Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Too true, JBC - but imagine the world we'd have today if that "mutiny" had spread. A curtailed WWI, no Russian or US involvement, no Stalin, no Treaty of Versailles, no WWII...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Old Tankie

By Christmas 1914, Sharky, the Russians were well and truly involved in WWI.

The Legendary Shark

You're absolutely correct, Tankie. I don't know why I typed that - I blame the Christmas ale!
It's all conjecture anyway. An early end to the war might easily have led to a worse future (or present). Still, at least millions of lives might have been spared, lives that might have wasted in other ways.
But I'm an optimist and like to think we would now live in a better world had the lions decided to ignore the donkeys.
Doesn't excuse my basic mistake, though, sorry.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Old Tankie

No need to apologise, hope you've had a good day. I'm starting to flag, too much Christmas pud!!

The Legendary Shark

I've had a very good day, thanks. Hope you have, too - and everyone who comes arguing on this thread.
Let this day forever be known as the Great Political Thread Armistice of 2016. Footie, anyone?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

2015, even.
Not doing too well today, am I? :D
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Footie in No Man's Land it is.  Merry Christmas to the Brits and Bosch alike!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Football is for losers.  I'd have just gone back to fighting instead.

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 December, 2015, 07:04:26 PM
It's all conjecture anyway. An early end to the war might easily have led to a worse future (or present). Still, at least millions of lives might have been spared, lives that might have wasted in other ways.
But I'm an optimist and like to think we would now live in a better world had the lions decided to ignore the donkeys.
Doesn't excuse my basic mistake, though, sorry.
Might be misreading that, but wouldn't an optimist believe that we're currently living in the best of all possible worlds?

Merry Boxing Day, everybody!

The Legendary Shark

Only a deluded one.
I believe people are capable of great good (the optimistic part of me) but are too scared to try (the realistic part of me).
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Was gonna post something about the spate of Labour resignations, but they've all been replaced already.  Whoever it was who resigned this morning being replaced within hours - by someone who seems suspiciously more qualified for the position.

For something long-touted by Blairites as their nuclear option, it's not exactly seismic stuff thus far, anyway.  Maybe I'm getting old, but it seems to me that commies purging the ranks used to be interesting.

Jim_Campbell

Might turn out to be cannier politics than people are giving credit for, if the Blairites are reshuffling themselves out of the front bench.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

And yet the BBC and others banged on about the reshuffle for ages, ignoring pretty much everything else going on in the political arena. This is a gift to the Conservatives, and it's the gift that keeps on giving. McKinnell today was baffling: supposedly dismayed at internal conflict and so added to it. I genuinely don't understand what the Blairites are trying to achieve now, beyond bringing down the entire Labour party in flames.

(Also, odd that Corbyn's Labour was ridiculed by Cameron at actually taking a bit of time to do a reshuffle, suggesting that Conservative ones are done in about three minutes.)

Hawkmumbler

Gervais certainly doesn't deserve all the flack he's getting. Caitlynn Jenner is a vile person to begin with.

Professor Bear

I thought we were all on board that Caitlyn Jenner is an amazing beautiful woman who had the exquisite bravery of a beautiful butterfly flying against the wind - and then this shit flies out of people's mouths.