Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Georgia has flipped to the Democrats, with not many votes left to count.

Rately

Quote from: CalHab on 06 November, 2020, 10:06:46 AM
Georgia has flipped to the Democrats, with not many votes left to count.

917 votes ahead of Trump at moment.

I know Biden will be a competent President, not in my opinion what America needs, but at least it is a good swift kick in the balls to all the racists, conspiracy theorists and losers.

CalHab

As someone watching from the UK, competency seems like a worthwhile goal to me.

Rately

Quote from: CalHab on 06 November, 2020, 11:41:55 AM
As someone watching from the UK, competency seems like a worthwhile goal to me.

Competent, decent and empathetic, to be fair. Something that Trump, and those that orbit him are completely lacking in.

Now if we could only get a competent Prime Minister and functioning Government.

Professor Bear

I suspect Biden will still find ways to disappoint, particularly in regards to race, immigration, wealth inequality, jobs, corruption, foreign policy, healthcare and the economy.
A lot of people seem to be mistaking voters who hate Trump for voters that support the Democrats or their latest front man, and all Biden represents is a chance - that the Democrats will almost certainly squander - to go back to the neoliberal consensus that represented the exact set of conditions that elected Trump in the first place, so we'll be doing all this again very soon, and it just remains to see what sideshow freak the Republicans trot out to run in 2024 or 2028.
After the last 5 years, the term "President Kid Rock" has a depressing air of plausibility to it.

Colin YNWA

Reports of Biden having over taken Trump in Pennslyvania now. Christ the dream of quiet competence is coming true, it actually might be coming true.

And remember were America goes the UK follows... maybe... man imagine having a government run with quiet competence... just imagine...

Jim_Campbell

Biden's 5,000+ up in Pennsylvania now. Arizona and Nevada are going to hold for Biden. It's done, whatever happens in Georgia.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Bring on the Alaskan count on I say - he's on a bloody roll!

Rately

Some good news.

Seen reports today that the Democrats wrote to the Secret Service and the US Military before Election, asking what would happen if Biden won and Trump refused to move aside, and they have been assured that if he hasn't vacated the White House in an orderly fashion, they will move him along.

JOE SOAP

Joe Biden is likely a one-term President. Apart from being elderly, he's Reagan II and not particularly Progressive – which is what many of his electorate want him, and Kamala Harris, to be. The Democrats will see the 'greatest amount of votes for a candidate in US history' as tacit approval of their usual MO and disregard rural America, again.

No doubt the Republicans will seize the gift they've been given and mobilise the huge army of believe any aul shite zealots Trump has amassed and continue to build towards their one-party state – only they'll be more clever about it and run a Latino candidate next time, or sumpin' like that.

Funt Solo

Once it's called for Biden, I'm going to allow myself 24 hours of celebration at the overthrow of a tyrant before I lay back down and let the waves of cynicism wash over me again.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Lorenzo

Enjoy that feeling while it lasts - it is a good feeling - cynicism is overrated. I allowed myself a small scream and a Balki style Dance of Joy when I heard the Pennsylvania news.
It would really make my day if you changed back to your Vaughan Oliver avatar...

Funt Solo

Your wish is my command.

---

Pundits pointing out that Arizona and Georgia are perhaps punishing the Twitter Monster for being mean to their beloved sons (e.g. McCain).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Lorenzo

:D

I wonder whether my love for the Cocteau Twins would be the same without Vaughan's covers.

Funt Solo

Got told I looked like Pete Tong once, as well.

---

Oh, I hope they get the counts all completed without violence breaking out. Tense times.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++