Main Menu

Bisley shocker

Started by Mangamax, 19 November, 2002, 06:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangamax

So the Biz went ahead and drew Joe without the helmet eh?
Am i alone in thinking he didn't look too bad? Like a chunky older Bruce Wayne?
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

paulvonscott

Too much so, I assumed it was batbonce till I read the article.  Bamforth's helmetless Dredd looked more like it.

Mangamax

Hey, maybe they're related then. would explain why they don't get on

Devons Daddy

who is bisley to to do this?
 i have not seen it. but who paid him to draw this nonsense. dredds face is not about how he looks.its about what he represents. sad some one felt it was ok to break the rules.
whats next then, dredd starts to cry? dredd says never mind law breaker? come on this drokk.
should not have been allowed to happen.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Mangamax

Well, it never did happen - the point made was that Bisley is (or was back then) a maverick and would try to push what he could get away with.
Agree that Joe's face should never be seen but it was interesting to see an attempt and reckon it was consistent with the character

davidbishop

"should not have been allowed to happen. "

It wasn't. The BIz drew a helmetless Dredd in his pencils for Judgement on Gotham but it was vetoed for obvious reasons at the time. TPO #10 in Megazine 4.18 reveals this image for the first time.

Of course, if you object to seeing Dredd without his helmet, don't look at the Carlos Ezquerra art for movie adaptation. For approval reasons Carlos couldn't draw a likeness of Stallone do he drew a version of Dredd helmetless through most of the comic.

Ditto Ron Smith on the comic strip newspaper adaptation!

davidbishop

Wake

I thought that the Dredd Carlos drew in the movie adaption DID look like Stallone. Which Daily Star story contains a Ron Smith helmetless Dredd?

Wake

Leigh S

IIRC the Ron Smith Movie Dredd adaptation ran in the News of the Worlds "Sunday" magazine.  Fully painted colour, and Rons has drawn a fair version of Stallone in that too.  Both artists thought they'd sail close to the wind, or maybe werent aware they shouldnt try to capture the likeness?

Devons Daddy

thankyou for setting the record straight there.

i have no problem with an artists styles. but i do feel any artist invited to be part of publication to the level of being asked to depict dredd. must understand  this is not a time to make a name for them selves, in any way other then being a dredd artist.
with the exception of carlos. and if he decides it should happen wagner.

rant over. shall go and be all sheepish now and find a nice shallow and amusing thread.  

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Trout

Frankly, I consider the Carlos film adaptation to be a genuine representation of Dredd's real face by the judge's co-creator.

Bisley's image was interesting, even funny, but not impressive.

Is it my imagination or did he give Dredd white sideburns like Reed Richards?

Odd.

- Trout

2000AD Online

what is this madness dredd with no helmet by bisley what the...

DavidXBrunt

I assumed he did it as a joke, knowing that it would be vetoed...

Matt Timson

You idiots- I want to see it now!  Anybody got a scan?
Pffft...

Mangamax

If i'd seen what old Dreddy's seen over the years, it would be more than my temples that'd turn white...