourself when "Preacher" premieres May 22nd.

JayzusB.Christ

Do you know what?  I'm really looking forward to this.  I got a bit tired of the comic as it went on, but still dying to see it on the increasingly-less-small screen.   
However, I'm not seeing any mention of [spoiler]the Saint of Killers[/spoiler]; surely one of the series' [spoiler]most iconic characters. I just want to hear his voice.[/spoiler]

I think Dominic Cooper is about ten years older than Jesse is in the comic, which to be fair makes me feel a tad more comfortable about being old myself.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

COMMANDO FORCES

The first picture of Arseface has surfaced, for those who want to have a look :lol:

richerthanyou

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 March, 2016, 04:45:27 AM
The first picture of Arseface has surfaced, for those who want to have a look :lol:

Not deformed enough IMO

The rest of his face looks too normal....

Still I'm looking forward to seeing the show.
(  ゚,_ゝ゚)   

DrRocka

Gah, everything about this seems SO watered down, and yet I really do want to see it, if only to mentally cross from my list of things to love.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Goaty

radiator

Curiosity about this TV adaptation has finally got me to revisit the original comics for what must be the first time in 15+ years.

As I feared, so far at least, it really hasn't aged well at all. Some of the story stuff, like Cassidy and Tulip just randomly finding Jesse minutes after meeting each other - and Cassidy subsequently turning out to be a vampire, is really clunky and contrived, and other things - like the aftermath of the Saint of Killer's first massacre - the police and FBI agent having a relaxed chat about Root and his son and resolutely not freaking out - or even seeming that bothered - that dozens of cops just got gunned down in cold blood really jumps out and slaps me around the face reading it now.

I know Preacher was always a very pulpy, cartoonish series, but you still need some semblance that a story is taking place in some kind of living, breathing world with real stakes. It's all much looser and rougher than the tight, brilliantly-realised series I remember tbh.

And the whole Jesse/John Wayne thing was and remains a shameless rip-off of Clarence talking to Elvis in True Romance. Wonder if they do that aspect in the TV show?

Goaty

Devons Daddy

22nd May for us mere mortals is the official first airing on TV.

Dominic Dorn the lead character  played FLEMING in the very good SKY tv show drama about Ian fleming, based on that fact this has added to whole thing for me,

iTunes TAKE ME MONEY!!!!
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: radiator on 12 April, 2016, 05:35:33 PM
I know Preacher was always a very pulpy, cartoonish series, but you still need some semblance that a story is taking place in some kind of living, breathing world with real stakes. It's all much looser and rougher than the tight, brilliantly-realised series I remember tbh.

Yes, I really enjoyed it at the time (although I thought it paled in comparison to Watchmen, Animal Man etc).  It was a very original approach for Vertigo; a sort of blue-collar movie-goer's comic, I suppose, as opposed to Pete Milligan's output that assumed everybody was familiar with the works of Joyce and Hemingway.

But a lot of it seems immature and silly in hindsight; I don't mean the dirty jokes or anything but the kind of first-year-studenty banter  ('You like Bill Hicks?  I like Bill Hicks too! He's awesome!'), and the fix-everything-with-fists attitude  (Domestic violence?  Beat the shit out of them.  Racism? Beat the shit out of them.  Paedophilia?  Beat the shit out of them.).  And I've always hated Jesse as a lead character, with his simple-minded macho bullshit ('Shrinks are for assholes.') - he was a dick then and I still think he is.

It's not nearly as good as some of Garth's later stuff (The Boys, for example, is an amazingly neatly-scripted story, and Crossed somehow makes a zombie apocalypse into something hauntingly sublime),but I still enjoy the odd re-read and I still cannot fucking wait to see this series.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Goaty

radiator

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 April, 2016, 08:29:14 AM
Quote from: radiator on 12 April, 2016, 05:35:33 PM

Yes, I really enjoyed it at the time (although I thought it paled in comparison to Watchmen, Animal Man etc).  It was a very original approach for Vertigo; a sort of blue-collar movie-goer's comic, I suppose, as opposed to Pete Milligan's output that assumed everybody was familiar with the works of Joyce and Hemingway.

But a lot of it seems immature and silly in hindsight; I don't mean the dirty jokes or anything but the kind of first-year-studenty banter  ('You like Bill Hicks?  I like Bill Hicks too! He's awesome!'), and the fix-everything-with-fists attitude  (Domestic violence?  Beat the shit out of them.  Racism? Beat the shit out of them.  Paedophilia?  Beat the shit out of them.). And I've always hated Jesse as a lead character, with his simple-minded macho bullshit ('Shrinks are for assholes.') - he was a dick then and I still think he is.

It's not nearly as good as some of Garth's later stuff (The Boys, for example, is an amazingly neatly-scripted story, and Crossed somehow makes a zombie apocalypse into something hauntingly sublime),but I still enjoy the odd re-read and I still cannot fucking wait to see this series.

Yeah, totally agree - much like the films of Kevin Smith, I thought it was amazingly clever and funny aged 15, but now it all seems a bit embarrassing and juvenile. There's some slightly troubling and retrograde views on homosexuality in evidence that went right over my head at the time, but jumps out at me now. Seemingly every character in it who isn't 100% straight and 'normal' is portrayed as some sort of deviant. And yeah, Jesse seems like a real knucklehead on this reread - like the bit where he and Cassidy shove a cat in a toilet and flush it - I don't really see a joke, just cruelty. It only makes me like them less.

Having said all that, I'm on to the 'Proud American' arc right now and I think it's aged much better than the earlier material. Looking back I think I always liked the action-heavy story arcs revolving around The Grail more than anything else.

I'm really, really curious to see how the TV adaptation goes, because a lot of this stuff just wouldn't fly nowadays. I'm hoping that they can take the core elements and make a show that's a bit more mature and weightier. But with Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg at the reins, I'll believe it when I see it.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: radiator on 10 May, 2016, 01:54:48 AM

Yeah, totally agree - much like the films of Kevin Smith, I thought it was amazingly clever and funny aged 15, but now it all seems a bit embarrassing and juvenile.

I was just having this discussion last night - the Kevin Smith thing is weird because I thought he was great when I was 14 but now that I realise when he made most of them at the age I was when I was waaaayyy over that kind of infantile stoner humour. He made Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back when he was 30 :S

ThryllSeekyr

Steve Green

Tulip is played by Ruth Negga, who is to the left of Jesse.