Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 21 November, 2016, 11:48:17 AM
Then we watched As Above So Below on Netflix, which looked like it'd be a bit of a lame neutered Hollywood attempt to emulate something like [REC] (the writer/director apparently did the US remake of that), and it took us completely by surprise. Really, really enjoyed it. It's basically about a Lara Croft-alike who gathers a group to head into undiscovered areas of the catacombs under Paris to find a stone that grants eternal life, and what occurs is a slightly odd combo of [REC], The Descent and The Goonies. Sounds weird, but the solving riddles and finding treasure adventure angle really blended well with the horror, which is really effectively claustrophobic in places and captures a bit of that found-footage rollercoaster intensity that the best ones manage.

Really didn't expect much, and we all agreed it was a rollicking good time.

I'd echo this 100% Keef.
Picked it up for a fiver last year on DVD, with nothing but low expectations (partially based on the poor TV adverts).

A diamond in the rough.

Mardroid

Suburban Gothic on Netflix

It's basically about a young man who used to see ghosts as a kid, and then stopped. He's now a bit of an unemployed slacked, and has to move back in with his parents in his home town... and a whole bunch of weirdness starts up again.

It has a lot of comedy, but there is some genuine horror in there. The characters are likeable and amusing, and there are a great cast of supporting characters. Having recently binge watched the entirety series and movie of Twin Peaks, I was interested to see Ray Wise playing the main character's racist dad. Also having watched and enjoyed the first series of Ash Vs Evil Dead last year I was interested to see Ray Santiago in a small role sporting a similar crazy hair do.

This wasn't particularly original, ( and I think in a similar situation I'd be shouting at the ghosts [spoiler]"if you want me to do something for you, just tell me outright! Quit the freaky crap, with the floating little girl heads, puked eyeballs and ... dear me, that thing with the teeth...", but then you wouldn't have the horror, and I guess the restless dead need a bit of entertainment, right? [/spoiler]) but the blend of comedy and quirky characters helps make it.

I suspect it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it.

Smith

Highlander.

What?First movie was...passable.

Professor Bear

Quote from: NapalmKev on 20 November, 2016, 07:58:25 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 19 November, 2016, 10:41:44 PM

Followed up with ID:Resurgence or at least the first 45 min...

I managed about an hour and 20 mins, or so. It's the sort of film that could drive you to take Hard Drugs just to forget the interminable, turgid Horseshit!

I too was expecting better of Roland Emmerich, having spent the last twenty years agreeing with everyone else about what a load of shit the first one was.

Mardroid

Convenience
Amusing little British film about two guys who attempt to rob petrol garage, and it all goes wrong.

Likeable characters. Very funny in places. I enjoyed it lot.

Smith

Kingsman: Secret Service.
It was better then expected.Pretty fun,actually.But I think comic was a bit better.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 November, 2016, 06:38:59 PM
I managed about an hour and 20 mins, or so. It's the sort of film that could drive you to take Hard Drugs just to forget the interminable, turgid Horseshit!

I too was expecting better of Roland Emmerich, having spent the last twenty years agreeing with everyone else about what a load of shit the first one was.
[/quote]

It's much, much worse than the first one, which is dumb as a bag of inbred rocks but was much more straightforward fun. And I was like 9 when I watched it, one of the first movies my parents ever sneaked me into.

Hawkmumbler

Konga is a giant ape movie where a future Alfred Pennyworth utters the words "If I hadn't shot her, Pussy would have swollen uncontrollably" with a straight face.

Utter nonsense but good fun, in terms of cheap giant monkey movies this lacks the miniature work (though the houses of parliament get it) of Mighty Peking Man but is still a hell of an 80 mins. Make's a good double bill with Gorgo.

Goaty

Watch Tank Girl on Netflix. Funny as last time I saw that was 19 years ago. Now, what a shite film! What the point of that!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Goaty on 24 November, 2016, 08:32:56 PM
Watch Tank Girl on Netflix. Funny as last time I saw that was 19 years ago. Now, what a shite film! What the point of that!

I saw it in the cinema too! It's no doubt a bad film (it's been a while so not sure how it holds up, I thought it was kind of fun at the time?) but I can say that seeing Lori Petty in that movie left a lifelong impression on my young mind. Wowzer.

Satanist

Apparently Tank Girl was tore a new one in post editing to be barely recognisable.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Professor Bear

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 22 November, 2016, 10:59:39 AM

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 November, 2016, 06:38:59 PMI too was expecting better of Roland Emmerich, having spent the last twenty years agreeing with everyone else about what a load of shit the first one was.

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 22 November, 2016, 10:59:39 AMIt's much, much worse than the first one, which is dumb as a bag of inbred rocks but was much more straightforward fun. And I was like 9 when I watched it, one of the first movies my parents ever sneaked me into.

An alternate-history post-apocalyptic alien invasion disaster movie with a multinational cast and just for good measure the Alien Queen is in it, only she's also Godzilla, chasing a school bus full of multi-racial orphans driven by a Jewish pensioner - it even has the mandatory blockbuster Laser Beam Thing In The Sky Finale and loads of CGI clutter in the action scenes so you don't really know what to be looking at in any given moment.  There is no other current movie/franchise that tries so hard to meet the low expectations we bring to the cinema*, and rather than being lauded for its continued dedication to unpretentiousness that began with the first movie, we still insist on acting like we expected - or wanted - something that aims higher.
Independence Day: Resurgence is the blockbuster we deserve.

* Except possibly The Force Awakens

radiator

Cop Car.

Loved this movie! A taut, sparse little thriller that does a lot with a really simple premise and has a really nicely judged, semi-humourous tone and some great performances. Strong recommend.

5/5

Grugz

seen a lot recently none of which made me want to watch them again

jeruZalem
exists

are the two which stood out as very lame although the squatch in exists was ok...
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Rately

Quote from: radiator on 26 November, 2016, 09:11:23 AM
Cop Car.

Loved this movie! A taut, sparse little thriller that does a lot with a really simple premise and has a really nicely judged, semi-humourous tone and some great performances. Strong recommend.

5/5

Watched this recently as well.Thought it was brilliant, although anything with Kevin Bacon in is sure to get a thumbs up from me.

Be interesting to see how the director goes from such a lovely judged, small scale thriller to a big tentpole event movie with his version of Spider-man!