Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

Well here's my thoughts on the situation...

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

The Legendary Shark

Heh, we should probably let this drop, now. I'm not going to convince you and you're not going to convince me - at least not on a 2000AD forum!

I've enjoyed the discussion but these are fractious issues and, quite aside from all the paranoia and mud slinging and theoreticals, living, breathing, real people actually died in the events we've been discussing.

I therefore propose a truce before we all start ripping chunks off one another.

Instead, maybe we should discuss something a little less ire-inspiring like, maybe, who is Barry Soetoro?

*titters*
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Isn't it just the name Obama's stepfather (whose name was Soetoro) used for him when the family lived in Indonesia?  Is there a mystery I'm missing here?

The Legendary Shark

Nah, I was just being devilish  :lol:
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

mogzilla

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 13 March, 2011, 07:13:33 PM
Heh, we should probably let this drop, now. I'm not going to convince you and you're not going to convince me - at least not on a 2000AD forum!

I've enjoyed the discussion but these are fractious issues and, quite aside from all the paranoia and mud slinging and theoreticals, living, breathing, real people actually died in the events we've been discussing.

I therefore propose a truce before we all start ripping chunks off one another.

Instead, maybe we should discuss something a little less ire-inspiring like, maybe, who is Barry Soetoro?

*titters*

we humbly accept your surrender  ;)

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

The Legendary Shark

More amusing, really.

I have neither the wit, intelligence or desire to be condescending.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jared Katooie

I wish our government was in control.  :(

The Legendary Shark

I wish we were in control of our government.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jared Katooie

I wish your government was in control of us.  :(

JOE SOAP

A government of sharks. I prefer none myself.

M.I.K.

If wishes were fishes, sharks would never go hungry.

TordelBack

If wishes were sharks my First Year French teacher would be chum.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 March, 2011, 11:08:41 PM
A government of sharks. I prefer none myself.

No sharks or no government?

If no sharks, then all I can say is:   :'(  (Well, excepting hammerhead sharks, that is. All the rest of us normal sharks think that hammerheads are foolish. Even jellyfish laugh at hammerheads, and jellyfish have brains the size of a molecule. So yes, get rid of the hammerheads by all means...)

If no government, well, that sounds good in theory. However, I think what we need to do is re-evaluate exactly what we want out of government. To my mind, a government's role is to coordinate the frameworks of society. For example, a government should make sure that all the sewers are working properly and all the roads are in good repair. It should make sure that nobody goes without food, water, shelter, medicine, law etc. We should strip the government of the power to borrow money "on our behalf," ensure that it holds the welfare of the individual above the welfare of corporations and should absolutely and irrevocably be stripped of its power to take us to war if we don't want to go. It should stay out of our personal lives, keep no secrets from us and stop stealing our wealth. It should be our government, not some distant, autonomous Elites' Club.

In my view, the government has one fundamental role, a role which it has been neglecting and even actively working against: To provide a decent life for everyone - no exceptions, no compromises.

(Well, except for hammerheads, that is...)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]