Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Westminster --> The English.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tempunaut on 26 August, 2014, 01:13:36 PMI've read the Scotland is populated by ill mannered savages.

Please link to this particular source, because that's not something I've come across in any of the Better Together campaign. Or is it just another  wee bit of salmond-esque exaggeration for effect?

Quote from: Proudhuff on 26 August, 2014, 07:02:06 PM
'Salmond is only pushing this because he can then blame all the economic damage "independence" has caused on the English'

and your evidence is? No where, for god know how long, has he, or the SNP, blamed 'the english'

The one thing that struck me about last night's debate (and God only knows why Darling didn't challenge it) is that Salmond kept banging on about " a sovereign mandate for the Scottish people" for a united currency, but that's bollocks.

The ONLY mandate they will have is to become an independent country, not that they get to force a monetray union. I did see a scenario where where they win the yes vote, currency union doesn't happen (as the bank of England and the rUK parties have said) and entry to Europe doesn't happen (as the EC president has said), giving the Scots decades of opportunity to blame their tanking economy on those English/Euro bastards.

Best not get into that situation in the first place if you ask me. But I'm only a UK citizen, so I don't get a vote.

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 26 August, 2014, 07:19:11 PM
Quote from: Tempunaut on 26 August, 2014, 01:13:36 PMI've read the Scotland is populated by ill mannered savages.

Please link to this particular source, because that's not something I've come across in any of the Better Together campaign. Or is it just another  wee bit of salmond-esque exaggeration for effect?

The comment was clearly made within a general discussion of social media, not the official NO campaign:

Quote from: Tempunaut on 26 August, 2014, 01:13:36 PM
I find myself coming to this small, peaceful corner of the interweb for moment of quiet reflection.  This morning, i have read comments from concerned No voters and our friends and family south of the border. I've read that Salmon is a bully, because he spoke over a man who was doing the same. I've read that the snp are racists, that nationalists are Nazis. I've read the Scotland is populated by ill mannered savages. I've read calls for a boycott on Scottish goods, that scots should be prevented from holding offices of state, that Scotland should be stripped of its political powers.  I've read that if Scotland does vote Yes; the rest of the UK should do it's best to ruin Scotland financially.
I've read all of these things written by ordinary voters who don't want us to leave them.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 26 August, 2014, 07:03:04 PM

well that says more about your lack of understanding that the First Minister's
DDT did a job on me

Modern Panther

QuotePlease link to this particular source, because that's not something I've come across in any of the Better Together campaign. Or is it just another  wee bit of salmond-esque exaggeration for effect?

As sauchie said, this came from social media rather that the Better Together campaign.  I'm a bit concerned that you thought the other comments could actually be official Westminster policy, to the extent that you didn't question them.

There's also no intention of "forcing" the UK into a currency union.  SNP policy is that a union would be best for Scotland and best for the rest of the UK.  That's the position going into negotiations, since it provides financial stability and clarity, prevents to devaluation of sterling caused by removing 10% of assets from the "sterling-zone", allows for the sharing of national debt, saves Scotland taking about 9% of bank of England assets and saves English companies to £500 million in bank charges it would costs that to trade with Scotland every year. 

Every party in Westminster has the policy of refusing to even discuss the matter.  They complain it would mean bailing out Scottish banks (because of the apparently huge number of investment banks we have in Scotland) in the unlikely event of a second economic collapse - whilst at the same time insisting we are all Better Together to share financial risk.

Also, the EU president didn't say that Scotland wouldn't get into Europe.  It's not his decision to make.  Since Scotland holds massive oil reserves, growing renewable energy potential, huge fishing areas, has been a member of the EU for years anyway, and is more than willing to accept EU immigration and business, I would expect that our European neighbours to be slightly more willing to negotiate with an independent Scotland.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Proudhuff on 26 August, 2014, 07:49:12 PM

I have noticed that nationalists can be absolutely blind to their own euphemisms. I am certain many nationalists don't even realise how anti-English they come across to the English. Or maybe when we take offence at being slagged off relentless by Salmond and his cronies it's just because we're English, and don't understand that he's a loveable crusader for social justice, a concept that in itself we also don't understand.

Modern Panther

Ancient Otter

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 26 August, 2014, 02:58:54 PMGood Lord - if I get any more cynical I'll have to stop believing in the water cycle. (Oh wait - we live on a wet planet mostly covered with water in one form or another and we're running out of the stuff; so it looks like skepticism concerning this absurd "water cycle" is already on the agenda. Whaddoyaknow? For once, I'm ahead of the curve!)

According to wikipedia, these factors affect the water cycle:

QuoteHuman activities that alter the water cycle include:

agriculture
    industry
    alteration of the chemical composition of the atmosphere
    construction of dams
    deforestation and afforestation
    removal of groundwater from wells
    water abstraction from rivers
    urbanization

You do not believe any of these affect it?

Hawkmumbler

Certainly not the the degree foil heads would make you believe.

ZenArcade

It is unfortunate that 7 billion people have a massive need for fresh water for a myriad of different needs. There is a lack of water in, as usual, third world countries, and any that there is will become (if not already extant) a major antagonizing factor in relations. Consider the middle east, with the Jordan river or the Tigris/Euphrates, these rivers main line through war zones at the moment, what if some one threatened the supply, like ISIL and the reservoir recently. What about the water systems in the Indian sub continent or the Nile.
Even consider the UK, there is panic in a dry spell as the population is concentrated in the South and East, the water is in the North (Scotland)!
The answer many would say, would be desalination, the problem iis this is massively energy intensive. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Ancient Otter

And it is not just a shortage of water, it is a also a shortage of uncontaminated water. Like look up information on mercury, plastic and radioactive contamination.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Proudhuff on 26 August, 2014, 07:49:12 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 26 August, 2014, 07:03:04 PM

Don't be obtuse.

The Legendary Shark

Grennie - the answer to your question is 'no'. Glad I could clear that up for you.
As to the water cycle, I was trying (and failing, as usual) to be funny. I recall a documentary (should be online somewhere) called something like "Blue Gold - World Water Wars" which has some interesting insights. For example, short of water Africa exports tons and tons of water to Europe every month in the form of meat and crops and a lot of the rest is contaminated by foreign-owned factories taking advantage of Africa's cheap land and labour.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

I thought everyone was running with the joke about the water cycle to be honest!

The Legendary Shark

I had one once, but it sank.
I'll get me coat...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]